You get called in for surgery after you die here. It does suck USA people have to pay to use and lose everything because everyone knows how insursnce works. 

My wifes waiting on a MRI 6 months so far it can take years here. Most of the time they forget or yeah call after your dead. For stuff like a broken arm or a cut you get help here that day after a  6 or 10 hours in a  waiting room and get set wrong and live crippled and the rehab is all user pay same as chiropractor all user pay. 

So get sub par third world care for free or the best care in the world and pay for everything. 

Most visits are like this in small city sask. Go to 1950s hospital. Wait for 2 hours if not busy to see nurse. Sit in hallway or maybe a old bed from 1975. Look for nurses to find out wtf is going on. Find them giggling and online shopping in a room and they look annoyed when you ask for a pillow. 

After some digging they find  a pillow 1 inch thick seems no blood is on this one. Another hour no doctor. Another hour given paperwork to drive 100miles in pain to another hospital to see a doctor to stay there 3 days for treatment. Was an infection.

She missed a week of school and my wife had to quit her job to take care of her. I may as well pay a vet or something for treatment. I guess in ontario they have better hospitals. Here the staff is into facebook and collecting the union overtime. Luckily 1 in 6 or so people feel like they are interested in helping and do a great job. It is usually a 50 year old nurse.

When most health care people are hard to understand and dont speak good english and come from 3rd world countries it is not surprising we get what we pay for. Probably think well here is a entitled Canadian that thinks we actually give a crap. The smart doctors head south for the big bucks. We get the ones new to North America putting time in for the American job. 

Severe chest pain 2 hour wait in Regina Sask ER.  Doctor was having supper was the excuse. 

Torn chest muscles 10 hour ER wait. Waited in entryway after checking in standing there screaming here and there like a crazy person for 4 hours. The ER had puke pails kids and babies in pain drugged out guys overdosed laying on benches. When someone gets injured or is hurt we usually hope we dont have to go to the hell hole we call a hospital. 

I have felt so bad in pain that I thought something was wrong and the healthline nurse said go to ER now. I thought some more about it tooks some meds and went to sleep as I would risk death than sit in a my free ER 10 hours of zombieland hospital. 

• Sad 4

I'm with Shawn on the side-topic. I've never experienced anything near what you're describing, Jinks, and I think it has more to do with the province and/or city than an indictment on the national healthcare. I'm in the burbs outside Toronto, and the wait times aren't crazy. Yes, there is some delay when you get to the ER with a boo boo, since they triage the serious patients first. When I've gone to the ER with my kids and the issue was serious, we were moved to the top of the queue and seen quickly. I've also generally found the quality of care is pretty good. After a workout session my young-adult son felt a bit of cramping around his chest, so he went to the local ER - they took him in pretty quickly, and 3 hours later he had finished a battery of tests, including a CT scan. (all good)

The regional differences are an issue that should be fixed for sure. Even over here we avoid going to certain ERs in Toronto proper, because high population density means you're going to wait longer. In some provinces you have to pay premiums up front to participate, in others, the premiums are covered for residents under provincial taxes.

It's not a perfect system, but I wouldn't move anywhere where I didn't have similar care, unless I had stashed away millions in homebrew sales. Even then, only if I had to.

Sorry for the OT post, Matt. Just a diversion while we wait for the next demo. :D

I will say it's been a privilege to have been privy to the development discussions with this game. Matt has obviously been kicking butt with the game code, and pushed 7800basic hard enough to reveal a couple bugs along the way. (fixed) Defender_2600 has done an incredible job on graphics (once again), meticulously tweaking each element multiple times to ensure the most arcade-like experience. Synthpopalooza has contributed amazing arcade authentic music and sounds. There's nobody better with QA testing and reporting than Trebor, who has been the secret sauce of nearly every great 7800 project for a very long time. Now we have the amazing cart/poster art by Atariboy2600. (please do support his go fund me if you can spare a few bucks)

I think by the time this game is done, it will be the best Arkanoid port on any 8-bit platform. We may be a small community in number, but holy hell do we have a lot of talent! :thumbsup:

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, RevEng said:

I think by the time this game is done, it will be the best Arkanoid port on any 8-bit platform. We may be a small community in number, but holy hell do we have a lot of talent! :thumbsup:

Couldn’t agree more!

What you (developers) are able to deliver today is amazing.  Today’s homebrews themselves should be enough reason for anyone to add a 7800 to their collection. 

Btw, I can’t say enough about the collaboration that has taken place, not only with this game, but most recently, with Baby Pac-Man as well.  The entire community benefits from this.  I can’t wait for both CIBs. 

Well done everyone...well done.

• Like 7

The graphics and sound are amazing. Excited to see and hear what is next.

I wish Drac was ok..? He is such a true 7800 fan.  He was super excited for this as it is a favorite he was saying.. 

Too bad we all could not stay young and healthy. Just play atari.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Jinks said:

The graphics and sound are amazing. Excited to see and hear what is next.

I wish Drac was ok..? He is such a true 7800 fan.  He was super excited for this as it is a favorite he was saying.. 

Too bad we all could not stay young and healthy. Just play atari.

Passing on my best to Drac - a terrible disease that has no doubt affected many of our friends and families ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, R_Leo_1 said:

I found his Obituary, it saddens me deeply to say that he has passed away...

Could you post this info on a topic in the main 7800 forum please? 

He was a great longtime member here that I think deserves our respect and remembrance. 

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

This is looking great! The 7800 needs more paddle games. I for one would discourage Pokey for music though.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, atari2600land said:

How about detecting whether it has a POKEY or not and then do it that way?

There will be a version with TIA Sound as well once we get to the final stages of development - unfortunately no room for both ?  Synthpopalooza has done an amazing job so far with the Pokey stuff - pity only few will hear such great work. 

Hopefully a new build soon - we are trying to track down a bug with the controls around using the paddles and joypad buttons.  I'm having a play with trying to get a new ball collision process done for the time being but there is some nice stuff coming in the next build - sorry again for the delays but the core game hasn't changed too much from the recent releases.

• Like 2

Ok friends - we finally have a new release which includes the following changes:

• All new multi-colored background for each level (now these really add to the visual look of the game)
  • The Doh level is essentially complete - we have a finalised Doh head image, faster bullets and collisions, faster ball movement and the final Doh head drain and fade in (much harder to complete as it should be!). Just the Doh mouth animation remains
  • Updated the vaus (joypad/joystick) to double speed by default and slowdown with button (lots of feedback on this one)
  • Updated the joypad buttons to button 1: release ball and fire laster, button 2: change vaus speed
  • Reworked the brick animation code and var use to be much easier and cleaner to maintain
  • Fixed some slowdowns by splitting no-critical functions across frames
  • Fixed a crashing bug around clearing TIA sound buffer and changing banks
  • Fixed a bug with the paddles where swapping controllers back from paddles (after using) to the joypad caused both buttons to not respond.
  • Lots of internal changes and rework to clean up var use and code.
  • Updated the credits screen

Apologies for the delays - a mix of my work being busy and a little bit of burn-out.  I've started a new project to work specifically on ball movement and collision (code is very large now) which is going to be a challenge to get right - have some ideas on different ways to approach.

Once again special thanks to @RevEng (and coding assistance), @sramirez2008, @Trebor and @KevinMos3 for all the additional testing over the past couple of weeks (been a few issues to work through), @Defender_2600 for his graphics and drive to find the extra colors for the backgrounds, @Synthpopalooza for the great music, @Atariboy2600 for his very impressive box and cart artwork (and desktop backgrounds!) and @PacManPlus for his paddle code.

This release is also in memory of @DracIsBack for his support of the 7800 homebrew community. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Been working on the ball movement tonight.  Got the speed increasing/decreasing and the ball/brick collision is definitely better - still have the occasional corner issues but I think I have a solution for that.

Certainly increases the challenge.  A few more things to work through when we'll get the testing crew in to see how it runs.  Once this is working then looking at multiple balls - hopefully I can get a clean loop working to make this a clean process.

• Like 5

I was going to say, the one thing I noticed was that the ball moves a bit odd due to flicker.  As for the speed, I mean, the arcade is super fast, but you're using fairly large sprites here, so having it move really fast will actually make it I think way too hard.  There's no give. 

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I was going to say, the one thing I noticed was that the ball moves a bit odd due to flicker.  As for the speed, I mean, the arcade is super fast, but you're using fairly large sprites here, so having it move really fast will actually make it I think way too hard.  There's no give. 

Due to the use of decimals for angles it is a little jittery at times - unfortunately the low resolution can't hide that away.  The speed is going to be interesting to get right as you point out - paddles will be highly recommended ? Anyway we'll keep plugging away and try and get a good compromise!   

Reworked the ball collision again today and believe I have cracked the code and everything (appears ?) to be working and moving correctly in my little test engine no matter what speed I throw at it (1x-10x)

Will be reworking the vaus ball collisions most likely as well to use this new process.

• Like 1

I don't post here often, but I just wanted to say how grateful I am for the work that has gone in to this, it looks incredible., 

I'm a huge fan of paddle games & always thought that there was a real missed opportunity to do classic paddle games some real justice on the 7800.

Arkanoid is one of my favourite games of all time & I'm really keen to play it on a real 7800 with the paddles.

As I live in the UK, importing stuff from the US, with the postage & tariffs makes it become quite extortionate (not to mention the pound being at a 35 year low...thanks Brexit!).  This however, if it is released on a cart, like Medieval Mayhem, it will be an instant purchase & I just know it will be worth every penny!!

Just wanted to add a note to say how sorry I was to read about Drac, although I never knew him, his enthusiasm was clear to see. RIP

Edited by the_hawk
Typos
  • Like 8

@the_hawk Thanks for the kind words - we are really pleased where it has got too and really happy that everyone appears to like where it's going.

Certainly very sad about Drac - he was very positive towards the game and a great community person (just from my small contact via the forums).

• Like 3