IGNORED

Caverns (Atari 2600)

Hello,

This is my first Atari 2600 homebrew game. It's an original game attempting to be a typical Atari 2600 shooter with simple graphics but interesting gameplay. Navigating the caverns may be a bit weird at first but when you play for a while it will make sense. Hope you like it!

If you're interested download the source code and the excel file with the level editor, sprite editor, etc.

Edited by Harold Thijssen
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Nice challenge.

I'm not sure that I'd have crashing into a drone kill the player, as it leads to instant deaths when you are unlucky enough to be entering a screen at exactly the same time that an enemy drone is leaving it which seems a bit unfair.

The ship 'engine' and motion sounds do not cease when all player ships have been destroyed.

• Like 1

Thank you Fluxit.

Knowing how drones move is important in this concept. I will make it clearer in the next update of the manual. Or maybe I can do some warning signal when a collision is about to happen.

Engine and motion sound should cease when player is destroyed yes. Will be in the next update.

Thank you Indcsion.

Don't know what an fpga 2600 is. Maybe someone else can reply? I tested in Stella and a pal60 version on my Atari 2600 Junior and both worked fine. Strange thing though: Stella reports the pal60 version runs a framerate of 59.5Hz?

Indcision is referring to the MiSTer FPGA.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

I can confirm when trying to pass through the first opening you crash it's as if there is a wall where the opening is.

I had fun playing your game on Stella, :) Thank you.

Edited by NML32
  • Like 1

I'm amazed that this fits into 2K! My suggestions:

-After leaving the room, I would remove the enemy from the screen.

-It's too easy to die when you are leaving or entering a room.

Thank you MemberAtarian. Your suggestion would make the game too easy. Give it a few more go's and study the path of the fixed-path-drones because it's always the same path even when they are off screen! Also look what happens when you shoot a drone and how much time it gives you.

• Like 1

Thank you MemberAtarian. Your suggestion would make the game too easy. Give it a few more go's and study the path of the fixed-path-drones because it's always the same path even when they are off screen! Also look what happens when you shoot a drone and how much time it gives you.

I've been playing this game a lot over the last couple of days and really enjoying it. It's a great blend of a shooter and an adventure game. I really like that the enemies continue to exist and go through their routines even when off screen. It makes the game feel far more "real" than it would if they reset every time I re-entered a room.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Caverns LIVE on this Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Chaotic Grill (2019 WIP Update) by Philip Blackman aka splendidnut
- Flappo Bird (2014) by Thomas Hopper aka TACS Games
- You Can't Win (2011) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Caverns (2019) by Harold Thijssen

500685015_20190626-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.19a9348c9d77a5eddaea4caf40286f41.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

I'm not able to edit my above post to include the video of the stream from yesterday but if you missed our live Twitch broadcast, here's the YouTube archived version of the show!

Caverns was a ton of fun and we'll definitely be trying to complete it on our 12 hour marathon stream on July 12th!

ARCHIVED STREAM (SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY):

• Like 3

This game is pretty addictive!

Great to see a new '2600 developer from the Netherlands. Welcome!

And everyone from the Netherlands will love the name of the planet 'Venlo' in the background story of your game. ?

Btw: are you the same Harold Thijssen that made some retro games for the PC a few years back? 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello,

After half year of not playing Caverns (was a bit burned out about it) played it again and did two small updates:
-No flying sound when player is not active.
-Restart game by pressing joystick button.

Caverns 20191226.bin

Also uploaded a video:

(choose 720P60 for best quality)

And here is the source code and the excel file with level editor, sprite editor, etc. for who is interested:

Caverns source.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...