IGNORED

Visual Studio Code integration for rB+

I did a forum search and didn't come up with much. Are there language definition files for Visual Studio Code integration? Besides my own use I figure such a thing would be useful for the guy making an Atari console plugin:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/290365-atari-dev-studio-for-homebrew-development/

If he could assimilate the stand alone rB+ language definition file it could be an all inclusive solution for Visual IDE addic... beginners!

Thank you in advance for any clues.

UPDATE: Probably gonna end up ripping the keywords from the Notepad++ syntax highlight definition file and creating a similar config file for Visual Studio Code. In the meantime I forwarded the relevant files and posts to the guy making Atari Dev Studio.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Will look to add this into Atari Dev Studio over the next few weeks. Does the compiler and emulator run on Windows, macOS and Linux?

Hi,

I'm not sure how much work it will be but I'm gracious you'll look into it. Good luck :). Let me know if you have questions (I'm guessing you will!)

Oh, and everything in rb+ works on Windows and I have personally tested the system end to end on linux and osx using wine/wineconsole. So it should be fine!

Edited by ggn

ggn,

Thanks for replying - so the compiler and emulator are really Windows only? VSCode is cross-platform obviously and I have integrated specifically for each platform. Sorry haven't investigated fully as yet just gathering some info.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:33 PM, mksmith said:

ggn,

Thanks for replying - so the compiler and emulator are really Windows only? VSCode is cross-platform obviously and I have integrated specifically for each platform. Sorry haven't investigated fully as yet just gathering some info.

Hi,

rb+ actually bundles many components, most of them are Windows only, some aren't:

- rmac/rln: Can be compiled for Win/Mac/Linux without problems

- gcc 4.6.4: Can be compiled for Win/Mac/Linux without problems

- Assets converter/ROM builder: Those are GFA BASIC 32 programs, but can be compiled using X11-Basic without many problems (hopefully!)

- BCX (BASIC to C translator): IIRC this one has many built-in Windows dependencies so I haven't looked that much about cross compiling

- Build script: That's a Windows batch file, it can certainly be converted to bash or whatever else, just never felt inclined to do that

- Virtual Jaguar: Native versions exist for Windows, OSX and Linux

So in the end (and judging from the rather small user base) I decided against making the system run natively on the 3 major O/Ses. I have tried wineconsole on Linux and OSX and they seemed to be able to build everything properly. You can easily replace Virtual Jaguar with a native version, but I'm not sure there's much to be gained from making the rest run natively (apart from build speed, but even that gets considerably better after the first run).

• Thanks 1

ggn,

Thanks for the update!

I'm a little concerned about the potential size of the project - it will make the size of the existing VS Code Extension 65mb+ (already getting warnings at just over 20mb and still need to add the missing macOS for 7800basic.  I'll take a look at including it but it may actually be worth doing a separate extension.  I'll need to see if I can find out if there is some sort of limitations but i'd say that may push it over.  

• Like 1

We'll get there one way or the other!

Certainly surprised how big it is! If we do go cross-platform then really you need 3x either most/all of everything which makes it so much bigger.  Anyway once I get to it we can take a look - my framework is quite flexible for adding compilers and emulators so the task shouldn't be too difficult.

7 hours ago, mksmith said:

We'll get there one way or the other!

Certainly surprised how big it is! If we do go cross-platform then really you need 3x either most/all of everything which makes it so much bigger.  Anyway once I get to it we can take a look - my framework is quite flexible for adding compilers and emulators so the task shouldn't be too difficult.

Sadly that's what happens when you include gcc in your project, it balloons in size! I really tried to put in the bare essentials for gcc to work, but even that file set isn't small (also, cc1.exe and cc1plus.exe are probably the same file but they both have to be present)