IGNORED

Looking for relatively common classic TI arcade games

xabin

Thanks to the kind generosity of the people on here, my boyfriend and I have a lot of good games to play around with. However, there's a few more that we're looking to get for our collection. Nothing too expensive (like Ms. Pac-Man), just some TI remakes of classic arcade games, like Dig Dug, Pac-Man (the original) and Q*Bert. We're willing to trade away some of the extra stuff we have for them, or pay outright, depending on the price.

That requires a 32k upgrade to the TI, right? We don't have one, and we're afraid of opening up the new one and tinkering with its circuitry, considering the last repair attempt. I know that website has the Atarisoft multicart, which doesn't need the expansion, and has Centipede and Ms. Pac-Man on it, as well, and we're planning on trading for that, but it's slow going.

the FinalGrom99 doesn't need the 32k out of the box- just some of the software titles might require it. id say the vast majority of games will run great on stock TI. :)

That being said, I might have some stuff still laying around. I'll poke in my totes tonight/tomorrow and see what I have.

It is worth noting that TI produced clones of some popular arcade games of the day.

TI Invaders and Munch Man are readily available, and competent "homages" that are easy to overlook if you're focusing on specific titles.

Also, if you do get a 32k expansion, you won't need to open the system to install it. It plugs into the right side of the computer, no disassembly required.

Please note that by "extra stuff", I mainly mean the educational cartridges we have; we're going to be using the TI we have mainly for gaming, so we might be willing to trade away some of the educational ones we have for game cartridges.

Fair warning, the TI conversion of Pac Man is not great. Ms Pac Man is a little better, but they're both fairly clunky. Some of the Atarisoft titles are good, but I'd rank those two near the bottom.

It seems better than the Atari 2600 version, which is all I care about.

It is worth noting that TI produced clones of some popular arcade games of the day.

TI Invaders and Munch Man are readily available, and competent "homages" that are easy to overlook if you're focusing on specific titles.

Also, if you do get a 32k expansion, you won't need to open the system to install it. It plugs into the right side of the computer, no disassembly required.

If you do go the 32K route I STRONGLY recommend you get << THIS ONE >> as it will give you the ability of future expansion with arguably the best piece of hardware for the TI in quite literally decades.

Fair warning, the TI conversion of Pac Man is not great. Ms Pac Man is a little better, but they're both fairly clunky. Some of the Atarisoft titles are good, but I'd rank those two near the bottom.

You don't refer to Munch Man, do you? Munch Man is by far more fun than a standard Pac Man and belongs to my top 5 games on the TI. (I almost forgot to say: in my humble opinion.). But actually it's not really a port.

• Like 1

TI's Pac-Man is defintely slow... it looks like they ARE using multi-plexed sprites to achieve ghosts with different colored eyes, I had heard from someone they were using character patterns but the behavior doesn't match.

One thing I noticed is the chase algorithms do NOT match the arcade, where each ghost has a separate chase tactic. At one point I had all four just following me everywhere.

I see. Well, what games do you guys suggest for us to get, that are common or relatively common? We've got, right now:

Parsec

TI Invaders

Donkey Kong

Burgertime

Munchman

Jawbreaker 2

Super Demon Attack

Car Wars

Hunt the Wumpus

Tunnels of Doom (got the hack going, but would like the audio tape)

A-Maze-Ing

Adventure (same as Tunnels of Doom)

Alpiner

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator

And thanks to Digdugnate, we're getting:

Defender

Centipede

Pole Position

Jungle Hunt

• Like 1

Microsurgeon

Slymoids

Blasto

MASH

I think you gave us Blasto. I know we have it, I just forgot to put it in the list. Thanks for those, btw.

I'll check tonight and see if I have any duplicate game cartridges you don't have and are worth having. :)

Okay, thanks. Let us know if you find any, and how much you'd like for us to pay for them.

• Like 1

I see. Well, what games do you guys suggest for us to get, that are common or relatively common?

The TI has a really nice port of Q*Bert. It seems to be moderately (?) common, but prices for that one can be a bit on the high side for TI carts. Parker Bros. also made ports of Frogger and Popeye for the TI, but I haven't played them so I don't know how good they are. Lastly, while not a game, if you ever get ahold of some kind of disk system (PEB, NanoPEB, etc.) Extended Basic is a really useful cartridge to have.

The TI has a really nice port of Q*Bert. It seems to be moderately (?) common, but prices for that one can be a bit on the high side for TI carts. Parker Bros. also made ports of Frogger and Popeye for the TI, but I haven't played them so I don't know how good they are. Lastly, while not a game, if you ever get ahold of some kind of disk system (PEB, NanoPEB, etc.) Extended Basic is a really useful cartridge to have.

Yeah, looked up Q*Bert and Dig Dug, and both were going for at least $25 on ebay.

But actually it's not really a port.

Perhaps an extremely cautious rip-off?

I do need to play it more based on your recommendation. Always, I figured it was uglier therefor not as much fun to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro