IGNORED

Running Mads on Linux through Windows

Hi,

Are you developing software for the Atari (using Mads) and are you a little frustrated with how your build system works in Windows? Many people are, and they wish that they could use Linux tools to do the build. Batch scripts can be somewhat limiting when you are able to write Linux shell scripts.

If this describes your situation, I have compiled instructions on how to set this up on your Windows PC. Please use at your own risk.

---

You will need Windows Subsystem for Linux on your Windows PC. In order to install that, follow the instructions provided here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Please note that I have compiled these instructions for Ubuntu which is likely the most common Linux version running in Windows.

In Ubuntu:
1. sudo apt update
2. sudo apt upgrade
3. sudo apt install fpc (this may take some time, you can multi-task the Windows steps below at the same time)
In Windows:
4: Ensure that 7-zip is installed, if not, download and install from: https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
5. Download Mads source from 'Source' link under Mads 2.0.8 (or correct version at time of reading) from mads.atari8.info
6. Unzip content to a desired place on your C: drive.
In Ubuntu:
7. Do a 'cd /home/<yourUsername>'
8. Do a 'mkdir mads'
9. Do a 'cd mads'
10. Do a 'cp -p /mnt/c/<file location>/mads.pas .'
11. Do a 'fpc -Mdelphi -v mads.pas'. You may get some issues listed, ignore them (it worked for me anyway).
12. Do an 'export PATH=$PATH:/home/<yourUsername>/mads' as per step 7.
13. Type in 'mads' on the command line, if it runs and give you usage information, it has worked.
If you're not that au-fait with how Windows interfaces with Linux, remember that from Linux, you can access your Windows drive by referencing:
/mnt/c/
Do yourself a favour, do not write to Windows files from Linux and do not write to Linux files from Windows. Doing some may cause you issues, especially with carriage returns.
All the best, I hope that this helps you to unleash the power of the Linux command line.
  • Like 1

Thank you, this is a good choice for those of us working with tools and shell coming from the Unix world.

For a complex project, it is convenient to have a make utility, for example.

I will just point out few alternatives (all available for very long time).

MSYS, MSYS2 and Cygwin

PowerShell and Windows Script Host. Just in case you are not a big fan of BASH and Unix in general.

• Like 1