IGNORED

New Hyperkin Ultra Retron 64 coming ...

Industrial patents expire after 20 years. So the N64 hardware is unprotected since 2016.

Software is still protected but the N64 doesn't have any menu or OS, and whatever ROM it has is certainly easy enough today to recreate without patent infringing. It's probably even easier if this console is based on software emulation.

• Like 2

The N64 is a weird proposition, since the library is small and everyone wants the same key games. Even paying full price, it might make sense to just buy an old N64.

If Nintendo ever makes an N64 mini, it's game over for this thing. If you give people the 10 core games in the library and let them load another 7 on the sly, no one will need he cartridge slot, ever.

• Like 1

Disagree -- yeah everyone wants Super Mario 64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, and Tetrisphere ... but ***I*** want San Francisco Rush, Shadows of the Empire, Cruis'n World, Rogue Squadron, Ep 1 Racer, Beetle Adventure Racing, Space Station Silicon Valley, Doom 64, and lots of other dreck that won't be on a licensed emulation collection. I've got cartridges for all of it, for some perverted reason.

• Like 1

Disagree -- yeah everyone wants Super Mario 64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, and Tetrisphere ... but ***I*** want San Francisco Rush, Shadows of the Empire, Cruis'n World, Rogue Squadron, Ep 1 Racer, Beetle Adventure Racing, Space Station Silicon Valley, Doom 64, and lots of other dreck that won't be on a licensed emulation collection. I've got cartridges for all of it, for some perverted reason.

I like Mission: Impossible. I don't think there's another human alive who can say that.

I have an original N64 from gamestop sometime around 2002 or so. They were on sale 15 dollars with 1 controller av cord and ac adapter.

But does not work half the time. I only get black screen. Cart slot looks clean.

The video chip is dying... my orginal N64 from 1996 died the same way like 5 years ago. I just bought a 'new' one. Edited by DragonGrafx-16

This is pretty cool to finally see something for the Nintendo 64. I mean... It's a shame I kinda wrote off the Nintendo 64.

Sure, I liked/loved a lot of games on it, but most of the titles I wanted have gotten ports or I don't love them enough to have kept the console.

Everything above and the lack of an affordable HDMI option made me sell off my fancy RGB N64 some time ago. If this thing is affordable and works as well as it seems.. I wouldn't be opposed to purchasing one.

The N64 is a weird proposition, since the library is small and everyone wants the same key games. Even paying full price, it might make sense to just buy an old N64.

If Nintendo ever makes an N64 mini, it's game over for this thing. If you give people the 10 core games in the library and let them load another 7 on the sly, no one will need he cartridge slot, ever.

The video from an original N64, not modded to RGB is godawful blurry and messy, looks almost RF quality wise.

I've seen a RGB modded one and it's night and day. It's literally as if the composite was slightly out of focus and the RGb was perfectly in focus.

There is another reason that may or may not be put to use :

Given that most of the games are 3D, there is considerable improvement to gain in making the 3D engine able to display more than 320*200.

It may not be a big improvement on N64, but the GameCube emulator "Dolphin" does it and being able to let the 3D engine display at 1080p kinda feel like the game went into "HD remastering" :

1y20mxbke94y.jpg

(no texture mod, just freeing the game from being 640*480)

Even if the effect would be less dramatic on the N64, it would still at least reduce aliasing and make textures less muddy.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 5