IGNORED

I have a favor to ask a programmer

I have a favour to ask one of the programmers here on Atari Age. I am using Omniflop to image 8 bit Atari disks , however all of the bytes in the image are inverted. Basically what has to be done is each byte has to be read in and stored, then subtract that value from 255, and write it back out to a new image. This will make all of my dumps from Omniflop for the 8 Bit Atari readable.

I am enclosing a sample file, here: test.zip

It would be nice if the author of Omniflop wrote the files out properly in the first place, has anyone had any success with imaging the Atari 8 Bit stuff (90K single sided)? If so what format do you use?

In about 2 weeks I will not have to worry about any of this as i will have my siotopc device from Lotharek, and my 1050 disk drive will be arriving next week, I have to get my 600xl upgraded to 64 K memory or get the 800Xl I was promised. Either way that will be a week or two, I will of course get Don to install the memory upgrade in the 600xl.

Thanks alot for all of anyone's help in this, it is really appreciated , probably not only by me.

Russ Campbell

Ok, I can wait , but I can still use some help on what format to use on Omniflop for Atari 8 Bit disks , ATR is what format ? or what is the closest format used in Omniflop that would not invert each byte, it reads each sector 10 times or 100 if you set it to 100..... Russ

OK, here it is:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
    int i;
    while ((i = fgetc(stdin)) >= 0)
        fputc(i^0xff, stdout);
}

Compile with gcc -o invert invert.c

Run as:

./invert < test.img > test.inv

Unzip test.zip for test.inv, which is an inverted test.img

test.zip

OK, here it is:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
    int i;
    while ((i = fgetc(stdin)) >= 0)
        fputc(i^0xff, stdout);
}

Compile with gcc -o invert invert.c

Run as:

./invert < test.img > test.inv

Unzip test.zip for test.inv, which is an inverted test.img

Thanks , but I have downloaded Hex Workshop 6.8 , it has an invert bit option, lot easier, you guys will get both sides of the Atari 8 Bit disks that I have (140 of them, so thats 280 sides, now that someone brought it to my attention , I can start to archive all of my Kwest Users Group disks on the PC and as they are all 90 K flippies its perfect, not that I don't appreciate your work, but I may compile it and use it to do multiple conversions). Russ

Yeah, it could be handy for batch conversions. But if you don't use it, no problems. I found this thread funny in the first place :) Although I can understand if you have already imaged most or all of them with omniflop and don't want to redo them with sio2pc.

Edited by ivop

Nope already tried it, deana specifically looks for anadisk images, anyways I have 1 working image I will upload it, its called zybex , from TAF... looks like a game, loads ok, question: should I send up the others with bad sectors, someone else may have the same disk with bad sectors ina differnet loactio and between the two (or more) images we can get a good one. Russ

Zybex.zip

You could transfer via network as well, ftp, or network drive, shared folder etc...

altira will run more disks than atari800emu

Problem is that I am running Windows 2000 32 Bit on the P200, and on my modern computer I am running Windows 7 64 Bit, anyways I have another 20 disks for you ....

Atari Files.zip

• Like 1

Here is one that I had to get up right away, it works fully in altira, no bad sectors, the original TAF Library 01 disk, it works fully on my emulator, dont know about my machine but I will try it when I get my 800xl and 1050 disk drives. Thiking of specializing in entirely 8 Bit Atari instead of the Atari ST, I do have a Mega ST4 with keyboard.

Here is that TAF Library disk:TAF Library 01.zip

Russ

• Like 2

Note: ATR images usually have a 16Byte header, the 90k images then have a length of 92,176 Bytes.

Most of the images you have uploaded here do have a length of 92,160 Bytes and are missing this ATR header. They should therefore be renamed to e.g. *.XFD. (Most emulators still load them, it is just not correct to name them *.ATR if they are not ATR images.)

• Like 2

Thanks , but I have downloaded Hex Workshop 6.8 , it has an invert bit option, lot easier, you guys will get both sides of the Atari 8 Bit disks that I have (140 of them, so thats 280 sides, now that someone brought it to my attention , I can start to archive all of my Kwest Users Group disks on the PC and as they are all 90 K flippies its perfect, not that I don't appreciate your work, but I may compile it and use it to do multiple conversions). Russ

I am definately going to use your program, thanks , Hex Workshop costs $89 US , so I will compile your program and use it as it is not worth $89 US for just using the invert file. Again thanks a lot Russ

I read your on Windows. Not sure if stdin/stdout is binary safe on windows. I think you have to add something to the effect of:

setmode(fileno(stdout), O_BINARY);

setmode(fileno(stdin), O_BINARY);

before the while loop.

OK I will do that thanks, I got my 1050 disk drive and does it ever load those disks good, no bad sectors so far, just waiting for my usb2pc device, then we are rocking!

Russ

Note: ATR images usually have a 16Byte header, the 90k images then have a length of 92,176 Bytes.

Most of the images you have uploaded here do have a length of 92,160 Bytes and are missing this ATR header. They should therefore be renamed to e.g. *.XFD. (Most emulators still load them, it is just not correct to name them *.ATR if they are not ATR images.)

OK I will rename them all with respeqt once I get a sector copier that works on 16 K, and of course my SIO2PC device

Russ

• Like 1

the 1050 will make short work of getting the images, between an XF551 and a 1050 there are very few disks you can't recover. if they can't get the job done a kryoflux usually gets enough information itself or such that a skilled person can look at the data and figure out what should be there... :)

OK I will do that thanks, I got my 1050 disk drive and does it ever load those disks good, no bad sectors so far, just waiting for my usb2pc device, then we are rocking!

Russ

OK I will rename them all with respeqt once I get a sector copier that works on 16 K, and of course my SIO2PC device

Russ

Do I understand this correctly - you want a sector copier that works with 16k RAM (unexpanded/standard 600XL) ?!? There surely is a sector copier out there that works with 16k RAM, but copying a 90k disk with only 16k RAM is no fun. And copying hundreds of 90k disks with 16k RAM, you will go nuts or feel like a disk jockey... I would not do that, better upgrade that 600XL to 64k RAM first...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Do I understand this correctly - you want a sector copier that works with 16k RAM (unexpanded/standard 600XL) ?!? There surely is a sector copier out there that works with 16k RAM, but copying a 90k disk with only 16k RAM is no fun. And copying hundreds of 90k disks with 16k RAM, you will go nuts or feel like a disk jockey... I would not do that, better upgrade that 600XL to 64k RAM first...

Not if he's copying to SIO2PC. The copy program needs to use smaller chunks, that fit in 16kB. No juggling disks, as he's copying from D1: to D2: (SIO2PC).

Since you are both online I am picking up some spring material to replace the springs in my reset, option, select , star, help block., have no choice but to do this as I lost a couple of the springs, was thinking of getting the right material, only stiffer, and cutting it to lengths needed, as of right now my option button does not work no r do I have an LED in the assembly , I would buy a whole new piece if I got the chance to... Russ

Are you saying to leave it as a stock 600XL, I am getting the parts to upgrade in to 64 K either today or Wednesday, and the SIO2PC device in about the same amount of time... Russ

No, I was merely saying that with a 600XL compatible sector copier, which CharlieChaplin says exists, in combination with SIO2PC would be enough to preserve disks. But surely, go ahead an upgrade to 64kB. That would also open up a whole library of new games to you that otherwise wouldn't run.