IGNORED

Anyone remember the Emulator Called C64S?

Just having a flash back to my first dip into the internet and finding a genuine C64 emulator. It was C64S (version 2.5 I think). Dude... I must have spend a year with that thing! I ordered the 2 CD set "High Voltage" from overseas and it had a HUGE pile of C64 programs and files.

I Still have the disks, but have since moved onto windows based C64 emulators. Still, that and a Atari 2600 emulator called PACE were my first window into the internet and my first solid trip back into the world of computers and games I actually wanted to play.

I wonder what happened to C64s2.5.

• Like 1

There is an interview with Miha Peternel from 2009 here. Among other things, he mentions an alpha version of C64S for Windows, though I suppose that VICE, CCS64 and others (Hoxs? MESS/MAME?) quickly filled up that market share, plus that he got busy with other stuff.

http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=interviews&id_interview=115

Actually he has a site running, though nothing has happened in the past 10 years. As mentioned both here and elsewhere, there are better options (VICE, CCS64) for MS-DOS unless you're using an old 486.

http://www.c64s.net/index.html

Edited by carlsson

I remember them both. But PACE and C64S are certainly eclipsed by VICE and Stella.

I never liked payware emulators because they are limited to one guy doing the updates. Development can stop at any one time for any reason. Consider the opposite with Stella, it has changed hands a few times and has had new people come into the project. It's rather open and welcoming. And that has made it a #1 choice for VCS emulation.

Just having a flash back to my first dip into the internet and finding a genuine C64 emulator. It was C64S (version 2.5 I think). Dude... I must have spend a year with that thing! I ordered the 2 CD set "High Voltage" from overseas and it had a HUGE pile of C64 programs and files.

I Still have the disks, but have since moved onto windows based C64 emulators. Still, that and a Atari 2600 emulator called PACE were my first window into the internet and my first solid trip back into the world of computers and games I actually wanted to play.

I wonder what happened to C64s2.5.

I remember C64S. I also remember another C64 emulator called "ALE" or something that I thought worked really well, but soon became abandoned.

There are a lot of fallen emulators. Back in the mid-90s the scene got huge with a lot of upstart emulators. Nowadays seems like most platforms have one or two really good emulators at most, and a bunch of abandoned ones.

There are a lot of fallen emulators. Back in the mid-90s the scene got huge with a lot of upstart emulators. Nowadays seems like most platforms have one or two really good emulators at most, and a bunch of abandoned ones.

Mostly because it's fairly easy to get to 80% done, quite hard to get to 95% done, and extremely hard to get to 99.9% done. A lot of emulators stop at the jump from 80 to 95+, so it tends to be only a few that are really accurate left around, and many that are abandoned.

I think it's just natural selection and survival of the fittest. And it snowballs from there. The emulators that have even the slightest edge gain in popularity and become widespread. And this helps attract developers over the longer term.

I think it's just natural selection and survival of the fittest. And it snowballs from there. The emulators that have even the slightest edge gain in popularity and become widespread. And this helps attract developers over the longer term.

Not always though. There have been plenty of top-tier emulators that have fallen. Remember XL-It for 8-bits? PacifiST for ST? Competent and popular for awhil

I think the main issues there were the developer lost interest and didn't open source their code base. Or in cases where it was open sourced, they failed to attract a community to continue the work.

Yes! Just getting C64 games working on a PC, especially after having trashed my own 64 years earlier, was and in nostalgic in many ways. Nostalgic back then for seeing the games. Nostalgic today for getting them going.

I had a 486 DX2/50 and it ran most things at near-full speed or full speed, barely.