IGNORED

Good repair/upgrades for the TI99/4A?

seastalker

So I have both models of the Ti99/4a where only one works. The original darker model has one of the best and most satisfying keyboards IMHO. It's up there with the IBM Model M if not in layout, at least in happy clicky clacky joy. I am looking at the F18A MK2 thing but after reading the thread I am not sure what it does as I know very little about the TI99. Is it a video upgrade like (in atari terms) the Sophia or UAV? Is is a ram replacement like the U1MB or Antonia? Either way, if you have a non working system that powers ok, is there such a device for Ram replacement bypassing like the mentioned Atari upgrades that could fix an issue without desoldering?

I am also trying to get the MiSTer Ti99 core working to compare. IF it is a really nice replacement to the original TI99, I may be able to let go of my original, or just keep a non-working one around as a showpiece to click around on. :)

the f18a mk2 WILL be a hdmi interface for direct video out on the TI .. basically emulates the original vdp (9918a) and provides some extra features such as extra vdp functionality (80 col mode, more ram etc) lots of info on the developer forum topic or codehackcreate.com page

no idea on the atari upgrades, the f18a replaces the onboard vdp ram so perhaps that answers your question.. it fixes any vdp ram issues by installing it

Exactly--the majority of the RAM on the 99/4A belongs to the VDP, not to the CPU. Those chips are starting to fail with age, introducing all kinds of interesting display failures. An F18A is a plug-in replacement for the TMS9918A VDP--and it includes the necessary VDP memory too, so any defective VDP RAMs are bypassed.

Hmmm... If it will MAYBE fix the TI99 in video or ram, it is worth the try even if I keep the kit for future ones. Is it still available to buy?

It has never been available to buy.. read the thread in the dev forum if you want the gory details.. The F18a was great, vga out.. discontinued after nobody bought one for a year.. the mk2 is in pre-production design phase.. not available yet

Greg

discontinued after nobody bought one for a year..

I thought it was discontinued because Matthew had difficulties finding the components, and because of the plans for the MK2? I'm sure if it was available now lots of people would want one.

I thought it was discontinued because Matthew had difficulties finding the components, and because of the plans for the MK2? I'm sure if it was available now lots of people would want one.

He didn't order more because of no demand. Then the parts dried up when demand showed up

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk