IGNORED

1531 datasette lacking a connector

I'm hoping the hivemind might help me with this. I have a 1531 datasette that lacks a plug, just bare wires at the end of the cable. I also have a dead 1530 from which I can scavenge a plug from. Of course I first have to figure out which wire goes where.

First of all, a 1531 have an extra wire, yellow, compared to a 1530. From what I can see of the 1531 mini-DIN pinout, the extra wire should be an extra GND not found in a standard C64/128 cassette plug. I've also managed to figure out that the PCB on my 1531 is a #017-5001-01 by studying the service manual but the order of the colours in the schematic does not match my 1531 as I've noted in the attached image. Curiously, the dead 1530 does not have a corresponding PCB revision in the service manual.

By carefully tracing where each wire enters the PCB, what it connects to and comparing to the schematic I think I have the proper order but I need confirmation, particularly on the +5V line so I don't fry the entire thing.

White - + 5V
Black - Motor
Green - Sense
Yellow - Read or Write
Blue - Read or Write
Red - GND
Brown + shell - GND

I'm almost 100% sure about the black, green, red and brown wire. The same cannot entirely be said about the white, yellow and blue.

post-66622-0-45651100-1559656335_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid wire colours may have different from week to week so your best bet is to look and measure the wires. As for the extra GND, the old 1530 had a separate ground wire ending in a small ring of the kind you would screw onto a metal case. Many users cut off that wire so it wouldn't trickle into the userport and cause random damage. Perhaps this wire lives on as a separate pin in the mini-DIN of the 1531?

I'm afraid wire colours may have different from week to week so your best bet is to look and measure the wires. As for the extra GND, the old 1530 had a separate ground wire ending in a small ring of the kind you would screw onto a metal case. Many users cut off that wire so it wouldn't trickle into the userport and cause random damage. Perhaps this wire lives on as a separate pin in the mini-DIN of the 1531?

The extra/external ground wire you are referring to is present on the 1531 but it has been fully integrated into the cable. It's called 'shelled wire' in the schematic.