So someone mailed me a copy of GoSub as it is so far to test it out on a real 7800. It works fine except fire doesn't work in the main game. Could someone take a look in my code and find out why and how to change it so it does work?

gosub31.zip

I doubt that's the issue. 7800basic initializes the variables to 0.

Are you testing with a one-button joystick, or two-button stick?

Yes, but I changed the variable before it starts so that when joy0fire0 is pressed on the title screen, keygot{1} changes to 1. I changed it so when joy0fire0 is depressed keygot{1} becomes 0, the part I forgot to do. I have a 2-button joystick and I tested firing with both buttons.

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Yes, but I changed the variable before it starts so that when joy0fire0 is pressed on the title screen, keygot{1} changes to 1. I changed it so when joy0fire0 is depressed keygot{1} becomes 0, the part I forgot to do. I have a 2-button joystick and I tested firing with both buttons.

Hi atari2600land,

I ran some tests between the A7800 emulator and hardware:

GoSub v31

A7800:
proline_joystick = works (right/button 2 only)
vcs_joystick = doesn't work

Hardware:
Atari 7800 Pro-Line Joystick = works (right/button 2 only)
CX40 Atari VCS Joystick = doesn't work

GoSub v32

A7800:
proline_joystick = works (right/button 2 only)
vcs_joystick = doesn't work

Hardware:
Atari 7800 Pro-Line Joystick = works (right/button 2 only)
CX40 Atari VCS Joystick = doesn't work

They matched exact in behavior. 

Hope the above helps in your troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Just a guess atari2600land, but did you have a single-button joystick plugged in when you powered on the console, and then switched to two-button sticks? That would have kicked in the single-button electrical short protection, which would have disabled two-button mode. If it's not that, then maybe there's a problem with your console?

Anyway, it might be better if your game also worked with single-button sticks. You can do that by checking for joy0fire1 instead of joy0fire0. (more on that in the docs)

Changed the life system. Now you get 3 chances to complete the level on every level, so the lives don't carry over to the next level. I thought it would be better since some of the levels with the shark are kind of difficult and it wouldn't be fair to the player. I added two new levels so I'm up to 16 levels now, and 7,366 bytes left for more.

gosub2019july5.zip

• Like 3

Added 2 new levels. There's now 18 levels. I have 6,460 bytes left, which means I have room for 17 more levels. Here's what I plan to do:

The game will have 30 levels. At the end of the thirtieth level, there will be the final boss fight, and then there should be enough room for a little ending.

gosub2019july12.zip

• Like 3