IGNORED

How rare is the Sears Atari 2600 Catalog?

retroeight

I have two: one loose that I got in an eBay lot in 2003 and another that came in a CIB Pong Sports that I bought a few years later. I don't think I've ever seen one otherwise.

Edited by 20ohm20

Haven't seen one pop up on Ebay for a long time.

Just wondering how rare these are and how were they distributed?

lcc

From what I've seen, there were three different versions of the Sears catalog. You can see them at Atarimania (good job as always, Rom).

I'd say the catalogs are somewhat rare; you definitely don't see them every day.

I've come across several sealed games from Sears, and none of them contained a catalog. If the catalogs weren't included with the games, maybe they were only available as hand-outs at the counter at Sears stores.

Edited by JayAre

It appears that someone got one in a CIB Pong Sports. Though if it was not sealed it could have been as a hand out.

I never knew these existed until I got one in an auction.

I actually like the design of the catalog. They really try and make the games look way more exciting than they really are.

Just my 2c.

lloyd

Edited by retroeight

Let me ask my initial question in a different way. How rare is the first version of the catalog. Damn. Some nice art work in that one.

956309f0609abc58b7bd94cc633fd0e7.png

https://gyazo.com/956309f0609abc58b7bd94cc633fd0e7

That first Sears catalog is definitely the rarest of the bunch. I've seen the other two come up for sale from time to time, but never the first one. I'd say it's pretty rare.

Boy, you're right, that artwork is awesome. Has a great 70s vibe to it. Kind of reminds me of Schoolhouse Rock a little bit.

I sooo want the first one. I would love to know who designed the art work for Sears.

Some of the picture labels are amazing. Truly amazing.

Agreed. I got very fortunate finding it in an eBay lot. Bought the lot just for that. I’m a big Sears fan and this is one of my more favorite pieces from them.

Here are the 3 catalogs I know of. They are in order of my opinion of rarity. I LOVE the first one. It is so 70s. Ive only seen the first one one time when I bought it.

Those are all great but that first one is absolutely awesome. I don't think I have seen that before. Very cool. ??