IGNORED

Time to ditch the QT?

I've been thinking for a while as other open source apps move to wxWidgets, GTk or web interfaces is it time to ditch the old QT interface, make RespeQt a daemon and have it offer a web interface? It would certainly be more flexible being able to run RespeQt on a machine without a keyboard, or screen and use a web browser on another device to control it.

Thoughts?

I don't see anybody else. It's just ebiguy and me, at the moment.

Also, I don't see how dropping Qt makes RespeQt any better, just because others move to other frameworks.

Over there in the OS/2 world, it's a sesnsation, that Qt5 is gettng ported.

So, no. I don't want it.

at the moment

Dropping Qt makes running RespeQT on a headless server controllable from a web enabled device like a phone possible. It lowers the memory overhead and the CPU requirements to levels that even SBC's and some embedded controllers can reach without struggling.

Those two things, IMHO, make it better.

I'd rather spend my time on RespeQt actually adding features to it than rewriting it completely. That's what it will come down to.

If it's about resource management, there is probably something to be done.

I applaud your idea, but don't count me in. I'm juggling too many balls already.

• Like 1

This is the joy of open-source. If someone else wants to take the codebase, untangle all the Qt-specific stuff and use a different set of tools, more power to 'em. Let us all know when you have progress to report! :)

But I don't think it can be called RespeQt (since "Qt" is part of the name). If nothing else it would lead to all sorts of user-confusion.

Just my two cents.

Hello Herb

But I don't think it can be called RespeQt (since "Qt" is part of the name).

If the "k" is silent, RespeGTk doesn't sound too bad, but RespewxWidgets is an absolute no-go as far as I'm concerned.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy