IGNORED

Atari History Museum updates

kheller2

In case anyone is not aware, Curt has posted several new announcements on the FaceBook AH page.

Including....

1450 Tong Schematics (coming soon)

1090 schematics

1090 expansion cards

AMY + MIDI

Documents on each card.

Lots of good stuff is coming.

• Like 11

Very nice. But I hope he didn't forget the chip plots he said he was going to scan a couple of months ago

I have to send them down to John Hardie at the VGHM... the chip plots are 40-44" and the scanners at kinkos are 36" max, so he will need to use their mondo mega sized scanner down in Texas to scan them in for me and send me the high res scans. Just need to buy some shipping tubes and send them down to him.

The updates are mostly posted here so far:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/xlperipherals/1090xl.html

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8bits/xl/xl_protos/cards.html

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/1450xld/1450xld.html

Much much more to be following on those particular pages each night... I have quite a stack of folders to scan in and post and lots of hardware that has come in... so it'll all be going up every night.

• Like 6

I have to send them down to John Hardie at the VGHM... the chip plots are 40-44" and the scanners at kinkos are 36" max, so he will need to use their mondo mega sized scanner down in Texas to scan them in for me and send me the high res scans. Just need to buy some shipping tubes and send them down to him.

I see. Please let us know if it turns to be expensive and you need financial contribution.

• Like 1

Latest round of new documents uploaded:
Atari 1090XL Device Registers and General Purpose Interface Notes:
Serial/Parallel Card - Technicals/Schematics, Firmware Allocation and Specifications and ROM package
Parallel Disk Drive Controller Schematic
I/O Notes (Disk Controller Related)
1090 XL Prototyping Card

• Like 8

I just posted up the Document for the Atari Omni which was a chipset called Penny, Vivian and Heather.

It was in Breadboarding stage by March 84 and chip design work had started.

This chipset rivals and outperforms even the much touted Amiga chipset...

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/aed/guide_to_omni-13jan84.pdf

• Like 7

For those that may have missed it, Curt did a video of bringing up AtariWriter (the cart) on a 600XL connected to the 1090XL using the 80 Column display.

This is the source code behind the CRT driver that he supplied. I'm just cross-site-posting here so that more people are aware of the incredible discoveries going on.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8bits/xl/xlperipherals/1090/80%20column%20board/CRT_Driver_1090_80col_card.zip

I'm getting this sick vibe of having all this stuff emulated... and then tossing a lot of money at a 1090 mini box with all these working cards. :)

• Like 4

Amazing video! The 600XL has 16KB RAM. Curt mentions that the 1090 64KB memory board is set to "Bank Select Mode" which means it 'acts as a 16K card". BASIC ?FRE(0) reports 28654 bytes free, which is appropriate for a 32KB system. (16KB onboard + 16KB via 1090).

I wonder:

- How the RAM card bank selects? it would be amazing if it banks the extended memory like the 130XE - the second 16KB 'window' would seem to line up with the 130XE banking window

- Would the memory board in the other switch position result in a full 64KB base memory visible to the 600XL?

- If the AtariWriter software is possibly not working past the menu because only 32KB, not 48 or 64K is available

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe I'm not part of the audience?

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-06-11 at 23.27.06.png

Are you a member of the page, although it should not stop you seeing the posts...

Did you answer the 3 questions Curt set to join it?

Other than that it could be an overly excited pop up blocker trying to tone down the FB pop ups..

Are you a member of the page, although it should not stop you seeing the posts...

Did you answer the 3 questions Curt set to join it?

Other than that it could be an overly excited pop up blocker trying to tone down the FB pop ups..

Hey! I've never been asked 3 questions and I'm not a member of the page. I guess that's what I mean below:

Is that an open group? Tried searching but my search skills must be poor tonight.

Do you have a link to the group page so I can request to join - couldn't see it when I searched.

Amazing video! The 600XL has 16KB RAM. Curt mentions that the 1090 64KB memory board is set to "Bank Select Mode" which means it 'acts as a 16K card". BASIC ?FRE(0) reports 28654 bytes free, which is appropriate for a 32KB system. (16KB onboard + 16KB via 1090).

I wonder:

- How the RAM card bank selects? it would be amazing if it banks the extended memory like the 130XE - the second 16KB 'window' would seem to line up with the 130XE banking window

- Would the memory board in the other switch position result in a full 64KB base memory visible to the 600XL?

- If the AtariWriter software is possibly not working past the menu because only 32KB, not 48 or 64K is available

The owners manual for the 1066:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8bits/xl/xlperipherals/1090/64K%20Board/1090_64K_ram_card_owners_guide.pdf

1064 mode gives you 64k in a 600xl. You can have a 1064 mode card then add additional bank mode cards.

When in the Bank Select Mode, your 1090/l XL 64K RAM Card is divided into four RAM "banks" of 16K RAM each. These banks are numbered 0, l, 2 and 3. Each bank occupies the same address space: 16384 to 32767.

To select another bank of 16K Ram on the RAM Card, you need only write the bank number to address 53758.

You can also turn off the bank and use the internal RAM.

You can have two cards in bank mode for 192k total. This is pretty neat.

• Like 1

Attn Spookt..

On the mainpage https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903/

Just to the bottom left of the fancy / nice picture is the word join..You get 3 questions re how you enjoy the 8 bit....Don't skip them BUT I am sure you can still see the content as a non member...

Give it a shot anyway...

If its not that then I suspect it is the pop up thing..

Edited by Mclaneinc