Arkanoid was getting consistent play.  The AA both had a ton of traffic and the times that I hung around, someone was always playing the game.  It was great to hear it running in the background over the din of everyone talking.

Sorry I didn’t get any video.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Trebor said:

Really good video (Thanks to Edward Langley), below, that was also posted in the Baby Pac-Man thread.  A first pass by ~1:30 is shown for Arkanoid.  The real money shot is at the end though.  Starting around 5:16 you can hear Arkanoid.  It captures Edward's attention and he focuses the camera back to the respective setup, recording Arkanoid in action ~5:30.

Brilliant thanks @Trebor - yeah you definitely hear it ? An attract mode for these sorts of events would actually be really cool.

Also @sramirez2008 for the update - hope your enjoying the show ?

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

A new release is now available and will be the first official demo as we push towards final release. Lots of changes from the last build including:

• Levels 1-10 are available in the demo
  • Finalised the multi-ball capsule - the ball splits into 3 allowing clearance of more bricks quickly (during this mode no capsules will be released)
  • RevEng contributed a fantastic rendering change to the score and lives display finally removing all slow-downs that have been experienced to this point ???
  • Ball speed - lots of changes around this as it now properly tracks the angles so we can more gently increase the speed. Arcade mode is 20% faster than Novice . Also no matter the difficulty the ball speed starts at 2 and steps down to 1 (previously not the case).
  • Ball tracking - each ball is now tracked so if it reaches around 250 collisions (wall/brick) before returning to the vaus it will adjust the angle to avoid ball being trapped between bricks.
  • Complete Doh level - added Defender_2600's mouth animation to open and close before/after firing bullets.  Also added another bullet (6 now) to match the arcade
  • Entry of high score (single score only ATM - not implemented into savekey just some memory area). Synthpopalooza's awesome outro/high score music can finally be heard and flows nicely off the outro now if you make the high score table.
  • Update the difficulty - Novice (3 lives) or Arcade (2 lives). 20,000, 60,000, 60,000+ for additional lives for all difficulty levels  
  • Updated the Credits screen
  • Added ProSystem.dat settings file for the game to work on the ProSystem emulator (no Pokey sounds unfortunately)
  • Most likely a few other things I can't remember!

Next up I'll finalise the intro and outro animations (gfx space will determine what can be added - not much space available ?), (probably) tweak the ball movement, finalise whether we add savekey support and I'll start looking at a PAL build (palette and ball speed adjustments).  Completing these things will make the game feature complete excluding adding the TIA music and floating objects.

Looking back through this thread and private messages with the guys I can't believe the progress we have made to this point and having the game at PRGE has been a dream come true! Thanks again to everyone for their assistance and support.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Absolutely marvellous! I am in awe. 

Some completely astounding work has gone into this.

Thanks! We've worked really hard to get to this point.  Saying that are a couple of bugs in this release we will be addressing shortly.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

A new release is now available (demo 2) containing a few fixes from the last build including:

• holding the vaus to the very left/right of the borders sometimes released the laser bullets in the incorrect position causing brick collision and capsule drop issues
  • fixed the vaus bullet firing to be manual rather than automated (looking to maybe add an additional bullet as per the arcade which can fire 2 rounds at once)
  • reduced the novice ballspeed by a further 10%
  • change to the sub titlescreens to return to the main titlescreen instead of starting (same as joy directions) when pressing the fire button

Download available in the Announcement post.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi everyone,

A new release is now available (demo 2) containing a few fixes from the last build including:

• holding the vaus to the very left/right of the borders sometimes released the laser bullets in the incorrect position causing brick collision and capsule drop issues
  • fixed the vaus bullet firing to be manual rather than automated (looking to maybe add an additional bullet as per the arcade which can fire 2 rounds at once)
  • change to the sub titlescreens to return to the main titlescreen instead of starting (same as joy directions) when pressing the fire button

will that version be also compatible with prosystem?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Europatari said:

will that version be also compatible with prosystem?

Hi yes - there is a ProSystem.dat config file containing the required settings to run Arkanoid. It will be updated each release.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where is the download link for the latest release?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CloakandDagger said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where is the download link for the latest release?

Hi sorry back on the first post. Will note that in future.  Thanks for trying the game ?

• Like 2

For those who haven't had a chance to play Arkanoid here are a couple of videos showing the current beta state of the game.

Also I would like to again thank @Albert for displaying the game at the recent Portland Retro Gaming Expo and the effort he makes to support the AtariAge community ???

Gameplay

Level 33 Doh confrontation

• Like 15

On 10/20/2019 at 9:17 AM, Trebor said:

Really good video (Thanks to Edward Langley), below, that was also posted in the Baby Pac-Man thread.  A first pass by ~1:30 is shown for Arkanoid.  The real money shot is at the end though.  Starting around 5:16 you can hear Arkanoid.  It captures Edward's attention and he focuses the camera back to the respective setup, recording Arkanoid in action ~5:30.

I see some of the box label art on some games I made there in the video, if only I wish to go to this PRGE but again too far and to much money to pend flying there, oh well some day:(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

For those who haven't had a chance to play Arkanoid here are a couple of videos showing the current beta state of the game.

Also I would like to again thank @Albert for displaying the game at the recent Portland Retro Gaming Expo and the effort he makes to support the AtariAge community ???

Glad to have demoed Arkanoid at PRGE, and I witnessed many people enjoying it during the show.  You've done a terrific job with it so far, and I look forward to continue watching its progress.  :)

..Al

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Europatari said:

since this version is ready, i want the rom version please.

Hi - not quite done as yet as there are still a couple of things to finish off. Hopefully will be available on cart sometime in 2020.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 12:22 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

I see some of the box label art on some games I made there in the video, if only I wish to go to this PRGE but again too far and to much money to pend flying there, oh well some day:(

Same here! Would love to get there one day - the panels would be great to hear.

Hi everyone,

Taken a little break from Arkanoid after a really busy past 4-6 weeks getting ready for PRGE and another burst just after to get a new public beta release out. After doing it a few months ago I actually like the break - get's me recharged for another push and a chance to play with some other things ?

Will be back into it next week and a final push up until Christmas.

• Like 7