IGNORED

Extended Basic 10 liner contest

Vorticon

I let it run overnight, appears there may have been some excess generosity with the payout levels set..... :lol:

It is disturbing how mind-numbingly entertaining it is just to watch it - and even weirder the undeserved feeling of satisfaction/accomplishment when four of a kind spin up.

It is, indeed! I finally quit my instance of the game at

post-29677-0-08277300-1559748528.png

...lee

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am working on an interesting program. Right now there are 7 lines. It will be close - I hope the remaining code will fit into the final 3 lines. Should know in the next couple of days.

"Programs should be submitted as a disk image for ease of access by all."  Can I upload a disk image from Win994a? Other than that I have no idea how a disk image is made.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

I am working on an interesting program. Right now there are 7 lines. It will be close - I hope the remaining code will fit into the final 3 lines. Should know in the next couple of days.

"Programs should be submitted as a disk image for ease of access by all."  Can I upload a disk image from Win994a? Other than that I have no idea how a disk image is made.

I believe that would be fine, I think a Win99 disk image just needs the extension name changed from Tidsk to dsk and is the same as a V9T9 image then.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:43 PM, senior_falcon said:

Thank goodness - I was too embarrassed to ask.  

Hi, a question about strings in the basic program, be it as DATA "abc"or defined as variable A$="abc".

Is it allowed from the contest point of view to store non printable characters in those string definitions?

I am trying to sqeeze in some sound data which goes up to ascii 159 and also below ascii 32, currently i have a hexcode representation and go via CALL CHAR to VDP, but a hexcode represenation consumes twice the size in the program that is actually required.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:39 PM, senior_falcon said:

I assumed that you would have to be able to type in the code from the keyboard with no "advanced" tricks involved. Otherwise you are opening the door to embedded assembly and the like.

Yes, if it cannot be typed at the keyboard, then it's no allowed.

• Thanks 1

Would it be permissible to have comments in addition to the 10 lines? This way you could have the instructions as part of the program instead of a separate file.

(edit) The rules clearly state 10 lines. If one wanted to have instructions they could be in a separate program with the instructions. Since a printed description of how to use the program is acceptable, it seems to me that a separate program or file that puts the instructions on the screen should be OK as well.

Edited by senior_falcon
changed my mind about this

CTRL characters on the TI can take you up above 127 when entering BASIC.  Check the Reference Guide for keyboard scan values.  Below 32 is possible with the right scan mode, but not in BASIC editing.  This is a trick I have used frequently, but makes it difficult to post the listing.

40 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

CTRL characters on the TI can take you up above 127 when entering BASIC.  Check the Reference Guide for keyboard scan values.  Below 32 is possible with the right scan mode, but not in BASIC editing.  This is a trick I have used frequently, but makes it difficult to post the listing.

Yeah, and sometimes it messes up cut and paste on the modern computers too.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I seem to be able to enter 32-189, but not below ascii char 32. Last weekend for the contest guys!!! I am continuing programming now :)

To everyone who is also doing something, I hope you enjoy it as much as me! :)

• Like 2

I wanted to have a remark at the beginning of my program to identify what it was. Unfortunately, all 10 lines are needed for code. I came up with a clever way to do the equivalent. If my program was named ASTEROIDS (it isn't!) line 1 would be:

1 ASTEROIDS=HWILHELM2019::CALL CLEAR, ETC...

Just a few bytes, but now when you list the program you know what it is.

Edited by senior_falcon
pushed enter too soon
  • Like 4

That's a neat idea!

In basic I've been using ASC("! comment")/33 to document code when it gets too confusing. It might slow things down a bit but it doesn't seem that noticeable. I remove to comments when everything is working though. It seems to work in extended basic as well.

100 A=2*ASC("! SET A TO 2")/33
110 PRINT A

OR

100 A=2*ASC("! SET A TO 2")/33 :: PRINT A

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

I wanted to have a remark at the beginning of my program to identify what it was. Unfortunately, all 10 lines are needed for code. I came up with a clever way to do the equivalent. If my program was named ASTEROIDS (it isn't!) line 1 would be:

1 ASTEROIDS=HWILHELM2019::CALL CLEAR, ETC...

Just a few bytes, but now when you list the program you know what it is.

whats wrong with using XB's trailing comments? True, they don't work in normal BASIC but still ...

1 CALL CLEAR::ETC ...::!ASTEROIDS, H WILHELM 2019

Edited by jrhodes

3 hours ago, jrhodes said:

whats wrong with using XB's trailing comments? True, they don't work in normal BASIC but still ...

1 CALL CLEAR::ETC ...::!ASTEROIDS, H WILHELM 2019

When you list my program the lines are around 6 screen lines long. The trailing comment buries the information at the end of the line where it is not obvious rather than up front where it is easy to see.

Johnny British asked:

"Can I ask how many chars can a single line of TI Basic, xb etc contain"

I don't know the number in TI BASIC, but XB can have 159 bytes in a line (Plus the line number) Notice I said bytes and not characters. XB "tokenizes" the line of code so that FOR is one byte, NEXT is one byte, CALL is one byte, etc. So you cannot just count up the displayed characters. 

When you're entering a long line XB will not take any more than 5 lines. When you hit this limit, press Enter and then F8. Now you can add additional lines beyond the 5 line limit. Paste XB in Classic 99 doesn't have this limitation.

• Like 1