IGNORED

Flashback 9 controller compatibility, which controllers will not work?

Now, before I go on eBay and get the Canadian-market Flashback 9 (model no. AR3230, the one with composite RCA output and SD card slot), I need to find out which controllers she will not work with, after all I own a Wico redball stick, a few Atari CX24 (7800) sticks and also a couple of CX80 Trak-Ball controllers that I used to use with my Harmony Encore multicart through the 2600 adapter on my 5200, I need to know if these (or any others like the classic paddle or driving controllers or the video touchpad for Star Raiders) will or will not work with it. All I need is a list of compatible controllers as I already know almost all the games (650+ games on my SD card) will work on her, it's just that I am a purist who insists on using a trak-ball for Centipede, Millipede, and Missile Command among others, so am I good to go with the FB9 or should I re-acquire the Harmony Encore multicart, in which would require a ton of space for both the 5200 with the 2600 adapter and also the multicart?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atgames-Atari-Flashback-9-Classic-Gaming-Console-Black/254221214500

Oh don't get FB9 with RCA!!!! It has the old AtGames emulator (also in FB Portables) and not the 3.9.3 Stella emulator. FB9 with RCA can't be upgraded and can't play many Atari 2600 games that the FB 9 HDMI (comes with Stella 3.9.3) can.

Just get a new one as it clost LESS due to shipping on ebay and it will play many more games:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-Flashback-9-HDMI-Game-Consoles-110-Games-Wired-Joystick-Controllers-Black-AR3050-818858029636/104242382

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Flashback-9-Electronic-Games/dp/B07FK293JJ

OR

Lots of other reputable on-line businesses.

I use the controllers that came with unit as I never had any other options with original Atari games. Old original Atari 2600 CX-40s work fine. Paddles do NOT work.. not sure about Trak-balls.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

Thanks! Then that's settled, I'll just reacquire the Harmony Encore multicart in which I know all of my controllers (including the CX80 Trak-Ball, in which is the ONLY WAY to REALLY play Centipede, Millipede and Missile Command, and a few others, as it produces higher scores and more accuracy) will work with it, and that will play almost all of my 650 games on the 2600-specific SD card will work.

Thanks! Then that's settled, I'll just reacquire the Harmony Encore multicart in which I know all of my controllers (including the CX80 Trak-Ball, in which is the ONLY WAY to REALLY play Centipede, Millipede and Missile Command, and a few others, as it produces higher scores and more accuracy) will work with it, and that will play almost all of my 650 games on the 2600-specific SD card will work.

I think you made the right decision for yourself. Glad to help. Just note that next year's FB 10 will likely have Atari 7800 support and the Atari 7800 Centipede has almost arcade detail.

Edited by thetick1

Where did you find this out? Link?

I missed the portable part. The Next Atari Flashback Portal will likely have 7800 support.

See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/291601-what-7800-games-do-you-want-to-see-on-atari-flashback-portable/ and note Bill has publicly stated in this forum he's AtGames ears to the AtariAge community.

I just suspect the AFB 10 is very likely to have Atari 7800 support also.

Edited by thetick1

I missed the portable part. The Next Atari Flashback Portal will likely have 7800 support.

See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/291601-what-7800-games-do-you-want-to-see-on-atari-flashback-portable/ and note Bill has publicly stated in this forum he's AtGames ears to the AtariAge community.

I just suspect the AFB 10 is very likely to have Atari 7800 support also.

To clarify, while I think we should be able to make some hardware changes, I'm not really optimistic we'll be able to add in another platform for this year on the portable. I'm putting together the wish list and then we'll see what can make it in in time. I'll keep everyone posted. And to clarify my role with AtGames, I work for them. I act as the de facto community advocate as part of my larger role.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...