IGNORED

Impossible Mission Review... What is your favorite game that you stink at?

gorfcadet

I love this game. The idea of this game. I suck at this game. So what do you all think of Impossible Mission and what is YOUR favorite game that you suck severely at? This and Super Circus Atari at the games I like most that I don't ever want people to see me play because I am trash at them. :)

• Like 4

I love TIA sound effects (2600 nostalgia) in 7800 Impossible Mission. And, I also love the new graphics / animation of the robots.

KevinMos3 has made some amazing Graphics Hacks of the "Fixed" version of 7800 Impossible Mission: combo pack here.

For nostalgic people, a 7800 - C64 Homage version is included.

post-29074-0-29784500-1559751138.png

post-29074-0-51513800-1559751158.png

• Like 2

I like it as well but could never figure out how the puzzle pieces line up exactly? On the remake version I've played and beaten several times, the pieces were color coordinated and easy to figure out how they go together. But on the 7800 version I've had pieces match up or appear to match up that weren't even the same color so it made it difficult for me to know when something was correct or not?

• Like 1

Impossible Mission is definitely one I like but one I suck at. Have played the original C64 classic and think the 7800 port is solid (set aside the infamous bug and assume you've got the fixed version) though has room for improvement. I actually like the colorful look of it more than the grey C64 one. I do think the ending colors are kinda strange and wish they worked in the digitized sound effects (ala Astro Blaster) but it's good. If I remember from the developer's thread on this, he tried to make it a 256K cartridge but that made cheap Atari crusty, so he reworked it to be 128K. Maybe someday the source code will be shared and a 256K version with the sound effects can be added?

We all can dream!

• Like 2

I like it as well but could never figure out how the puzzle pieces line up exactly? On the remake version I've played and beaten several times, the pieces were color coordinated and easy to figure out how they go together. But on the 7800 version I've had pieces match up or appear to match up that weren't even the same color so it made it difficult for me to know when something was correct or not?

;)

• Like 2

Impossible Mission is definitely one I like but one I suck at. Have played the original C64 classic and think the 7800 port is solid (set aside the infamous bug and assume you've got the fixed version) though has room for improvement. I actually like the colorful look of it more than the grey C64 one. I do think the ending colors are kinda strange and wish they worked in the digitized sound effects (ala Astro Blaster) but it's good.

We all can dream!

I agree. :)

post-29074-0-05810500-1559782665.png

post-29074-0-63211500-1559782706.png

• Like 6

I really, really like this game, but suck at it too. I picked up a CIB from a game store outside of Atlanta (Video Game Trader, Buford GA) back in 2017.

Love your videos BTW.

Thank you! It gives me an excuse to play some of the games in my collection I'd otherwise just put in the drawer and never play. Left to my own devices, I might spend a month just playing Centipede and Robotron. :)

I did get Streets of Rage 3 and Contra Hard Corps for SEGA today. Contra HC might be a new contender for best game I suck at. Baby Pac Man is right up there as well.

• Like 2

I like Bob's Baby Pac-Man, but stink at it and die almost instantly. I wish that there was a "Baby" difficulty level for Pac-Losers like me. :P Another game that I really like but am terrible at is Montezuma's Revenge for the 2600; that game is awesome but so frustratingly difficult and relentlessly unforgiving in terms of the absolute precision it requires. If someone were to remake it for the 7800 in a more playable version, I'd be all over that in an instant.

• Like 1

Defender_2600 does phenomenal work. The ending screen is par for the course, and would love to see it inserted into an 'Ultimate Mission Edition' of sorts.

The "Impossible" part of the original release, really does stink. Thankfully, I have a "Possible" Mission too.

Not sure how much that matters, as I really want to like more and be better at the 7800 port, but afraid I am not that great playing it. Something is just 'off' for me regarding the jumping timing/physics, that I never experienced with the C64 version.

I may have to give it more practice...with the Possible version, of course.

• Like 4

The C64 version of Impossible Mission is much better but is still very difficult. I owned it the back in '84 when it first came out and it was my favorite game for a very long time. I was only able to beat it about a year ago with unlimited time. Also I really enjoyed Impossible Mission II which is a lot easier. I was able to beat Impossible Mission II after awhile way back in the late 80's.

Edited by thetick1

The C64 version of Impossible Mission is much better but is still very difficult. I owned it the back in '84 when it first came out and it was my favorite game for a very long time. I was only able to beat it about a year ago with unlimited time. Also I really enjoyed Impossible Mission II which is a lot easier. I was able to beat Impossible Mission II after awhile way back in the late 80's.

Out of curiosity, why do you find it “much better”? Playing the fixed 7800 version, alongside the c64 version, I don’t personally see much difference. Sound effects are the big differentiator but it looks and plays more or less the same to me

• Like 1

Drac, for me, the big differences between the C64 and 7800 versions are gameplay related:

1. The robots

a. They don't move as quickly across the floor/after the player.

b. Zapping/Lasers are slower. Not just the execution of the lasers, but even the robot's rotation of 180 degrees.

2. The player's somersault flip over, and avoiding, the robots is easier to pull off.

Number 2 very well may be a result of number 1. above couple with perhaps a 'hit collision detection' difference.

The C64 version is much more forgiving, and I am better at calculating and more consistent at pulling off a successful flip.

A minor item, includes the large sphere/ball. Again, the 7800 port is faster. The ball travels quicker after the player than the C64 port.

• Like 4

Out of curiosity, why do you find it “much better”? Playing the fixed 7800 version, alongside the c64 version, I don’t personally see much difference. Sound effects are the big differentiator but it looks and plays more or less the same to me

Like Trebor mentioned above.. I remember something was just a bit off on the original 7800 version. I have not played the new 7800 version and it has been many years since I played the original 7800 version.

Edited by thetick1

Interestingly enough, I think that the 7800 version actually looks nicer. Note the better detail on the icons on the bottom and on the pulleys of the elevator. Also, the player's clothing has more detail and his proportions are closer to human than the original C64 sprite. Nice work, Defender_2600. :pirate: :thumbsup: (Nick Fury salute!)

Edited by NostAlgae37
  • Like 2

I have the sequel on NES and it makes no sense gameplay wise, to me... but I don't really like trial and error type adventure games. Anyway it's one of the oddest looking carts in my NES collection besides Shockwave (gray cart kinda like the Color Dreams published games except this game doesn't stink).

I remember one port of Impossible Mission literally being impossible to beat but I forget which system it was for. Oh, wait was it the original 7800 version that was impossible? lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16