IGNORED

Keyboard Help with Altirra Pls :)

lentaro

Hi all! Juuuust installed Altirra on a Win10 system, loaded Questron (Atari 400/800), loaded perfectly, but I can't get the past the first screen where I have to choose 1 2 or 3. The emulator "sees" my keyboard because no matter what key I hit, it gives me an error message that says "Click 1 2 or 3" (or something like that). I've tried like EVERY keyboard setting in preferences, every mapping option and I feeeeeeel like I'm simply missing something here.

Would be super appreciative of any help! I'm sure there's more info you may need to answer the question, I'm just not sure what you would need, but please let me know, TIA!

Leonard

By default when Altirra starts Atari 400/800 it opens "altirra bios - memo pad". You can test the keyboard there. Under Input > Keyboard I have settings left as default: key press - raw keys, layout - natural. If you have joystick mappings that map keyboard numbers, disable/delete them.

What version of Altirra? What country keyboard in windows?

mr_me, when I start Altirra and have a blue screen, everything types fine. I add the Questron disk, cold reset, questron starts, I click a key to get to the "Enter 1 2 or 3" screen, but then no matter what key I press, it just flashes "press 1 2 or 3" ... but it only flashes when I HIT a key so the input is registering, it's just not doing anything :(

That means Altirra is reading the number keys correctly; there is something else going on. I tried Questron as well and am experiencing the same problem; same image files work in mame. You can try asking the Altirra developer.

Edited by mr_me

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, mr_me said:

That did it. In altirra 3.1, go to; system>configure system>firmware>firmware manager; to add the atari os rom image file.

Thank you.  I am not quite sure how I got this working as it was quite clear which one to select or if I needed to download an os rom file (which I eventually tried too).  I kept playing around with the firmware and CPU settings and eventually I got it to work, but then the keyboard layout was kind of screwy:

Reg

+ South
- North
W Wear
R Rob
T Take
U Unlock
I Inventory
A Arm
S Speak
D Dismount
F Fight
G Game Speed
H Hold
K Kill Self
X Location
C Climb
V Leave Town
B Board
M Magic

Numeric
+ West
* East

That was as far as I got when trying to figure it out.  I'd share the settings I used, but now when I start up Altirra64 3.1 I am getting a boot error, so I probably have more stuff to figure out before I start dispensing advice haha.  Thanks from a former Ontario resident myself now in North Carolina