Hey everyone!

Well another year has passed and Arkanoid is still WIP ? I desperately want to finish it but the ball movement still needs further work and it just does my head in at times that I cannot get it a little better.  As noted previously the enemies have been started and some basic movement has been added but is yet to be fully flushed out otherwise the game is pretty complete.

Anyway I thought I really should release a new version considering I've been sitting on this for quite a while.  So a reminder this was a full restart from the previous version and contains a whole new gfx engine using the learning from Millie and Molly.  It also now has an amazing number of controllers available such as Paddles, Driving Wheel, Trakball, Joystick and Amiga or ST mouse (thanks Mike!!).  Please note that this may not play well on PAL machines as the ball speeds still need some adjustments.  Also note the lives indicator is not yet working.

See the first post for the download.  

Apart from that I've really enjoyed helping around the forums with various projects, been playing with some little projects myself ? but the best thing is seeing the amazing movement around the 7800! We have a great product in 7800basic to develop our games plus we now have Concerto and DragonFly carts available to the masses. 2020 brought us the human malware of covid but it also gave us an ever expanding community around this great machine.  Looking forward to seeing what 2021 brings. Happy new year to you all!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

So I downloaded the latest WIP version and tried to play on real hardware via my new Concerto Cart. Although the game loads and the intro screens and menu work, once I select the controller option and try to start a game, I get corrupted graphics along the bottom of the screen but that's it. I also have no sound at all, despite having a POKEY in my Concerto. Is there a Concerto-specific build available, or is this just an incompatibility with my console? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So I downloaded the latest WIP version and tried to play on real hardware via my new Concerto Cart. Although the game loads and the intro screens and menu work, once I select the controller option and try to start a game, I get corrupted graphics along the bottom of the screen but that's it. I also have no sound at all, despite having a POKEY in my Concerto. Is there a Concerto-specific build available, or is this just an incompatibility with my console? 

Thanks for trying it out @DrVenkman I suspect that the issue relates to the pokey initialisation much the same as what happened with Popeye (as both are based on 7800basic).  I'll need to investigate how Darryl fixed Popeye to see what I can do for a specific Concerto build.  My Concerto currently doesn't get past loading much at all on either of my PAL 7800s currently but will see if I can test it here first.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Thanks for trying it out @DrVenkman I suspect that the issue relates to the pokey initialisation much the same as what happened with Popeye (as both are based on 7800basic).  I'll need to investigate how Darryl fixed Popeye to see what I can do for a specific Concerto build.  My Concerto currently doesn't get past loading much at all on either of my PAL 7800s currently but will see if I can test it here first.   

The old oct 2019 version in Trebor’s new Propack works on both of my 7800s with Concerto. Chunky Pixel label. 

• Like 1

Awesome work in progress!

Any chance the default first controller can be Joystick? With my DS Emulator, as soon as you select off paddles into (??) driving controller, it won't allow me to make any more changes. The emulator doesn't support the analog inputs (yet) so having Joystick first would allow me to start it up. The previous WiP had no such selection issues. 

I realize this is an Emulator issue.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, mksmith said:

So a reminder this was a full restart from the previous version and contains a whole new gfx engine using the learning from Millie and Molly.  It also now has an amazing number of controllers available such as Paddles, Driving Wheel, Trakball, Joystick and Amiga or ST mouse (thanks Mike!!). 

Thank you once again @mksmith! This is a phenomenal reboot of the amazing work that you've shared with us all. We are grateful for your abilities!

I was able to enjoy the heck out of this game on my CC2 using the following entry:

7800:	Arkanoid REBOOT	ARKANEW	7128R32P78BIOS

Yes, I called my ROM "ArkaNew"! :D 

It wasn't working using the same banking scheme as your previous release(s). I took a careful look at the numerous banking files that were provided by @Mitch, and I chanced upon just the right one the very first time. 7128R32P loaded the software just beautifully, and the POKEY audio is simply amazing.

In case it helps anyone, the 7128R32P banking file has the following description: 

7128R32P 128K SuperCart, 32K Banked RAM ($4000-$7FFF), POKEY at $0450

Thank you again for your incredible motivation to redo this masterpiece game!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, llabnip said:

Any chance the default first controller can be Joystick? With my DS Emulator, as soon as you select off paddles into (??) driving controller, it won't allow me to make any more changes. The emulator doesn't support the analog inputs (yet) so having Joystick first would allow me to start it up. The previous WiP had no such selection issues. 

I will take a look at doing a build with that configuration when I sort out the concerto pokey issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing ARKANOID on tomorrow's (Fri Feb 26, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 10

On 1/10/2021 at 8:35 AM, llabnip said:

Are you able to make a post without mentioning "your DS emulator"? It's really distracting from the topics at hand that are about anything but some DS emulator.

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Thanks James - looking forward to seeing how the paddles play ???

@ZeroPage Homebrew This game has a plethora of controller options (e.g. joystick, paddles, driving controller, trak-ball, st-mouse).  I may have missed one, but IIRC all of these options have been tested and tuned. There may not be enough space on the box, to list all of the options.?

I may be biased, but I like playing this version, much more than the actual arcade coin-op. The "spinner' on the arcade cabinet has a "weighty" feel to it. At least it does for me and that always felt a bit odd. However, this game is a personal fav of mine.  I look forward to seeing you guys play it too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Are you able to make a post without mentioning "your DS emulator"? It's really distracting from the topics at hand that are about anything but some DS emulator.

I tend to take criticism from posters newer than me on this site with a grain of salt, but your opinion is noted!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew This game has a plethora of controller options (e.g. joystick, paddles, driving controller, trak-ball, st-mouse).  I may have missed one, but IIRC all of these options have been tested and tuned. There may not be enough space on the box, to list all of the options.?

I'll be bringing out all the various options for controllers I have for the game, should be fun trying them all out.

I don't have a st-mouse so that's one that we'll have to miss unfortunately. Does anyone know if this USB to DB9 adapter would work for connecting a modern mouse to the 2600 & 7800?

- James

1 hour ago, llabnip said:

I tend to take criticism from posters newer than me on this site with a grain of salt, but your opinion is noted!

Arkanoid is a fun game. This homebrew version for the Atari 7800 is awesome. 

Edited by Shawn
Emulator Dude isn't worth the time.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am VERY much looking forward to this release, especially with the paddles.  Back when I was in college ('87), This game was in my Dorm...  I was able to get to the ending just about every time...  LOVED this game.  This and Dig Dug were the only games I could 'roll' the score back then.  (I don't remember if you could actually 'roll' the score on Arkanoid, but I do remember getting the high score every time, and getting to the ending).

Loved it!  Can't wait for this one! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

This game has a plethora of controller options (e.g. joystick, paddles, driving controller, trak-ball, st-mouse).  I may have missed one, but IIRC all of these options have been tested and tuned.

So, everything except the keyboard controllers, then? Or will those be added in the next release? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Love the WIP included in Trebor's ProPack and play it quite a bit, though I'm not terribly good at it. I'm always glad to see more paddle games though and this one is a gem.

6 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

This and Dig Dug were the only games I could 'roll' the score back then.

When can we see your take or a better 7800 version, then? :D

• Thanks 1