On 9/25/2019 at 8:55 AM, Synthpopalooza said:

POKEY chips scavenged from used 5200's work too.

Do not blaspheme about using POKEYs from 5200s in 7800 cartridges. :) There's plenty of us in Team 52 that will need said POKEYs to replace our existing ones if they go bad or if 5200 homebrews and hacks start supporting Dual POKEY like some of the modern games on A8...

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, Synthpopalooza said:

Also ... for the AY-3-8910 chip there are three pitfalls:

1.  No support in emulation yet.

2. To test it on real HW you would need a custom developer cart with the AY-3-8910 chip on it.

3.  Learning curve on how to program it.  There is documentation though.

It's amusing to read people advocating for the AY-3-8910 when the YM2149 has such a bad reputation for providing "inferior" audio on the Atari ST. Both chips do the same exact audio. The only advantages are that the AY is cheap and that it's used across so many different systems: Intellivision, Vectrex, one of the Spectrum door stops, Amstrad, the Apple II Mockingboards [up to Quad configuration], the Atari ST via the YM2149, etc. I'm not sure...is the TI chip in the Colecovision AY compatible?

And how much is the Bup chip in comparison?

5 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

SN76489?  Not compatible, I don't think, but VERY similar.

It certainly sounds similar to the AY-3-8910/YM2149. I bet there were a few arcade games that actually used it.

The Japanese companies certainly liked the AY and the Z80...

The last arkanoid demo works on real hardware, mame, a7800, and bupsystem. I'm not sure why it's failing on prosystem. Best guess is prosystem doesn't like the hardware defined in the a78 header, but it's hard to tell. Not much to be done, as nobody maintains that emulator anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Europatari said:

yeah looks cool, but can you make a version of your 7800 arkanoid for the prosystem emulator?

Hey! I'll have a play and see if I can work out what's going on. Fully recommend A7800 otherwise ?

6 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

...I must have just missed you, man.  Ill see you today though! :)

Hey Bob - if referring to me i'm stuck at home in Australia living vicariously through any pics on Al's twitter page ? 

Have a great time! And thanks again for your paddle code and help early on with the game! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hey Bob - if referring to me i'm stuck at home in Australia living vicariously through any pics on Al's twitter page ? 

Have a great time! And thanks again for your paddle code and help early on with the game! 

Ah - I thought you took the picture from there (oops).

A LOT of people were playing Arkanoid...  I think you have a hit on your hands!!!!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

Didn't really have time to post anything today, just too busy overall. Only made it out of the booth twice today to use the restroom. I suspect tomorrow will be similar, although a bit less hectic. 

I did take many photos inside the booth, not sure when I'll get them posted. Will take more tomorrow. 

..Al

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Ah - I thought you took the picture from there (oops).

A LOT of people were playing Arkanoid...  I think you have a hit on your hands!!!!

Hope your enjoying PRGE!

Well that's great news - the whole team should be proud of where we've got to and validates all the time and effort so far!   

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Didn't really have time to post anything today, just too busy overall. Only made it out of the booth twice today to use the restroom. I suspect tomorrow will be similar, although a bit less hectic. 

I did take many photos inside the booth, not sure when I'll get them posted. Will take more tomorrow. 

..Al

All good Al - sounds flat out which I guess is a great reason for you to put in all the effort to go to these events. Hope can you get to enjoy yourself too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Europatari said:

can you please make one version for prosystem, it is so absent, that it doesn't work on prosystem :(

Hi - we believe it may be the pokey location - as the pokey is configured specifically for the cart I'll disable the music for the prosystem emulator if that is the cause. 

As said the A7800 emulator is maintained and works as expected so is the recommended emulator nowadays.

A release with TIA music will be coming down the track also. 

Keep an eye out as there will be a new build after the PRGE event is finished ?

• Like 3

Really good video (Thanks to Edward Langley), below, that was also posted in the Baby Pac-Man thread.  A first pass by ~1:30 is shown for Arkanoid.  The real money shot is at the end though.  Starting around 5:16 you can hear Arkanoid.  It captures Edward's attention and he focuses the camera back to the respective setup, recording Arkanoid in action ~5:30.

• Like 5