22 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Future 7800 games??? 

I hope so cause you are super talented and this looks amazing!! 

Definitely - such a great platform and the guys have been so awesome to work with.  Playing around with some things ATM but we'll see how it plays out.

20 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Btw cool website!!!

Thanks - bought the template yesterday and finished updating it earlier.  Pretty simple ATM but does the job - nice to have a spot to put up so info.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

Looks great. Is there a projected time you want to have this finished by? 

Hi - thanks! At this stage it's going to be sometime in 2020. 

We are hoping to have a complete final build in the next few months but then need to create PAL and TIA (replacing the Pokey sounds) builds on top of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Been thinking about it but finally decided to create a website for Arkanoid (and future games) at https://chunkypixel.github.io. Only discovered github has a hosting feature yesterday - who'd have thought ?

Wow the website looks great! Chunky pixel is a cool name. 

#lovingit

• Like 2

6 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

This look amazing! Besides the resolution it blows the Famicom version out of the water :o  So colorful!

Oh yeah, you have good eyes. ;)

Resolution is not an advantage when you have few colors on screen. And, that NES monochromatic background is really a weak point.

642008058_7800Arkanoid_DOHgraphic_VSNES.thumb.PNG.dd9d87cda240e503e54a52e4241e8c3b.PNG

• Like 10

10 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

This look amazing! Besides the resolution it blows the Famicom version out of the water :o  So colorful!

Thanks! We have @Defender_2600 to thank for pushing to find the palette space to get the colors for the backgrounds and for also reducing the scale to better fit the 7800 resolution.

Would love one more color to flash the vaus tips but all in all its come up really well and yes very colorful ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2019 at 2:44 AM, mksmith said:

Been thinking about it but finally decided to create a website for Arkanoid (and future games) at https://chunkypixel.github.io. Only discovered github has a hosting feature yesterday - who'd have thought ?

Nice! The "more 7800 games" is particularly encouraging! ?

So psyched for this project, congrats on all the progress so far.

The Twitter link doesn't seem to be working atm, will be following the progress on there for sure when it's up & running.

2 hours ago, the_hawk said:

Nice! The "more 7800 games" is particularly encouraging! ?

So psyched for this project, congrats on all the progress so far.

The Twitter link doesn't seem to be working atm, will be following the progress on there for sure when it's up & running.

Thanks for checking out the game and site - definitely want to do more 7800 games!

Yeah need to get those links up for FB and Twitter!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swapd0 said:

look awesome, are you going to code Arkanoid II after finishing this game?

Not sure as yet - maybe ?

5 hours ago, Europatari said:

can you post the prosystem version of the rom?

The latest build supports the prosystem emulator - the required settings are in the ProSystem.dat file ?

For anyone who has played this, how playable is it on standard controllers?  I don't think I'll ever be able to find a nice working pair of paddles here in Japan :(

I could more easily track down a Sega Sports Pad (trackball), but I assume paddles and trackballs are completely different so it wouldn't work, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

For anyone who has played this, how playable is it on standard controllers?  I don't think I'll ever be able to find a nice working pair of paddles here in Japan :(

I could more easily track down a Sega Sports Pad (trackball), but I assume paddles and trackballs are completely different so it wouldn't work, right?

Hi! Joypad or joystick can be used no problem but the ball speed still needs a bit tweaking for them - can get a little too quick.

Not sure about how a trackball translates in relation to paddles. Hopefully someone might be able to advise..

• Like 1

It wouldn't work as a paddle.

Trackballs on these old consoles work using one of two methods, and sometimes they have a switch to change between the two modes. The first "native trackball" mode has specially encoded movement-direction and movement-change bits, and a game would need to have explicit support for it. The second mode is a "joystick emulation" mode, which should work with arkanoid's joystick support, but this mode tends to be disappointing due to the game capping the top movement speed to joystick norms.

I don't know if the Sega Sports Pad will work fully on the 7800, because Sega put their +5v line on another pin than Atari did. Apparently the ones with a switchable joystick emulation mode work fine in that mode, albeit with just a single button working. I don't know if the native trackball mode would work.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Apologies for the lack of updates - my business involves me coding and I'm not only keeping our current product updated but been working on rebuilding the whole thing from the ground up (the current base is now 10+ years old and in vb.net - been converting it off and on into c# and using new database/cloud technologies for over 2 years!! Bah small business!!).  Had to (been forced with little notice!) implement some new stuff to interact with our Tax Office in Australia and been working on both simultaneously so kinda mentally burnt out by the end of the day.  This will be going on for another few weeks at least (maybe to mid Jan) so my only coding pleasure I've had to put to the side for the time being which is disappointing to me as we are pretty close apart from the floating enemies :sad: 

Rest assured I will be back into it soon enough - just wanted to let you all know.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 12/5/2019 at 6:58 AM, mksmith said:

...This will be going on for another few weeks at least (maybe to mid Jan) so my only coding pleasure I've had to put to the side for the time being which is disappointing to me as we are pretty close apart from the floating enemies :sad: ...

No worries, Matt!  And in the meantime, I have a preview for you. ;)

573564361_7800Arkanoid_Flyingenemiesspritesvsarcade.thumb.PNG.ee518e5b09644e82ca54f266f9f090fc.PNG

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

No worries, Matt!  And in the meantime, I have a preview for you. ;)

573564361_7800Arkanoid_Flyingenemiesspritesvsarcade.thumb.PNG.ee518e5b09644e82ca54f266f9f090fc.PNG

Hey Marco!

Ooohhh very nice mate - will have to give these a try very soon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! And, if it can be useful, I can also make an alternative with 5 colors.

I don't remember if this is the last update:

rem Palette 0 - font/sprites/playfield/brick
 P0C1 = $0f ;White
rem Palette 2 - sprites / brick
 P2C1 = $a8 ;Cyan

P2C3 = $00 ;Black
rem Palette 3 - sprites
 P3C3 = $94 ;Blue
rem Palette 7 - brick
 P7C1 = $92 ;Blue

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 1