IGNORED

AtGames 350-game arcade cabinet this fall

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/05/31/press-release-atgames-announces-the-legends-ultimate-arcade-machine/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/mame-for-the-masses-legends-arcade-cabinet-could-thread-that-needle/

LOL at the Wreck-it Ralph logo on the side of the cab. Can't imagine that the controls or display will be any better than Aracde1Up's, especially considering the huge number of games that had to be licensed.

post-61495-0-03659000-1559334563_thumb.jpg

Edited by derFunkenstein

I'm interested but am worried that with 350 games included, the vast majority will be shovelware, padding out the collection to 350. If this arcade includes every game off the Atari Flashback collections, Data East carts/mini arcades, and 80s Disney arcade/Atari games, I doubt that's even 250 games in total. Adding additional games from the Atari and Genesis PnP systems, terrible shovelware included, I still can't come up with 350 total games...

I'm interested but am worried that with 350 games included, the vast majority will be shovelware, padding out the collection to 350. If this arcade includes every game off the Atari Flashback collections, Data East carts/mini arcades, and 80s Disney arcade/Atari games, I doubt that's even 250 games in total. Adding additional games from the Atari and Genesis PnP systems, terrible shovelware included, I still can't come up with 350 total games...

I hope that Rerez reviews this thing.

FB 1 had 20 games

FB 2 had 40 games

FB 2+ had 40 games

FB 3 had 60 games

FB 4 had 76 games

FB 5 had 92 gsmes

FB 6 had 100 games

FB 8 had 105 games

FB 8 delux had 105 games

FB 8 gold had 120 games

FB 9 had 120 games

FB 64 had 64 games

So 1042 games total. So a lot more than 350.

FB 1 had 20 games

FB 2 had 40 games

FB 2+ had 40 games

FB 3 had 60 games

FB 4 had 76 games

FB 5 had 92 gsmes

FB 6 had 100 games

FB 8 had 105 games

FB 8 delux had 105 games

FB 8 gold had 120 games

FB 9 had 120 games

FB 64 had 64 games

But how many are unique games? I'd guess 120 games+10 previously licensed titles are the total amount of unique games from hardware. And then how many of those are in new Atari Flashback console compilations? All told, maybe you could hit 200 Atari games if you also include licensed Disney/Data East Atari games, assuming they still retain distribution rights for everything. 1042 is a wildly inaccurate guess. Even if 200/350 of the games end up being every AtGames-distributed Atari game ever, how many of those are shovelware? Who here would sit down for an afternoon on their arcade playing Basic Math? I believe I've said this elsewhere, but I'm sure the market research shows adding shovelware to these devices to pump up the total number of games correlates somewhat to sales. I'm expecting plenty of garbage and the ability to hide said garbage, but I doubt many games included will be played by anyone.

Edited by ONLYUSEmeFEET

FB 1 had 20 games

FB 2 had 40 games

FB 2+ had 40 games

FB 3 had 60 games

FB 4 had 76 games

FB 5 had 92 gsmes

FB 6 had 100 games

FB 8 had 105 games

FB 8 delux had 105 games

FB 8 gold had 120 games

FB 9 had 120 games

FB 64 had 64 games

Either this is some really awful math or you're the guy that designs all those 600-in-1 NES Classic knockoffs with repeated games.

• Like 4

It uses a widescreen monitor. What a giant waste. Either it's going to be ratio-stretch city, zoomed in hell, or ridiculous looking black empty space on the sides for 99% of the Arcade games that matter.

Have you got a modern source for 4:3 screens? 16:9 is good for other stuff and Bill has stated it will be expandable. A little letterboxing is not a big deal.

The 1Up machines somehow used 4:3 screens and I know you loooooove that concept.

Both for cost and control panel clutter reasons, I question the decision to provide 2 spinners. Most famous spinner games only use one spinner, so it's hard to think of much benefit to the second spinner to go with that additional cost. Also, they're pretty pricey items if you want quality parts, and we already know that if you cheap out on spinners everybody is going to scream bloody murder (see: Arcade1Up spinner reviews).

Also, as another point of personal preference, the big-mess-of-disparate-characters-and-logos art scheme just doesn't look good. I've seen dozens of MAME cabinets where this has been attempted and it just doesn't work. What's wrong with some clean lines and stripes? Focus on a simple visual theme and a small set of complementary colors that look nice together.

Sounds like they've got some cool ideas for connectivity, updates, etc. I'm a MAME cabinet guy so I'm probably not a customer, but I'm interested to learn more about this.

This is obviously going to use the cheapest parts available. Which I guess might be fine for people that don't know any better, I guess. Unless it's so cheap it breaks easily.

I suppose this is aimed at those that are interested in other AtGames stuff.

This is obviously going to use the cheapest parts available. Which I guess might be fine for people that don't know any better, I guess. Unless it's so cheap it breaks easily.

I suppose this is aimed at those that are interested in other AtGames stuff.

Or want something slightly better/different than the Arcade 1UP toys.

Is there any reason to believe these will be any better? Other than more games and more control options, I'd still expect a less-than-great monitor, crappy sticks and buttons, etc.

If I were in charge of coming up with the design specs of this thing for AtGames, I'd be taking a good hard look at the feedback/reviews Arcade1Up received and try to avoid their gaffes.

Then again, most of the harsh criticism of the 1Ups probably came from the arcade collector and MAME cabinet builder community; i.e., not really the target audience.

To be fair, it's tough to build something like this with quality parts and still be able to hit a price point that people will be comfortable with. Unlike the multitude of dirt-cheap retro console units on the market, a full-sized arcade cabinet calls for more than low-cost miniaturized electronics and a plastic case; monitors, discrete controls, and cabinet structure all matter.

On the one hand, the market wants to be all nostalgia-goo-goo and have an arcade cabinet, on the other hand they have become accustomed to everything in retro emulation being very low cost (or free), so they're reluctant to take the plunge on something that carries a premium price, even if it gets them higher quality. I've lost count of the number of people who have seen my MAME cabinet and been like "wow man, this is sweet! I want one!" only to never mention it again after they find out what I spent to build it.

• Like 1

Yeah I had a lot of fun with my 1up, it was bought AS a project always knowing I'd gut it, so the low level of parts quality didn't worry me. But they were very eager to say 'authentic arcade controls' or something like that on the box.... and if they meant the arcade controls of 30+ year old Paperboy machine at the Speedy Pizza downtown that only turns right and the throw button only works every other time, well they were honest, I guess. I had BUTTONS (!) go on day 2.

I just wouldn't believe this AtGames thing will be any better until I put my hands on one and had it proven. Which is likely never.

And completely outside the very tough the cost balancing (good point), I still think these are way late. I tend to think the market space is owned by 1up now, and the people who were only ever gonna get one...they got it. I like Bill, I TRY to like AtGames, I wish them luck. But I think the wave will be way over by the time this hits.

EDIT: Also, I know some folks like multicade art, some don't. I don't. Mish-mashes of differing IPs and brands. Blech.

Is there any reason to believe these will be any better? Other than more games and more control options, I'd still expect a less-than-great monitor, crappy sticks and buttons, etc.

It's just that I cant imagine anybody would put out anything worse. :ponder: :lol:

• Like 1