IGNORED

Side2 and Ulitimate 1MB upgrade but still can't play ATR games

9 hours ago, Philsan said:

Most games are available on XEX format.

You found dowload links on Topic for newbies but the best repository of games is Homesoft (click on download all on the right side).

Games are in ATR format only when they are not available in XEX format.

Moreover, XEX versions are always updated to be clean (no crack intros, no screen flickering on loading...).

Thanks so much :)

For others that posted with suggestions, thank you also, however I will spend some time enjoying the machine again before I revisit the ATR booting issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Success!!

Lotharek's manual on the SIO2PC says that the handshake method should be set to DSR... well, I set it to SOFTWARE(SIO2BT) and what do you know, it worked.

It makes a mockery of RTFM when the manual is wrong.

So anyway, I have now been able to update the firmware of both the Side2 and the U1MB. Sure enough, I can now boot ATR images directly from the Side2. Good times :)

Thank's for everyone's help.

it should work as described in the manual... if you were using respeqt did you have falling edge on or off?

were you using a wintel os, mac os, or linux os to serve from?

In order to help others what you were using and version numbers will be helpful

Edited by _The Doctor__

All well and good, but the manual is years old... a complete run down of what you were using and the revision numbers will help to troubleshoot for others with your same difficulty. After such is done lotherik could be apprised of the issues and either a fix or a change to the manual could be made.

• Like 1

-The SIO2PC has a sticker on it that reads: 2019-May-27-147

-I am using Windows 10
-The driver is FTDI 2.12.0.0 (On the Advanced tab of the USB device Load VCP must be checked for the port to be visible)

-RespeQt is version r4 (in settings port should match COM of driver and the handshaking should be set to SOFTWARE)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kelvintronic

6 hours ago, Kelvintronic said:

Success!!

Lotharek's manual on the SIO2PC says that the handshake method should be set to DSR... well, I set it to SOFTWARE(SIO2BT) and what do you know, it worked.

It makes a mockery of RTFM when the manual is wrong.

So anyway, I have now been able to update the firmware of both the Side2 and the U1MB. Sure enough, I can now boot ATR images directly from the Side2. Good times :)

Thank's for everyone's help.

You’re talking about two different things here. 

There’s a lot of confusion in this thread, and I know a lot of this due to simple unfamiliarity with these devices and the software, but these two methods of loading ATR files are basically not related to one another other than the fact that they both involve ATR files.

it looks like he was unable to load the atr's to update the firmware on his other gear that also would not load atr's because it needed uflash or some other such program to update it from disk.

My assumption is he played with respeqts' settings till he found he could load the flashing software to do the updates that now allows him to load atr's with his side u1m combination.

You are correct, it was all clear as mud... but this is my guess as to what the quandary was..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

You’re talking about two different things here. 

There’s a lot of confusion in this thread, and I know a lot of this due to simple unfamiliarity with these devices and the software, but these two methods of loading ATR files are basically not related to one another other than the fact that they both involve ATR files.

Well, if you had been following the entire thread you would have understood...

The Doctor is correct. My ORIGINAL post refers to the Side2 and booting ATRs. The firmware updates was what I needed to enable me to load ATRs with the Side2 but I couldn't access the update disk images without the SIO2PC.

If only the items had shipped with the latest firmware. LOL!

Still, now I have two Ataris and I can run one with Side2 and the other with SIO2PC :)