IGNORED

Knight's Quest Romancing the Stove

gfvh

This is an attempt to recreate King's Quest II in the Atari 2600.

You travel to the land of Kolyma, ruled by the ancient vampire Tengo Mikuro Kagado. Pay a visit to the convent so you can get a rosary to kill the vampire. He will drop a key which you can use to unlock the mystic door leading to where the Strange Woman is locked inside a mystic tower. She has the secret of the Infinite Stew created by her son who died in the last Holocaust. The stew is sort of a new Grail every knight is after. You are a samurai that is deformed like everybody in this post-holocaust world. And you earned some lands and a castle with a strange mirror (tablet) where you started to see visions of this woman.

(In newer Stella versions change ContaX to 50.)

Last version:

kqsj.bin

Version for newer Stella: kqg.bin

KQUESTG.TXT

KQUESTG.BIN

kquestJ.txt

Edited by gfvh
  • Like 3

batari Basic?

No. It's plain assembly, you can tell because it has a lot of glitches. I see that batari Basic games are very polished, but maybe it is not because of batari Basic but because they are competent programers.

EDIT: It sounded like I am criticising batari Basic programmers, but I am actually criticising myself. :)

Edited by gfvh

Why is there a different version needed for Stella? Unless there is a bug in Stella, you shouldn't have to write code specifically for it. And if you do, perhaps it's a good idea to report the bug instead, so it can be fixed for everyone.

What happens to me in Stella is that the sprite for the player is initiated in a different place depending on the version of Stella. I don't program where the player starts horizontally in the screen, I let it take any place. In different versions of Stella, it starts in different places. Now I am thinking that I should program it to avoid having two versions of the game.

It's entirely up to you what you do, but TBH you should only be writing one version of your program that works everywhere. If it acts differently in Stella, then it may be a bug in Stella. Or maybe "Developer Options" are different in Stella vs. your build environment. IME, seeing different behaviour in an emulator and real system means one of two things: a bug in the emulator or a bug in your code. I'm willing to consider the former if you will consider the latter :)

Also, going down this road can lead to other issues. How would you know if the cart will behave differently on different versions of real hardware? Or in different emulators??

In that case, it's likely related to randomization of certain items being enabled (or disabled). Play around with the developer settings. In fact, this is precisely the reason for these settings; to determine likely cases where a ROM would behave differently on different versions of hardware. If you've found a case of that (and it looks like you have), then coding your game to not depend on any particular behaviour is the best approach.