IGNORED

Building a cheap SIO2PC Cable

rcamp48

Hello folks:

Today I have a 15 min video showing not only how to build an SIO2PC cable, but running it on Respeqt. What you have to do is get a cheap programming cable from Ebay, you know, the kind that yopu would use 4 wires to program a Gotek with, and you WILL have to cut a spare SIO cable, no soldering needed , all you need is the two cables, the USB programmer cable uses only 3 wires, and the SIO cable uses only 3 wires. When you cut off the end of your SIO cable you will find the Black Wire, the Green Wire and the Orange wire, thats all you need from the SIO cable, cut the other wires off as you don't need them. then take your USB programming cable, it should have an FTDI chip in the usb part, if not this will not work, you use the Green, White, and Black wires from it. Connect the green wire from the USB end to the Orange wire on the SIO cable, tape it with rubber tape, then white wire from the USB end to the green wire on the SIO cable, and finally connect the black wire from the USB end to the black wire on he SIO end.. Tape everthing good, (or solder it if you have the skills)....and plug the USB end into your Windows 7 or 10 computer. Watch to see which Com port the computer uses to set your programmer up , and write it down. Rus respeqt after downl;oading it and unzipping it, then go to tools, click options, and set the port name to whatever port your computer assigns to it, also set the handshake method to SOFTWARE (SIO2BT) write delay can be 10 ms. Load your fav program like I ill show in th video , and it will work!

Here is the video:

https://www.facebook.com/rcamp48/videos/10217288567179137/

Note that not everything runs on my end but it is because I am using a 16 K Atari 600xl, tomorrow afternoon I will have it upgraded to 64 K. Russ

• Like 2

Hello folks:

Today I have a 15 min video showing not only how to build an SIO2PC cable, but running it on Respeqt. What you have to do is get a cheap programming cable from Ebay, you know, the kind that yopu would use 4 wires to program a Gotek with, and you WILL have to cut a spare SIO cable, no soldering needed , all you need is the two cables, the USB programmer cable uses only 3 wires, and the SIO cable uses only 3 wires. When you cut off the end of your SIO cable you will find the Black Wire, the Green Wire and the Orange wire, thats all you need from the SIO cable, cut the other wires off as you don't need them. then take your USB programming cable, it should have an FTDI chip in the usb part, if not this will not work, you use the Green, White, and Black wires from it. Connect the green wire from the USB end to the Orange wire on the SIO cable, tape it with rubber tape, then white wire from the USB end to the green wire on the SIO cable, and finally connect the black wire from the USB end to the black wire on he SIO end.. Tape everthing good, (or solder it if you have the skills)....and plug the USB end into your Windows 7 or 10 computer. Watch to see which Com port the computer uses to set your programmer up , and write it down. Rus respeqt after downl;oading it and unzipping it, then go to tools, click options, and set the port name to whatever port your computer assigns to it, also set the handshake method to SOFTWARE (SIO2BT) write delay can be 10 ms. Load your fav program like I ill show in th video , and it will work!

Here is the video:

https://www.facebook.com/rcamp48/videos/10217288567179137/

Note that not everything runs on my end but it is because I am using a 16 K Atari 600xl, tomorrow afternoon I will have it upgraded to 64 K. Russ

1) it is IMPORTANT to connect the /COMMAND line.

2) NEVER assume wire color until you verify the pinout.

• Like 1

1) it is IMPORTANT to connect the /COMMAND line.

Yes, but only if you connect multiple SIO devices to the Atari.

If the PC (with RespeQt) is the only one SIO device than it does not matter.

4 wire cables do not support hardware handshake, so it better to spend a few more $ to buy a 6 wire cable with CTS signal, but as mentioned above a 4 wire cable will do :)

@rcamp48

you can change the write delay setting to 0ms, since it is only relevant if you use SIO2BT.

• Like 1

Hey Montezuma , is there any way that I can connect a disk drive with the above configuration? I would like to get my disks copied onto atrs they all load perfectly with my 1050. And is there any way I can connect my PR Connection to dump atr files to the computer?

Hey Montezuma , is there any way that I can connect a disk drive with the above configuration? I would like to get my disks copied onto atrs they all load perfectly with my 1050. And is there any way I can connect my PR Connection to dump atr files to the computer?

Hi rcamp48,

With your 4-wire cable you shouldn't do it, however there is a workaround if you have enough RAM or a PBI Hard Drive - you can use RAMDISK (or HDD).

You should connect only one SIO device at a time (either PC with RespeQt or 1050).

Copy stuff to RAMDISK/HDD, unplug SIO device, plug another SIO device and copy stuff from RAMDISK/HDD to the SIO device.

Or better buy 6 wire cable:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/6PIN-Original-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-TTL-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable-for-Arduino/202380957889

Connect CTS to "command line" (SIO PIN 7)

Connect TxD to "data in" (SIO PIN 3) via diode (for example 1N5817) this way:

post-29824-0-42481300-1559903987.png

Connext RxD to "data out" (SIO PIN 5)

Connect GND to "ground" (SIO PIN 4)

DO NOT CONNECT 5V to the SIO port !!!

In RespeQt settings select "Hardware Handshake" and "CTS".

This is recommended solution, because you can connect and use all SIO devices at the same time.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 2

I use a *REAL* FTDI cable. There is no need for a diode. I have an Indus GT as D1:, and an 850 in my SIO chain. Never a problem. This is 6 wire cable.

Wouldn't want to have an image mounted R/W in RespeQt if some device passes the FORMAT command over SIO (if I had a 4 wire cable). Even if you are sending data to the MODEM, and that data includes the write or format command in the data stream, that could cause trouble. /COMMAND is there for a reason.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, rcamp48 said:

OK I will wait until I get my USB2SIO device from Lotharek, it plugs directly into the sio port.

This is the device I am getting .....

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=157

It should be here in a week or so..... Russ

I think you mean SIO2PC-USB.

SIO2USB is a completely different device:

http://www.realdos.net/sio2usb.html

• Like 1

I was curious to see your video but... I won't set foot in FB land.  May I suggest YouTube as a place to host it?  Don't bother on my account alone, but consider not everyone has a FB account, but anyone can watch a YT video no matter if they have any kind of Google account or no.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 4

Ok from now on I will host them on Youtube, as FB is not friendly at all.... I am thinking about leaving FB, but I host two groups on FB, and help admin two other groups on FB. And yes I am going to do a video on how to set up both Kafar and Respeqt and run them , it will be hosted for sure on either Yutube or Kizoa as thats where I do them..... Russ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Ok from now on I will host them on Youtube, as FB is not friendly at all.... I am thinking about leaving FB, but I host two groups on FB, and help admin two other groups on FB. And yes I am going to do a video on how to set up both Kafar and Respeqt and run them , it will be hosted for sure on either Yutube or Kizoa as thats where I do them..... Russ

I completely loath Facebook, but I won't hold it against you if you like to use it.  Hehe.  Remember the old PSA trying to prevent drunk driving that had the slogan "Friends don't let friends drive drunk."? Well guess what just popped into head?  Yep.... "Friends don't let friends use Facebook."

Onward and upwards...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, fujidude said:

I was curious to see your video but... I won't set foot in FB land.  May I suggest YouTube as a place to host it?  Don't bother on my account alone, but consider not everyone has a FB account, but anyone can watch a YT video no matter if they have any kind of Google account or no.

Also consider https://www.brighteon.com/

It is a free and uncensored site. It is the future. :)

• 7 months later...

I am trying to build my own SIO2USB cable with an RS232 to USB cable that I already have, but it isn't FTDI based. It's an HL-340 (CH340-based) RS232 (male DB-9) to USB.   I no longer have my Atari 1050 nor my Atari 1010, so I don't expect to be attaching any other SIO devices to the chain. Would connecting SIO Pin 5 to  RxD (pin 2), SIO Pin 3 to TxD (pin 3), SIO Pin 7 to CTS (pin 3 ) and SIO Pin 4 to GND (pin 5). Will this do, or should I just go ahead and buy an FTDI based cable?

Nop! The cable you have is usb to Rs232. That means it uses - 12v and 12v for communication with other devices. 

I also have one of those, but you need and old school sio2pc device to make it work (it includes a max232 or similar chip to make the conversion from rs232 voltages levels to 0v and 5v ttl levels). 

It is easier in your case to just get a new USB to serial already with 5v ttl levels., like the ones recommended. If you can wait, those are very cheap from vendors based on China. Otherwise, those converters are not that expensive either from local vendors. 

Since you don't have any other Atari devices you can get the cheaper ones and they will work. But for a few more bucks you can get the ones with additional signals like CTS. 

5 minutes ago, manterola said:

Nop! The cable you have is usb to Rs232. That means it uses - 12v and 12v for communication with other devices. 

I also have one of those, but you need and old school sio2pc device to make it work (it includes a max232 or similar chip to make the conversion from rs232 voltages levels to 0v and 5v ttl levels). 

It is easier in your case to just get a new USB to serial already with 5v ttl levels., like the ones recommended. If you can wait, those are very cheap from vendors based on China. Otherwise, those converters are not that expensive either from local vendors. 

Since you don't have any other Atari devices you can get the cheaper ones and they will work. But for a few more bucks you can get the ones with additional signals like CTS.

Thanks for the advice. Would this https://shopee.ph/FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-adapter-module-USB-TO-TTL-RS232-Arduino-i.31595899.445084341

work?

FTDI FT232RL USB to adapter module USB TO TTL RS232 Arduino Cable 6Pin

Description: It can be use for win8 FTDI based USB to TTL Serial Cable are designed using the standard FT232RL chipset. The cables provide a fast, simple way to connect devices with a TTL level serial interface to USB. RX and TX LEDs indicator The cables are available with a 6-way SIL, 0.1" connector TTL levels is 3.3V The TTL-232R cables are a family of USB to TTL serial UART converter cables incorporating FTDs FT232RQ USB to Serial UART interface IC device which handles all the USB signaling and protocols. The cables provide a fast, simple way to connect devices with a TTL level serial interface to USB Each TTL-232R cable contains a small internal electronic circuit board, utilizing the FT232R, which is encapsulated into the USB connector end of the cable. The other end of the cable comes with a selection of different connectors supporting various applications . Cables are FCC, CE, RoHS compliant and are available at TTL levels 3.3V. Cables are available with either a 6-way SIL,0.1â€pitch connector, a 3.5mmAudio Jack, an 8 way, keyed 2mmpitch connector (intended for use with VMUSIC2 or VDRIVE2) or bare, tinned wire ended connections The USB side of the cable is USB powered and USB 2.0 full speed compatible. Each cable is 1.0m long and supports a data transfer rate up to 3 Mbaud Red wire: 5V Black wire: GND White wire: RXD Green wire: TXD Yellow wire: RTS Blue wire: CTS

• Like 1

I have built a few variations of SIO2PC cables using the following:

With no handshaking - RespeQt handshake set to "None"

https://www.amazon.com/ADAFRUIT-Industries-954-Serial-Raspberry/dp/B00DJUHGHI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2 

With CTS handshaking - RespeQt handshake set to "CTS"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXVRQ7V/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

I am also not 100% sold on the idea of simulating an open collector with a diode on the TXD line.   This maybe an issue with the SDrive-MAX hardware but I know RespeQt well and it can say I have never had that issue unless I have an actual SIO device collision.  You see that with real hardware anyway.    Anyway - just an opinion - not to trigger anyone. A little more info.

https://github.com/pjones1063/RespeQt/blob/master/usb2pc_build_instructions.pdf

• Like 2

Currently waiting for the components I ordered to arrive so I can make an SIO2PC USB cable. Then aside from joining the fun of running stuff on my 8-bit from my PC's hard disk (etc.), I'll probably be able to help test RespeQT and maybe eventually contribute to RespeQT dev.