IGNORED

Does anyone Like Action Figures?

We launched a KS for a new concept of action figures (well not new new, I'll explain).

Since we control the full right of over 150 video game IPs. We want to produce other kind of merchandise for them.

I personally love action figures, since I was a toddler I remember loving them. I still got many of my childhood figures and a very large collection of figures from the late 80s and 90s.

My idea for these Retro Style figures is to include a steam download key with the action figure. So the customer can download the game which the figure is featured in, learn about the back story, enemies, etc.

The Idea came last year when I was in the middle of a buying spree of vintage action figures in San Antonio Texas. I bought a lot of toys during that month, all factory sealed and from different people and places (Craigslist, offer up, fb marketplace, flea market).

But a very "obscure" figure line caught my eye (well not really obscure as it was based on a movie). Some one had posted like 5-6 months back about 12 or so factory sealed figures for the movie Mars Attack. And honestly the colors caught my attention, so I sent them a message and they still had them and I bought them!

To my surprise, each and one of these figures included a floppy disk with a DOS game featuring the characters in them. This blew my mind, and I loved the idea.

So I started working on our own action figure line, but instead of an actual Floppy, just a steam card and a digital download!

Well we launched the campaign yesterday and it is doing alright. Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/switchblade-a-retro-video-game-action-figure-line

Let me know what you guys think and what do you think of the idea, what memories you have from when you were a kid (action figure related of course) and what video game characters would you love to see as a retro action figure?

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 3

I think you should stop using contact information collected from your purchase of the Mike Kennedy media empire, including RETRO magazine. I got an unwanted solicitation about this project at an address that was used for RETRO. It brings up all manner of unpleasant memories and doesn't reflect well on your brand or judgment.

• Like 6

I think you should stop using contact information collected from your purchase of the Mike Kennedy media empire, including RETRO magazine. I got an unwanted solicitation about this project at an address that was used for RETRO. It brings up all manner of unpleasant memories and doesn't reflect well on your brand or judgment.

Sorry you feel like that and you post unrelated comments to the thread instead of Pm'ing me directly (so thread crapping).

1.- You can unsubscribe anytime you like, there is a button on all emails.

2.- We never send emails from other brands, it always comes from RETRO. So if you got it, it came from RETRO. We actually pay RETRO to promote, as we have paid Retro Gamer and other websites that offer promotion services. Look at IGN, GiantBomb, etc The World revolves around promoted content.

3.- We not only cover Piko. Look at the website, there is like 30-40 articles about other retro games not only Piko. It is fair game to everyone in the retro scene.

4.- Please tell me your email to unsubscribe you.

Sorry you feel like that and you post unrelated comments to the thread instead of Pm'ing me directly (so thread crapping).

1.- You can unsubscribe anytime you like, there is a button on all emails.

2.- We never send emails from other brands, it always comes from RETRO. So if you got it, it came from RETRO. We actually pay RETRO to promote, as we have paid Retro Gamer and other websites that offer promotion services. Look at IGN, GiantBomb, etc The World revolves around promoted content.

3.- We not only cover Piko. Look at the website, there is like 30-40 articles about other retro games not only Piko. It is fair game to everyone in the retro scene.

4.- Please tell me your email to unsubscribe you.

You asked for feedback, you got it. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that I did it in public. If I'm "thread crapping," it is only in response to your "mailbox crapping."

I won't be visiting readretro dot com for the reasons I've already stated.

I've unsubscribed as you suggested, and blocked "retromaggy@gmail.com" so hopefully this will be the end of it

And no, I'm not giving you my email address because that is what started this in the first place.

• Like 3

You asked for feedback, you got it. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that I did it in public. If I'm "thread crapping," it is only in response to your "mailbox crapping."

I've unsubscribed as you suggested, and blocked "retromaggy@gmail.com" so hopefully this will be the end of it

And no, I'm not giving you my email address because that is what started this in the first place.

Cheers!

What non-First and Second Party game character would you like seeing like this?

Not too familiar with what IPs you own but looked at your site real quick and I think Dorke and Ymp would make cool toys. Gonna buy that game here in a bit looks fun :)

Edit - I bought it :) maybe now I'll have reason to dust off the SNES :)

Edited by Iwantgames:)

Not too familiar with what IPs you own but looked at your site real quick and I think Dorke and Ymp would make cool toys. Gonna buy that game here in a bit looks fun :)

Edit - I bought it :) maybe now I'll have reason to dust off the SNES :)

Oh wow =D Thanks!

Well we own a lot lot lot lot more IPs, but I haven't updated the website. Will be doing a directory/database of games we own in the next few weeks.

In regards of Dorke, the game is definitely a challenge but once you learn the tricks on the controllers it gets easier =D.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Oh wow =D Thanks!

Well we own a lot lot lot lot more IPs, but I haven't updated the website. Will be doing a directory/database of games we own in the next few weeks.

In regards of Dorke, the game is definitely a challenge but once you learn the tricks on the controllers it gets easier =D.

Cheers!

Cool, I like tough games :) I looked at your steam games as well and see a few I might get although I'm not a huge modern PC player.

Anyways back on topic, hopefully your kickstarter goes well so you do your other IPs in toys :)

Agree strongly. I received the same e-mail and was pretty infuriated about it. Retro is long dead and the mailing list shouldn't be used for things that have no relation to the dead magazine. Moreover, as someone who used to have a small action figure collection, I can honestly say that these look poorly made. If you're serious about being in this business, you need to partner with an established company that makes high quality figures.

Agree strongly. I received the same e-mail and was pretty infuriated about it. Retro is long dead and the mailing list shouldn't be used for things that have no relation to the dead magazine. Moreover, as someone who used to have a small action figure collection, I can honestly say that these look poorly made. If you're serious about being in this business, you need to partner with an established company that makes high quality figures.

There has been 2 new issues? and one of them even free download lol. Retro is not long dead. Im not just bullshitting people into paying for a subscription I can't fulfill. It was cut back into reasonable issues a year.

Cool, I like tough games :) I looked at your steam games as well and see a few I might get although I'm not a huge modern PC player.

Anyways back on topic, hopefully your kickstarter goes well so you do your other IPs in toys :)

If you need help in any level just let me know. I Q/A'd that game so I know it pretty well!

The idea is interesting, I keep a few newer toys around but mostly care about the stuff from 30 years back or so really. I know your long list of IP have stuff that stretches into that period so maybe more will pop up in time that's of interest, but the one on the kickstarter isn't as I don't even know a thing about it. Also perhaps beyond just characters, prehaps small ship molds would be nice if you had an IP along lines of a star control type thing where people associate to that very well.

What non-First and Second Party game character would you like seeing like this?

Obviously, all of the Wisdom Tree characters. I'm only half joking. :) I think there might be people interested in the characters from those games, given the exposure they received from AVGN, especially if you have a Noah figure that you can stack animals on top of or a Jochebed (had to look that up) figure that can throw baby Moses.

For the Switchblade campaign, what version of the game is the digital download? The Genesis version?

• Like 1

Kudos... molding, casting, painting, and shipping 500 action figures for just $8500 is quite an achievement in cost-cutting.

Thanks! I already paid for a lot of these fees, (well making 1 prototype is what would cover a lot of those). So we just need those funds for the production of the mold and the production run.

The idea is interesting, I keep a few newer toys around but mostly care about the stuff from 30 years back or so really. I know your long list of IP have stuff that stretches into that period so maybe more will pop up in time that's of interest, but the one on the kickstarter isn't as I don't even know a thing about it. Also perhaps beyond just characters, prehaps small ship molds would be nice if you had an IP along lines of a star control type thing where people associate to that very well.

YES! One of my favorite toy lines is Star Wars. But I didn't really care much about the figures (only 5 articulations including the head) but the Space ships man! Love those. So eventually I'd like to start doing IPs that would have vehicles or ships.

Obviously, all of the Wisdom Tree characters. I'm only half joking. :) I think there might be people interested in the characters from those games, given the exposure they received from AVGN, especially if you have a Noah figure that you can stack animals on top of or a Jochebed (had to look that up) figure that can throw baby Moses.

For the Switchblade campaign, what version of the game is the digital download? The Genesis version?

I've actually thought of doing a AVGN related Line, where we make figures of games he has reviewed in the past. So Noah' is one. Attack of the Mutant Penguins is another one. I have to go through his videos and see what else we own.

The Digital Download is the Genesis version yes =D.

I'm a 90s kid, one who didn't grow up on DOS at all, and the only IP I know my generation would recognize from Piko Interactive is Duke Nukem 3D. I know a few more IPs listed, but Switchblade is not one of them. Human faces with crap paint put me off to most action figures, and Switchblade definitely falls into that category. A Duke Nukem figure with shades could work, but my interest would increase exponentially if there were also alien figures such as Pig Cop. You don't own the IP, but a rerelease of the Primal Rage figures from the 90s would be my ideal retro figure. I collect Power Rangers stuff to this day, and the brand, build quality, and Megazords are what keep me interested. The Megazord designs and connectivity are great. Like Transformers before, Megazords were designed as toys first so that gives them more appeal over the competition.

I've actually thought of doing a AVGN related Line, where we make figures of games he has reviewed in the past. So Noah' is one. Attack of the Mutant Penguins is another one. I have to go through his videos and see what else we own.

The Digital Download is the Genesis version yes =D.

Do you own the rights to Attack of the Mutant Penguins? If so, that would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

I'm a 90s kid, one who didn't grow up on DOS at all, and the only IP I know my generation would recognize from Piko Interactive is Duke Nukem 3D. I know a few more IPs listed, but Switchblade is not one of them. Human faces with crap paint put me off to most action figures, and Switchblade definitely falls into that category. A Duke Nukem figure with shades could work, but my interest would increase exponentially if there were also alien figures such as Pig Cop. You don't own the IP, but a rerelease of the Primal Rage figures from the 90s would be my ideal retro figure. I collect Power Rangers stuff to this day, and the brand, build quality, and Megazords are what keep me interested. The Megazord designs and connectivity are great. Like Transformers before, Megazords were designed as toys first so that gives them more appeal over the competition.

Unfortunately Duke Nukem 3D was a Sega Genesis only deal. However, I want to launch this modest project to learn the ins and outs of action figure production. And then once we are experts we can license recognizable characters (as normally license owners are very strict and have a lower tolerance for mistakes etc).

Anything similar to Transformers or Megazords that we own would be Metal Masters which is a game by Infogrames for the Amiga, Atari ST and Gameboy. Game is pretty awesome actually.

Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAwTqXy0dc

Primal Rage would be hard because I know for a fact WB is planning a Movie so Hasbro will be all over that (like with Rampage). Anything closer to Primal Rage would be the beasts you can summon on Brave Battle Sage (completely different type of game, but only similar type of beasts). Or Rise of the Robots (been trying to buy out this IP for a while but I need to wine and dine the owner).

Do you own the rights to Attack of the Mutant Penguins? If so, that would be pretty cool.

Yes, just bought it like 2-3 weeks ago =D.

I loved Attack of the mutant penguins!!!

Coming to Steam soon =D.

• Like 2