23 minutes ago, mksmith said:

One thing we hadn't really taken into considered the colors for these so they will probably be 160B.  The hard thing is going to be where to fit them!!

I took a quick look, it seems we have almost all the colors in the 160B palette. It just seems that we need more contrast between _P2C1 = $a8 ;Cyan_  and _P3C3 = $94 ;Blue_.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Won't be long before I get back to Arkanoid! Been a little longer than planned but work was very busy running up to Christmas. Certainly at that point of wanting to finish and get on with a new project.

Currently in the back end of the school holidays with the family. We are currently up in Port Douglas in Queensland in the north east of Australia (we are from the south east in Melbourne Victoria). Awesome steamy weather around 32-33c every day with the occasional tropical storm. After a busy morning of walking around Mossman gorge kids are having a swim.

Hope everyone is well wherever you are located ?

15792345514354467976791037975292.jpg

• Like 9

Wow, graphic of your Arkanoid version is superb, nearly fotorealistic and that on a Atari-7800. ? ;)

Äääh just saw, that this was just a holiday foto *lol* and not the game itself ?, but your Arkanoid version really is superb. Great homebrew!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, AW127 said:

Wow, graphic of your Arkanoid version is superb, nearly fotorealistic and that on a Atari-7800. ? ;)

Äääh just saw, that this was just a holiday foto *lol* and not the game itself ?, but your Arkanoid version really is superb. Great homebrew!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks - been a great team effort ? I have also responded to your pm ?

• Like 3

I have a question to the game, maybe somebody can answer this.

Tried to emulate the game in "ProSystem V1.3" emulator. Then i copied the informations from the included file "ProSystem.dat" to the "ProSystem.dat" of the emulator. After this, the game can be loaded in the emu and opens normally and shows the game-menue, in which "paddles" are selected.

And then i have a problem. I wanted to steer with a gamepad or a joystick and I tried nearly everything, to switch from "paddles" to "joystick" in the Arkanoid game-menue, but i can't make it. It stays always on paddles and i can not change this. Normally this should work by steering left or right to change the input-devices, right? But it dont work, also all buttons dont change anything. Only thing i can do then, is starting the game with the firebutton on my joystick. The game then begins, but i can not steer the paddle, cause the game is set to paddles.

I tried around with the input-settings in "ProSystem" emulator, but can not solve the problem. "Paddles" can not be chosen there, i just can choose one of the controllers which are connected to my PC and then map the buttons. And also i dont wanted to play the game with paddles at all, i want to play it with a joystick or a gamepad.

Then i tried around in the "ProSystem.dat" by changing the

controller1=

setting, cause i thought, maybe this could help her. But sadly this also don't help.

But i guess, cause there was a "ProSystem.dat" included in the Arkanoid game, that it should run normally on the ProSystem Emulator.

Can somebody please help here and tell me, what i must do, that i can change from paddles to joystick in the Arkanoid game-menue? Or do i need another Atari-7800 emulator for this game? I know that the Pro System Emu is an older one and the last version, which is V1.3, some years old. But i like and use this emulator since alot of years and overall i was always happy with it. My other favorite Atari-7800 games runs good with it. So i hope, there is a way, that i can also use this emulator with Arkanoid, i only must find a way to switch to another input-device in the Arkanoid game-menue, then i guess, everything should work.

Edited by AW127

22 hours ago, AW127 said:

I know that the Pro System Emu is an older one and the last version, which is V1.3, some years old. But i like and use this emulator since alot of years and overall i was always happy with it. My other favorite Atari-7800 games runs good with it.

It is completely understandable if the A7800 emulator interface is not for everyone; however, having BupSystem available, the points made to stick with ProSystem is moot. 

Similar GUI with better system emulation and options than the ProSystem emulator.

No dat files to contend with - only load the game and it works. 

Just when you select to Open a file for the first time, be sure to change the default (*.cdf) file search to (*.a78) files or (*.*) all files:

image.thumb.png.e7890d6e4ac9cb9690d452b5f336deb6.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Trebor said:

It is completely understandable if the A7800 emulator interface is not for everyone; however, having BupSystem available, the points made to stick with ProSystem is moot. 

Similar GUI with better system emulation and options than the ProSystem emulator.

Never had a look at A7800 or BupSystem emulator until yet, but seems like i should then. I am going to check these two emulators out in next days.

I just wondered - there was a ProSystem.dat file included in the game-download, therefore i thought, there must also be a possibility to run this game correctly also in the ProSystem Emulator. The game itself also seems to work correctly there, i just can not switch the input-device to anything else than "paddles" and therefore i can not steer then in the game.

Edited by AW127

Now it also works in ProSystem emulator.  :)

I deleted my old "ProSystem.ini" file and then remapped all buttons new in the input-settings of the emulator and now it works. Also in ProSystem emulator, i can now switch the input-device with a controller.

Strange. I don't know what's going on with my old ini-file and why it don't worked before. But now after deleting the file and after ProSystem emulator created a new one, it works like it should. So, this problem is solved now. Can play Arkanoid now in BupSystem or in ProSystem emulator.  ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, Atariboy2600 said:

Hows your hammer hanging?

Downwards currently ???

Just another quick update! Life has been very busy again since returning back from holidays - my oldest daughter is now training and playing both junior and senior rep basketball 5-6 nights a week (I do love taking her so not an issue just tiring!) so I've pretty much lost all spare coding time ATM as I ferry her around to stuff. That is subside soon once her senior season starts and some training/game attendance will be become optional.

In the mean time I've been doing a little bit of work on Atari Dev Studio where I can and my work (coding) is taking up the rest of my time (this will slow down also in 4-6 weeks). 

So apologies again for not yet getting back to Arkanoid considering how close we are to a release.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RALPH! said:

Have paddle game on 7800? Should be able to read TIA input register and someone posted here. 

Yes - working fine Ralph.  There is some code back earlier in the post from PacManPlus (page 1) which explains how to read.

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, mksmith said:

Downwards currently ???

Just another quick update! Life has been very busy again since returning back from holidays - my oldest daughter is now training and playing both junior and senior rep basketball 5-6 nights a week (I do love taking her so not an issue just tiring!) so I've pretty much lost all spare coding time ATM as I ferry her around to stuff. That is subside soon once her senior season starts and some training/game attendance will be become optional.

In the mean time I've been doing a little bit of work on Atari Dev Studio where I can and my work (coding) is taking up the rest of my time (this will slow down also in 4-6 weeks). 

So apologies again for not yet getting back to Arkanoid considering how close we are to a release.

The video of the game looks outstanding.  Arkanoid with a proper paddle controller!   I used to use a Wingman Warrior that has a spinner, but unfortunately, it hasn't been supported under Windows in a long time.   I cannot wait to play this!

Is there any chance you are gonna use the other sound chip that was recently used for a different 7800 game?  POKEY chips are terribly difficult to get a hold of.  This is going to sell a lot of copies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christo930 said:

The video of the game looks outstanding.  Arkanoid with a proper paddle controller!   I used to use a Wingman Warrior that has a spinner, but unfortunately, it hasn't been supported under Windows in a long time.   I cannot wait to play this!

Is there any chance you are gonna use the other sound chip that was recently used for a different 7800 game?  POKEY chips are terribly difficult to get a hold of.  This is going to sell a lot of copies.

Hi! Thanks for taking a look!

Arkanoid has been on a bit of hiatus due to working on Millie and Molly - I had reached a few roadblocks TBH but this new game had provided a few answers to those issues thankfully.

Once I get back to Arkanoid we'll see about the sound. There are pokey replacements now available which Al has started using but TIA sound is something I would like to consider if we can fit it in. There is also a few new options coming into 7800baaic soon which might be an option outside of the pokey. Will definitely consider all options!

• Like 4

Longtime Arkanoid fan (from PC ports), finally downloaded this and gave this a shot on A7800.  Wow.  It may not be complete yet, but I'm blown away!  Hoping you can get some time to complete and finalize it.  This is a cart I would buy for sure (which is saying a lot, I don't have a lot of funds to spend on games, so am VERY selective)!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Atariboy2600 said:

Just in case anyone like to know Im still alive somehow^_^;

Glad you going ok mate!

8 hours ago, nadir said:

Longtime Arkanoid fan (from PC ports), finally downloaded this and gave this a shot on A7800.  Wow.  It may not be complete yet, but I'm blown away!  Hoping you can get some time to complete and finalize it.  This is a cart I would buy for sure (which is saying a lot, I don't have a lot of funds to spend on games, so am VERY selective)!

Thank you! Will be getting back to it soon once I get this rewind feature done in Millie and Molly ?

18 hours ago, mksmith said:

Once I get back to Arkanoid we'll see about the sound. There are pokey replacements now available which Al has started using but TIA sound is something I would like to consider if we can fit it in. There is also a few new options coming into 7800baaic soon which might be an option outside of the pokey. Will definitely consider all options!

Do one of these involve the AY chip used in a lot of arcade games like Kung Fu Master and Congo Bongo?  3 squares and a noise plus ADSR envelope.  Not as fancy as POKEY but definitely arcade quality sound.  Plus they cost $4 at newegg.

I think arcade Arkanoid uses it too ... not sure?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Do one of these involve the AY chip used in a lot of arcade games like Kung Fu Master and Congo Bongo?  3 squares and a noise plus ADSR envelope.  Not as fancy as POKEY but definitely arcade quality sound.  Plus they cost $4 at newegg.

I think arcade Arkanoid uses it too ... not sure?

That new thing Mike is adding might be an option ?