Thanks again I dream of seeing this game on any Atari systems other then the Atari 400 800 XL XE and ST and I do have it for other systems like the MS-DOS, Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, C64, IBM PC, Macintosh, MSX, Famicom, NES, and ZX Spectrum. Again I LOVE this game and its a 100% better then the Super Breakout that was model by.

BTW is Alleyway count as a Arkaniod type game? I have it CIB

il_794xN.1197503426_pqjs.jpg

10 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Thanks again I dream of seeing this game on any Atari systems other then the Atari 400 800 XL XE and ST and I do have it for other systems like the MS-DOS, Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, C64, IBM PC, Macintosh, MSX, Famicom, NES, and ZX Spectrum. Again I LOVE this game and its a 100% better then the Super Breakout that was model by.

BTW is Alleyway count as a Arkaniod type game? I have it CIB

il_794xN.1197503426_pqjs.jpg

Yeah its a fun game I've also enjoyed playing.  I saw a version attempted earlier around 10 years ago and as I wanted to try programming in 7800basic so I thought that might be a good one to try (dream as you do!) as quite a few people were quite keen on a release.  I never thought I would get to this point as quickly as has happened - the community is so great and Mike (RevEng) has been incredibly supportive with his ongoing help and guidance (and great language he created!).  Then others such as Bob, Bobby, Marco and now yourself have stepped forward and offered to help to get this complete and available to the community.

We still have quite a bit of work to do - Al has offered to show the game at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo which is a great honor for us so I want to get it as reasonably close to complete by then if we can (working around normal every day life!).

Never played much on the Gameboy but the premise of Alleyway does seem similar!

• Like 2

I got to spend some time with it on real hardware this weekend.  Here are a few things I noticed.

Looks gorgeous.

This may have been brought up before, but this level needs some way of moving on when the ball gets stuck in this center corridor, essentially creating an game over.  I left it alone bouncing around this center area for about and hour and a half just to be sure something wouldn't happen to save me from having to reset the game. 

Maybe a random trajectory change after so much time passes, or even a way to self-destruct would be better than being eternally stuck.

IMG_0856_sm.thumb.JPG.7f265907450eaaf9a8ae5bf3858f3cf4.JPG

I don't remember what address the Concerto uses for Pokey, but I don't get the music with the 7-16-19 rom.

There is a good bit of slowdown in some levels when you acquire and use the lasers.  It's not game-breaking or anything, but it's there.  I remember the Arkanoid that was being worked on several years ago played great in emulators, but on real hardware it was too slow to play.  This one never reaches that level of slowdown, but I wanted to mention it since you said most of the testing was done in A7800.

I found myself holding the button down the entire time when playing with the joypad.  Maybe it would be better to reverse this and default to the faster speed, with the button used for slowing down the paddle for those rare times when you might want more precision.

Edit:  Happened again on this level.  Stuck with ball going in same pattern forever.  Not even the lasers could save me.  Their shots don't make it past the bottom row of blocks.  I'm thinking a random trajectory change every so often (or something) is definitely needed.

IMG_0858_sm.thumb.JPG.f621fd2dabda083fa0e09b0ec68718c3.JPG

Here's a quick clip of the ball going in same path.  It'll do this forever (still doing it as I type this).  I'll have to reset the game.

Twice in a row on the same level...

Different ball pattern, but same stuck.  Have to reset again.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 4

Just a heads-up that the ball randomizing kick-out has been discussed, and Matt said he'd tackle it after incorporating the other game features. That makes sense to me, since it's one of those tuning things you only want to do when every game element is in place, to avoid possible rework.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, just a quick update. After a week's break I've been working away on a number of changes but still have a couple of things to finalise before the next build release.

Some of the upcoming changes will include:

• Multi-colored backgrounds! Thanks to the great detective work of Defender_2600 we found some extra colors in a re-org so all backgrounds now have 2-3 colors instead of the plain single colored ones ?
  • Fix for the vaus bullet taking out more than one brick across - you can now clean out a single column
  • Bullets? on the Doh level spraying out at the vaus depending on location (more to do here but getting close)
  • Some further updated graphics (more to do)
  • A number of reports about slow-downs - have started working on splitting functionality across multiple frames to try and alleviate this (more to do) 
  • Some internal refactoring features to make updating multiple items cleaner (ie. brick animations for one)

It's become quite a big project now so wrote up a list to start ticking off to ensure we continue to move forward. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

I should be done very soon for now more behind the scene with DOH on early art to using Arnold Schwarzenegger as a ref face for Doh as many early classic label artist use movie stars for game box in the mid 80s and early 90s.

face grid.png

ref - doh.png

Fantastic work as usual, Atariboy2600!

I was also thinking that since DOH seems to be a Moai, maybe you could be inspired by those very ancient statues full of mystery. :)

Moai.PNG.f941679692663cc883638799acc92087.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

Fantastic work as usual, Atariboy2600!

I was also thinking that since DOH seems to be a Moai, maybe you could be inspired by those very ancient statues full of mystery. :)

Moai.PNG.f941679692663cc883638799acc92087.PNG

@Defender_2600 I was thinking the same.  @Atariboy2600 Cool to know that its based on the Terminator himself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mksmith said:

Bloody brilliant that's what! Unbelievable @Atariboy2600 

ryan gosling clap GIF

Thanks again I love playing this game the 7800 came out in 84, sold everywhere in 86 and the arcade game in 86 but this port is out in 2019... better late then neverXD

Also I need to fine a full template on the box and cart label size. for any one wanted me to fit them on. Where can I fine it?

• Like 2