IGNORED

NEScape! A new mystery escape room game for NES

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nescape/nescape-an-escape-room-game-for-the-original-nes/

NEScape! is a new NES game being released soon by KHAN Games. It's fully developed, Kickstarter is being used to raise funds for a CIB physical release. You can also purchase the ROM for $10. Despite it using a relatively unique hardware, the ROM can be played on PowerPak and Everdrive flash cartridges, as well as recent emulators such as Mesen and FCEUX (interim builds since 2016 or so, including RetroArch).

Note for full disclosure, I'm supplying the boards for this project, so I stand to make a couple bucks (literally) per cartridge order. The kickstarter page talks a little about the GTROM board the game uses. It's a particularly good board for those who are self-publishing. for it being low cost and coming preassembled and tested (512kB FlashROM, 32kB RAM).

The kickstarter has less than 2 weeks remaining.

3 days left on this.

I wanted to point out also, if anyone was planning to try getting a cart after the Kickstarter, it would be best to order now. With this game, I expect the non-KS carts will sell out quickly, and like the way a lot of homebrew stuff goes, soon after that after that you can usually only buy it second-hand.

I backed at the $60 tier, but if there were a cheaper cart-only option, I also would have gone with that instead. I just like the carts more than the boxes, manuals, and all that. In a way it makes the release seem a little more classic-style, it's not like you could ever really just buy brand new, loose carts anywhere. It seems like KHan has released NES games in a lot of different ways, so it's always interesting to see how it turns out. There was one (NES port of Atari 2600 ET) that was only available through a mail-in order form that was included in the box with another of his releases.