IGNORED

Kurt Cobain playing GameBoy

So I had a nice email from Krist Novoselic earlier,and I mentioned to him about this pic I found....

db58fe94e5c09d2fb472acde1f4f1b23.jpg

...Krist told me Kurt was really into Super Mario Land!!!! :love: Can't wait to speak to Krist more about this.

Wonder what else games he had!????

• Like 4

So I had a nice email from Krist Novoselic earlier,and I mentioned to him about this pic I found....

db58fe94e5c09d2fb472acde1f4f1b23.jpg

...Krist told me Kurt was really into Super Mario Land!!!! :love: Can't wait to speak to Krist more about this.

Wonder what else games he had!????

I remember a mention in Michael Azerrad's Nirvana biography "Come As You Are." I just leafed through the book and found it... right near the beginning of the book when the author is describing his impressions upon walking into Kurt's house to do the interviews.

The garage is filled with boxes and boxes of papers, artwork, guitar guts, and years of thrift shop purchases. Two boxes are crammed with transparent plastic men, women, and even horses. Close by are an amplifier, a bass guitar, and the one thing in the house that could conceivably be called an indulgence--a Space Invaders-type video game that Kurt picked up for a couple hundred bucks. He records high scores on it with initials like "COK" and "POO" and "FUK."

Makes me wonder what game it was, as there were countless "Space Invaders-type" games in the early 80s. Many games of that type - including the most well-known ones like Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Galaga - did not allow for the entry of initials. It was probably Radar Scope or Galaga '88 or something like that.

Or some collector has Kurt Cobains gameboy and doesn't even know it..

That's a cool idea. Who knows where our stuff was before it was our stuff?

For example, read a story the other day about a technician at a TV station (or maybe radio) was cleaning up and restoring an old music synthesizer and scratched at a little glob of goo with his fingernail to clean it off. Next thing he knew, he was on a 9 hour acid trip. Turns out, the synth used to belong to or was used by a guy in the Grateful Dead who did a lot of LSD and some residue was dropped on the synth. lol

• Like 1

Cool stories and picture. He MUST have had more than one game for the gameboy.... I wonder where it is now? Maybe Courtney love still has it somewhere? Or some collector has Kurt Cobains gameboy and doesn't even know it..

That's a really good question,now you got me wondering where it is now too.

haha that's funny.. Love the setlist on the plate,it's from the Bleach era of Nirvana,one of their best albums!! :)

I also interviewed Chad Channing the drummer of that album. He also played on Nevermind on the song Polly. I recently got the Nevermind longbox CD along with the Weird Al parody...

10917283_10203129772356453_5495623357122

Dave Grohl is definitely a gamer too I think! Wonder if this is Kurt's GameBoy he borrowed lol. Also wondering what PS1 games he has. I read Layne Staley of Alice in Chains was a huge PS2 and Metal Gear Solid fan also. Anyways can't wait to ask Krist on my podcast what types of systems he was into,etc...

uSpHo26.jpg

playstation2.jpg

So...is this gonna be another "Kurt Coban Wore Khakis" type of thing?

Hell no! But seeing that the troll whom I have blocked(but is still stalking me) 'likes' your post...maybe that warrants I shouldn't take your comment too serious haha.

I asked Krist where Kurt's GameBoy is and he thinks Frances has it. Apparently she's into Super Nintendo bigtime.

• Like 1

Hell no! But seeing that the troll whom I have blocked(but is still stalking me) 'likes' your post...maybe that warrants I shouldn't take your comment too serious haha.

I asked Krist where Kurt's GameBoy is and he thinks Frances has it. Apparently she's into Super Nintendo bigtime.

Don't worry about Os, he sometimes gets grouchy when he's founding new fanclubs for people on the boards.

Its cool to think about where that specific Gameboy is. I've never considered trying to collect celebrity retro gaming memorabilia before . . . Hmmm

Meh,where have all these negative Nancies and trolls been coming from lately? People need to quit drinking the Hatorade! Kurt Cobain wrote some of the best songs of all-time,I don't need some armchair computer a-holes telling me other wise. Nirvana ruled!!!! \m/

Please stay on topic too,and leave the troll comments aside. As far as other cool celebrities playing games my favorite was speaking to the Beastie Boys drummer who told me they were always up to date with the latest consoles etc or when the bassist of Kyuss said he played Super NES on Ween's tour bus. I'm also getting Dave Grohl to talk about some games on my podcast. I think this pic of him standing next to a few arcade cabs is really cool....

ent-020612-dave-grohljpg-3c3f7c76be7cb10

Starting to wonder what other GameBoy games were in Kurt's collection. Been told he had hundreds of games but can't wait to investigate further.

• Like 4

Reached out to Frances on Twitter to politely ask about the Gameboy, if she had it, and if she played any other games currently, but no response. No big surprise i'm sure she has people bugging her all the time about stuff related to her dad so i'd probably ignore as well. It's out there somewhere though; would be curious to learn more.

• Like 1

What is the name of the podcast? I searched "Lava Lamps & 8-Track Theatre" in Plex and there was no results.

Yea that's the name of my radio show. haha Plex?,never heard of that,but you can find past episodes of my show all over the internet and here's my podcast archive...

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/lavalampsand8tracktheatreradio

It's a real radio show actually,more than a podcast because I air it on 2 FM stations in Northern California. You can also find my interviews all over Youtube. I play mostly video game based music and obscure heavy metal.

Reached out to Frances on Twitter to politely ask about the Gameboy, if she had it, and if she played any other games currently, but no response. No big surprise i'm sure she has people bugging her all the time about stuff related to her dad so i'd probably ignore as well. It's out there somewhere though; would be curious to learn more.

Heh Frances is a bit tough to communicate with,especially on Twitter. I'll try to ask her myself after I interview Krist soon. I just emailed him again today. Maybe in the meantime also I'll ask Charles Cross the author of the Kurt Cobain biography Heavier than Heaven if he has any deeper insights about Kurt's gaming and collection. You know Grohl is definitely a hardcore gamer lol. I wonder what his high score is on DK Jr!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:32 PM, lushgirl_80 said:

So...is this gonna be another "Kurt Coban Wore Khakis" type of thing?

Eh, don't mind me...  I was just being a silly smart ass. :lol:

Anyway I've already lived through the Nirvana hype back in the day as a Gen X'er so I'm not really obsessed with it again.  I highly respect Kurt's songs but really more into Dave Grohl (and Foo Fighters) so glad to see his arcade collection you posted.

And to quote the Sex Pistols, "Nevermind the Haters Bollocks."

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, MrMaddog said:

Eh, don't mind me...  I was just being a silly smart ass. :lol:

Anyway I've already lived through the Nirvana hype back in the day as a Gen X'er so I'm not really obsessed with it again.  I highly respect Kurt's songs but really more into Dave Grohl (and Foo Fighters) so glad to see his arcade collection you posted.

And to quote the Sex Pistols, "Nevermind the Haters Bollocks."

Oh ok lol. I'm airing my new episode with Krist sometime next month,but been in touch with him. I'm also getting Dave Grohl on at some point so I'll ask him about his arcade cab collection! :)

• 6 months later...

The ball is rolling fast now,Krist himself just subbed my Youtube channel today! :love: ?

krist2.jpg.07bf396233a6ba6e915ed411219d6464.jpg

Any gaming questions for Krist??? I can't wait to unleash my new radio episode with him,it's gonna be so Heavy on the music tip with lots of Nintendo Metal.

In other news also the Toxic Avenger creator's appearing on my show in a few weeks! 

8 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Lushgirl it is epic that your able to talk to someone from the one of the greatest bands of all time. Nirvana is my favorite band, and helped me get through some really rough times. Did you already do the full interview or are you still taking questions you might ask him?

I'm still taking questions at the moment. The interview's gonna be on 2 FM radio stations in Northern California,and also will be live on Youtube. Krist has been super busy with his new bands lately,but we've been keeping in touch via Twitter since last summer. He was hard to get ahold of! I feel so flattered that he likes my channel even. Once his schedule frees up a bit soon I'll be airing this new episode very quick! :)

Thank you btw. I hope you can tune in! Also taking game requests as I like playing games on the air sometimes during the song mixes. Oh there's also a new NES homebrew that's in the works which will be the direct sequel to the 7800 game that is based on my show which was released in 2018. A friend's helping with the game design and I'm gonna produce the music for it :love: 

On a sidenote i've already interviewed one of the Nirvana drummers Chad Channing who appeared on the first Nirvana album Bleach(which true music fans consider their best). He also appears on the song Polly from Nevermind....

I was also just chatting up with David Yow,the lead singer of The Jesus Lizard last night also! He was a very close friend of Kurt's.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few suggestions of ?'s to ask Krist.

1)What was it like playing "The Man Who Sold the World" with Pat Smear, Dave Grohl, and Beck back in 2016?

(the 1993 unplugged version they covered might be one of my favorite songs of all time)

2)What what is it like playing "Aneurysm" with Kim Gordon at the rock and roll hall of fame?

3)Also what bands did he enjoy partying/hanging out with back in the 90's?

I think they were friends with REM. I also once saw a video of youtube with them playing twister with the Smashing Pumpkins and I heard they partied with Alice and Chains one time on tour.

Please dont worry If you dont get a chance to ask any of these questions, I'm sure you have allot things you want to ask him already.

Thanks again for letting us know about the interview, i cant wait to hear it :)

Edited by Nintendo64