IGNORED

Jaguar rental case

jacknutting

I recently acquired this Jaguar that came in a rental case, which I’ve never seen before. It looks pretty nice, like some kind of architect portfolio with nice Jaguar styling on the outside :D

Opening it up, the console is bolted in place, with metal bands that are riveted to the frame of the case. Unfortunately this blocks access to the ports on the back (only power and RF are exposed), so I’ll have to cut it free.

Thought I’d share this with the group, since I at least have never encountered this before. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

65a30b2abe5d2982f6f4eb91d1eaec42.jpg

025075b623ee00029d3c2c1af2533128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Huh, that is pretty interesting and really different than any rental case I've seen. I'm used to the plastic kind that Blockbuster had... you know, you could actually take the system out of it and everything...

I wonder if it's something more like what an Atari salesman might have to demo the unit to shop owners or something...

• Like 2

It says "HYRMASKIN" at the bottom. Interesting clue--anyone ever heard of that as it relates to Atari/Jaguar before? Wonder if it was used as a corporate demo rather than as a rental?

This thread has some answers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/4033-atari-jaguar-items-wanted/

"That hard-case rental case (one "case" too many, isn't there ), are there any pictures of that? I have the Swedish leather carry-case and I'm wondering if there is a difference between mine and the one that You're looking for.

The text on it (which is probably quite odd for somebody not speaking Swedish) is "Jaguar 64 bit Hyrmaskin" meaning "Jaguar 64 bit Rental machine" then it has the "text-and-eyes" - logo in big print. Inside there's space for two controllers, the main unit (being firmly attatched to the case itself), the power supply and the cables. Quite nifty little thing."

• Like 1

It says "HYRMASKIN" at the bottom. Interesting clue--anyone ever heard of that as it relates to Atari/Jaguar before? Wonder if it was used as a corporate demo rather than as a rental?

This thread has some answers:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/4033-atari-jaguar-items-wanted/

"That hard-case rental case (one "case" too many, isn't there ), are there any pictures of that? I have the Swedish leather carry-case and I'm wondering if there is a difference between mine and the one that You're looking for.

The text on it (which is probably quite odd for somebody not speaking Swedish) is "Jaguar 64 bit Hyrmaskin" meaning "Jaguar 64 bit Rental machine" then it has the "text-and-eyes" - logo in big print. Inside there's space for two controllers, the main unit (being firmly attatched to the case itself), the power supply and the cables. Quite nifty little thing."

I think that my case is exactly what's described here. "Hyrmaskin" does just mean "rental machine." I live in Sweden, and bought this from another guy here in Sweden.

I did end up "liberating" the Jaguar from this case, but it was just by bending the metal straps holding it place to get them out of the way. I can easily put the Jaguar back in its spot for transport, and if I wanted to I'm sure I could bend the metal straps back to their original positions (they're quite soft).

The papers that came with it are just Swedish translations of instructions for a handful of games (none of which came with this system when I got it). They all just look like poor-quality monochrome photocopies of some other source.

Anyway, I got this for a price that, for me, was worth it for just the Jaguar alone, and I'm quite happy to have this fun case as well! I can easily imagine transporting a Jaguar, two controllers, and a big handful of games all in this case.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
On 5/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, bjkock said:

I bought one of these Jaguar rental cases today at a “Nerd Market” in Malmö, Sweden.
So I guess there is at least two of them “left in the wild”.
No Jaguar unit came with it, only the case.

20220528_132007_half.thumb.jpg.6a3453a1eb4f0268f5df212b0616ddb6.jpg

20220528_131741_half.thumb.jpg.4c20126203714849b4da67cf3168efb8.jpg

Wow, this case seems basically immaculate!

It doesn't appear to have ever held a Jaguar in it.

17 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Is there anything to say that this was an item commissioned or made by atari in Europe, or could this simply have been an unofficial item made by a store that was unrelated to atari for it's own rental units?

I have look through every corner of the case and can´t find any Atari marking on it, so I guess it is an unofficial item.
But I don´t really care, I Love it anyways ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Wild...looks brand new.  Nice find.  Certainly one for the discerning European Jaguar collectors shelf..

Yes, it is in very god condition but it´s not new, it has marking inside that reveals that a Jaguar has been installed inside it and the “brackets” that has hold the Jaguar in place was bent aside (I guess to get the Jaguar out) when I first opened it, so I carefully bent them back.

2 hours ago, bjkock said:

I have look through every corner of the case and can´t find any Atari marking on it, so I guess it is an unofficial item.
But I don´t really care, I Love it anyways ?

Yeah it's definitely cool. Was just wondering if there was an official connection to atari or not.