21 hours ago, mksmith said:

We will also be looking to release a TIA version as well once we are game complete.

I think it’s very smart to produce TIA versions also, since those Pokey chips won’t be available forever, if they’re not produced any longer.

Since both Ballblazer and Commando are some of the best games on the 7800, it would be - to a certain degree - understandable that many won’t give them up easily.

Could another chip be installed in carts to do similar jobs?

Can pokey-chips be extracted from defunct 5200 units and be useable in a 7800 cart?

Anyway - if 2 versions can in time be produced, new 7800 game-titles on carts will probably be must easier to get produced in some numbers.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

I think it’s very smart to produce TIA versions also, since those Pokey chips won’t be available forever, if they’re not produced any longer.

Since both Ballblazer and Commando are some of the best games on the 7800, it would be - to a certain degree - understandable that many won’t give them up easily.

Could another chip be installed in carts to do similar jobs?

Can pokey-chips be extracted from defunct 5200 units and be useable in a 7800 cart?

Anyway - if 2 versions can in time be produced, new 7800 game-titles on carts will probably be must easier to get produced in some numbers.

Yes to both questions...

In fact there is a chip which costs $4 ... I posted about it elsewhere but it's the chip used in so many arcade titles (Frogger and Congo Bongo) and similar to the sound chip used in Colecovision.   Entirely doable.

POKEY chips scavenged from used 5200's work too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Yes to both questions...

In fact there is a chip which costs $4 ... I posted about it elsewhere but it's the chip used in so many arcade titles (Frogger and Congo Bongo) and similar to the sound chip used in Colecovision.   Entirely doable.

‘Scavenged’ ha ha :-D

Well, y’know, some ol’ consoles are just too damaged to repair in their entirety, so why not look for the parts which may still work and be of use for useable hardware?

I see from the store, that certain 7800 titles needs to have this PokeyONE provided for a single cart to be produced...

I ordered Bentley Bears Crystal Quest (and looking forward to try it out  ? ) from eBay, but if I were to buy it here or any of these other pokey-only-titles, - what would I have to do; order Pokey-chip to my country in Europe (tax and all), then send it to the US for producing a new cart?

Man, thats a lot of money and work for hobby-retro-gamer!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Yes to both questions...

So, perhaps it could be an idea for enthusiasts to ‘donate’ and collect such hardware, like to this site?

Then, one could have 2 prices for Pokey-games: one with already built-in, and another for buyers who provide Pokey themselves....

Anyway, how easy/difficult is it to obtain the other chips (from arcades or colecovisions)?

Are there only a handfull left, or could one easily obtain hundreds?

(If anyone knows?)

Edited by Giles N

On 9/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, Synthpopalooza said:

There are also the PokeyMax and PokeyONE projects.  They don't do all the features, but for the existing homebrew projects (including this one) I am told they work very well.

pokeyones.jpg

Yes, I received these PokeyONEs this week and will be using them to build ten copies each of Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest and Super Circus AtariAge for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.  Here's one I tested last week with all the POKEY-based games we sell in the store:

image.png

I will buy more PokeyONEs after PRGE to make the POKEY-based games available without people having to send in Ballblazers or POKEY chips.  I should be able to offer those games at a comparable price as I was when selling them with a POKEY chip.

..Al

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been a bit a little quiet in the past few weeks - had a few things on my plate and some issues cropped up getting the multiple balls working in the game (had to leave it for a few days as I was pretty annoyed with it all ?). A build released for testing last week was really bad too (balls getting stuck!) and the over the past 4-6 weeks test builds using paddles and multiple balls really slowed-down the game to the point that I thought we were in some trouble ?

Thanks to some further great work from @RevEng we've managed to work through our paddle and rendering issues, fixed the ball movement and added a level selector. We now appear to have a really quality release coming for PRGE attendees to play next weekend ???  I've also added a high score entry (into RAM for now) so any champs can enter their name for the day.  This has also allowed @Synthpopalooza's awesome high-score entry to be finally heard in full.

Thanks also to @Trebor and @sramirez2008 for their continued testing on real hardware over the past few months - very much appreciate your help pin-pointing issues and suggestions!

Over the weekend I'll be finalising the Doh head (thanks @Defender_2600) and intro animations, and tuning the ball speeds once they start to speed up (way too fast).  So there won't be a new build available until after PRGE at this stage as we race to complete something for Al.

Thanks again to everyone at AtariAge - we have such a great and supportive community here and the game wouldn't be at the level it is without the support of you all.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

This is going to be a big hit at the show, for sure. I can't wait to see pictures of people enjoying it!

This...

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

Thanks for representing the 7800 and 7800basic so well Matt, and my thanks to all of the contributors too! :)

...and this!  Couldn’t say it any better. ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

This is going to be a big hit at the show, for sure. I can't wait to see pictures of people enjoying it!

Thanks for representing the 7800 and 7800basic so well Matt, and my thanks to all of the contributors too! :)

7800basic is such as great language - hopefully we'll see more people joining the fun and creating new games and your contributions to both 7800basic and Arkanoid have been tremendous.  I've said it a lot, such a great community here - very thankful for all contributors!  

• Like 7