IGNORED

Kurt Cobain playing GameBoy

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 3:37 AM, lushgirl_80 said:

Nirvana album Bleach(which true music fans consider their best).

Huh?  What's this about true music fans...?

Don't get me wrong, I love Bleach, but I can't think of a single criterion by which Bleach surpasses Nevermind or In Utero. 

I know this for sure: Kurt and Krist certainly wouldn't consider Bleach to be their best work; far from it.  At the time of Bleach, Nirvana didn't have the luxury of true creative freedom, because they were basically nobodies (relatively speaking.)  Kurt had to suppress many of his songwriting instincts to "fit" into the Sub Pop scene.  This is why most of Bleach is kind of 1-dimensional, full of warmed over 70s riffs, etc.  He did sneak "About A Girl" onto the record, which hinted where Nirvana would eventually head musically, which was toward the melodic sound that would define Nevermind and make them superstars.  It's telling that some of the tunes on Nevermind already existed at the time Bleach was recorded, but they didn't put them on Bleach because they were afraid they wouldn't fit well with the Sub Pop scene at the time. 

31 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

Huh?  What's this about true music fans...?

Don't get me wrong, I love Bleach, but I can't think of a single criterion by which Bleach surpasses Nevermind or In Utero. 

I know this for sure: Kurt and Krist certainly wouldn't consider Bleach to be their best work; far from it.  At the time of Bleach, Nirvana didn't have the luxury of true creative freedom, because they were basically nobodies (relatively speaking.)  Kurt had to suppress many of his songwriting instincts to "fit" into the Sub Pop scene.  This is why most of Bleach is kind of 1-dimensional, full of warmed over 70s riffs, etc.  He did sneak "About A Girl" onto the record, which hinted where Nirvana would eventually head musically, which was toward the melodic sound that would define Nevermind and make them superstars.  It's telling that some of the tunes on Nevermind already existed at the time Bleach was recorded, but they didn't put them on Bleach because they were afraid they wouldn't fit well with the Sub Pop scene at the time. 

It's really subjective. While it's tough for me often to get how somebody could prefer Bleach over Nevermind or In Utero, I have to remind myself that it's a matter of taste. They all have such a different style from one another, and evoke different emotions. Personally, I find Bleach to be primitive to their other two studio albums. But it has it's own unique sound that strongly resonates with certain people.

6 hours ago, MadZiontist said:

It's really subjective. While it's tough for me often to get how somebody could prefer Bleach over Nevermind or In Utero, I have to remind myself that it's a matter of taste. They all have such a different style from one another, and evoke different emotions. Personally, I find Bleach to be primitive to their other two studio albums. But it has it's own unique sound that strongly resonates with certain people.

Of course.  Tastes vary.  Heck, there are definitely days when I’m more in the mood for Negative Creep than In Bloom.  I just don’t agree with the sentiment that people who prefer Bleach are the only “true music fans.”    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynicaster said:

Of course.  Tastes vary.  Heck, there are definitely days when I’m more in the mood for Negative Creep than In Bloom.  I just don’t agree with the sentiment that people who prefer Bleach are the only “true music fans.”    

That's a ridiculous statement. I don't know why people think like that.

Eh don't take what people say on the net too literally guys lol. I think what I meant is that people who are more  aware of music history will acknowledge Bleach as a great album because some people are not aware that album even exists. I take that comment back actually since it is clearly offending some people(which wasn't my intention). It's just a minor reaction to someone who trolled on me on a forum awhile back saying Bleach isn't a good album as the others,it definitely is. Some unfortunate soul told me Chad isn't as significant as Dave Grohl. Totally untrue. Chad Channing is a great drummer. Maybe not as hard hitting as Grohl but without him there wouldn't have been the foundation set which helped them evolve towards Nevermind. I like all their albums. I just think it's sad that some people think Nevermind is their first album,it isn't. IMO Bleach is equal to In Utero,there isn't a bad song on it! 

Anyways I'm not here to argue with anybody. Some more questions for Krist would be nice! :)

• Like 1

Dont worry about it at all lushgirl, I didnt even think twice about your comment. Its funny how everyone takes everything a little differently in the world. Im a Nirvana fan just like millions of people worldwide and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

"Oh this songs called opinion, congratulations you have won, its a year subscription of bad puns, and it makes your story of concern, and they set it up before it burns, Opinions" Nirvana:)

Edited by Nintendo64

15 hours ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Eh don't take what people say on the net too literally guys lol. I think what I meant is that people who are more  aware of music history will acknowledge Bleach as a great album because some people are not aware that album even exists. I take that comment back actually since it is clearly offending some people(which wasn't my intention). It's just a minor reaction to someone who trolled on me on a forum awhile back saying Bleach isn't a good album as the others,it definitely is. Some unfortunate soul told me Chad isn't as significant as Dave Grohl. Totally untrue. Chad Channing is a great drummer. Maybe not as hard hitting as Grohl but without him there wouldn't have been the foundation set which helped them evolve towards Nevermind. I like all their albums. I just think it's sad that some people think Nevermind is their first album,it isn't. IMO Bleach is equal to In Utero,there isn't a bad song on it! 

Anyways I'm not here to argue with anybody. Some more questions for Krist would be nice! :)

I'm not remotely offended by the comment; I'm simply responding to it. 

If what you meant to say was that more discerning music fans will be more likely to know about and appreciate Bleach, then I 100% agree with that.  Nevermind is arguably their masterpiece, but it also is much "easier" for the masses to like because it is full of pop songs.  Bleach is more raw and gritty, and not for the faint of heart.

I think Dave Grohl's drumming style is a better fit for Nirvana than Chad Channing's, but I agree that Chad is pretty good in his own right.  It's worth pointing out that Dave Grohl copied Chad Channing's drum parts more or less beat for beat on some of the Nevermind tunes, including In Bloom with its cool drum-fueled intro and the machine gun blast drums of Stay Away (which was called Pay to Play when Chad was in the band). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

any updates on the interview lushgirl? id really like to hear it. A while back I used to enjoy watching old Nirvana interviews, and Krist was pretty goofy/funny back then and it was very entertaining to watch. Im sure hes changed allot since those old days, especially from what hes been through in losing his best friend that way. I guess we all change as time goes on.

Edited by Nintendo64