IGNORED

Cheap video convertor.

chevymad

However, my old Dell with S-Video input provides better results (but it includes sharpening and refuses to handle one of my 130s):

attachicon.gifdell-monitor-converter.jpg

I would say that my results are probably closest to this although maybe just a bit darker. My output was pretty clean looking but a little darker than I'm used to; results were a little improved when I put the TV's A/V setting to "GAME".

• Like 1

So I did some tests of this little widget tonight after work - thankfully I did *NOT* have another 14 hour day! Pardon all the pics but I figured it would be best to show as much as possible for such a major investement ... ;)

Okay, first we have some closeups of composite video from my UAV rev D-equipped 7800. This box does not yet have an S-video connection. From sitting about 6' away from my 2013 Samsung 1080p LED set up in the gameroom, it looks just fine - as noted by others, maybe just a bit dimmer than through the direct Composite connection (this TV is just old enough to still have a composite jack built in; our 2018 Samsung QLED 4K set downstairs no longer has analog connections at all).

First, a full-size view of the Commando title screen:

post-30400-0-23643100-1560295042_thumb.jpg

Next a closeup:

post-30400-0-61766500-1560295090_thumb.jpg

Joust:

post-30400-0-59412000-1560295114_thumb.jpg

So all in all, pretty good.

Now for my UAV rev C-equipped 1200XL, again through composite. For some reason, I'm getting no picture from the S-video connections on this box - I may have jostled a wire loose from the terminal block of the UAV when I moved all my stuff upstairs a few months ago and put it onto a shelf. But composite looks good here too.

post-30400-0-66045500-1560295224_thumb.jpg

(Ignore the moire patterns - they're an artifact of my camera sensor and not visible in person).

post-30400-0-27108000-1560295299_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-07771700-1560295326_thumb.jpg

Since S-video wasn't working from this machine, I pulled out another 1200XL, this one with a UAV as well. S-video looks really good through this converter box, I think:

post-30400-0-34324400-1560295393_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-07915400-1560295413_thumb.jpg

And some pretty colors to finish it off:

post-30400-0-53638600-1560295444_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-79133000-1560295473_thumb.jpg

All in all, pretty good $20 investment.

For those considering one, I did see a bit more ghosting and screen artifacts in composite when viewed up close though turning on my TV's digital noise reduction settings (set to "Auto") actually cleaned things up nicely).

Anyway, hope this helps anyone else considering one.

• Like 3

DrVenkman - I sympathize with your work schedule. Just finished a similar stint. Can you please do me a huge favour, and post a screenshot of FlickerTerm. That is the "go to test" for me. I have only seen one single scan convertor that works with it. I am betting there is a 99% chance, that a row of underscores will look like _-_-_-_-_ rather than _______.

Yep, you're right, Stephen. Too bad.

post-30400-0-11790400-1560300290_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-65582600-1560300301_thumb.jpg

Jon's fonts in TLW look so much better!

post-30400-0-14415200-1560300312_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-88805500-1560300320_thumb.jpg

ICE-T's menus looked better too, though because I don't have a serial port device connected it just yelled at me about not being able to open a port and refused to give me a terminal window. I didn't bother taking any pics.

• Like 2

Is your monitor used in these pictures CRT, LCD or other?

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot for a moment this is an HDMI converter and not VGA...I don't believe CRT monitors exist with HDMI or even DVI? (do they anyone?) It has to be a digital monitor for digital input, right?

I have a 32" CRT Tv that's 1080p hdmi. It's in the back room and rarely even get's turned on anymore. Way too heavy to move by myself too.

• Like 1

Yep, you're right, Stephen. Too bad.

attachicon.gifIMG_1649.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1650.JPG

Jon's fonts in TLW look so much better!

attachicon.gifIMG_1652.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1651.JPG

ICE-T's menus looked better too, though because I don't have a serial port device connected it just yelled at me about not being able to open a port and refused to give me a terminal window. I didn't bother taking any pics.

Thanks for the confirmation. IMHO - a convertor is garbage and non-working if it can't reproduce a FlickerTerm screen. Harsh words for a $20 device I suppose, but then again, I just scored a 13" CRT TV for $20. It will work with this stuff so there ya go. I simply will not buy, nor endorse a convertor of any kind, that cannot reproduce a FlickerTerm screen.

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation. IMHO - a convertor is garbage and non-working if it can't reproduce a FlickerTerm screen. Harsh words for a $20 device I suppose, but then again, I just scored a 13" CRT TV for $20. It will work with this stuff so there ya go. I simply will not buy, nor endorse a convertor of any kind, that cannot reproduce a FlickerTerm screen.

Where you the one that had me test Flickerterm with my Ambery S-video-to-VGA converter? I don't know if that's the one converter that works with it that you are referring too, but it does properly display on the ambery according to whom ever I did test it for and posted screen shots...

Another thing I love about the Ambery converters is there is absolutely no perceivable lag, to me, between playing games through it compared to straight video into the TV, just a better picture since I use S-video through it instead of composite since my TV doesn't have S-video. I still can't recommend Ambery converters enough.

Well worth the somewhere between $60-$100 I spent on them based on model, etc. I've got two, a RGB/YPbPr-to-VGA I've had for a dozen years and still use with Atari Jaguar and Sega Genesis, and the S-video-to-VGA I've had for 7 years, for my PAL Atari 1200XL & other video/s-video-only systems. I just want another video/S-video converter for my 800 in another room, but this time I want to go with a video/S-video-to-HDMI, but I want one that can successfully do PAL too, as I intend to use it with the PAL 1200XL and use the Ambery VGA one with the 800 on a CRT VGA monitor.

But for $20 this cheapo one is looking impressive on Dr. V's machines with upgraded video. I'd still like to see it do PAL though...if PAL signals working right with this box can be confirmed, Then I will get one too and post screen shots of it on both my PAL 1200XL with Supervideo 2.1 (1200XL chroma boost edition) upgrade and from my Stock 800's S-video comparing this cheapo video-to-HDMI with the Ambery video-to-VGA. I have a new digital camera that can take sharper, clearer images than my phone cameras.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I have a 32" CRT Tv that's 1080p hdmi. It's in the back room and rarely even get's turned on anymore. Way too heavy to move by myself too.

Cool. Yeah, I remember now that I had a rear-projection HDTV with RGB CRT's about 15 years ago, that I got used that had a DVI input. I used an HDMI-to-DVI adapter on it. I forgot about it because it only lasted about 6 months before it went bell-up. I also had a friend with 1080i 32" CRT, but it's best input was component RGB...

I may go ahead and take the plunge anyway, considering the price, even if someone else that gets it doesn't have PAL to test it on. Just for comparison sake, maybe I'll be the guinea pig for PAL testing... :ponder: I'll let y'all know what I decided tomorrow.

Edited by Gunstar

Aren't the results these days amazing compared to where we began in the early 80's with color TV's? I started with a 9" Panasonic color TV that worked pretty well with my 800, then got a 12" Sony which was so much better. And then a bunch of monitors after that as technology improved! Quite a journey!

• Like 1

Where you the one that had me test Flickerterm with my Ambery S-video-to-VGA converter? I don't know if that's the one converter that works with it that you are referring too, but it does properly display on the ambery according to whom ever I did test it for and posted screen shots...

Another thing I love about the Ambery converters is there is absolutely no perceivable lag, to me, between playing games through it compared to straight video into the TV, just a better picture since I use S-video through it instead of composite since my TV doesn't have S-video. I still can't recommend Ambery converters enough.

Well worth the somewhere between $60-$100 I spent on them based on model, etc. I've got two, a RGB/YPbPr-to-VGA I've had for a dozen years and still use with Atari Jaguar and Sega Genesis, and the S-video-to-VGA I've had for 7 years, for my PAL Atari 1200XL & other video/s-video-only systems. I just want another video/S-video converter for my 800 in another room, but this time I want to go with a video/S-video-to-HDMI, but I want one that can successfully do PAL too, as I intend to use it with the PAL 1200XL and use the Ambery VGA one with the 800 on a CRT VGA monitor.

But for $20 this cheapo one is looking impressive on Dr. V's machines with upgraded video. I'd still like to see it do PAL though...if PAL signals working right with this box can be confirmed, Then I will get one too and post screen shots of it on both my PAL 1200XL with Supervideo 2.1 (1200XL chroma boost edition) upgrade and from my Stock 800's S-video comparing this cheapo video-to-HDMI with the Ambery video-to-VGA. I have a new digital camera that can take sharper, clearer images than my phone cameras.

Yeah - that was me. I had previously tested 2 VGA convertors when I was still using an LCD screen. I am lucky enough to now have my 8-bits hooked up to professional Sony PVMs. No substitute for a CRT for these old systems.

• Like 2

Here's the DVDO iScan HD/+ having breakfast with Flick-term (fed from the 800, with essentially stock video output):

post-29379-0-20004600-1560347370_thumb.jpeg

post-29379-0-30055600-1560347451_thumb.jpeg

post-29379-0-37469100-1560347481_thumb.jpeg

Talk about TOTAL control of almost every single key aspect of the source image, including the ability to successfully display Atari's image size at ANY arbitrary edge-offset, any aspect ratio, any frame-locking rate, per individual-input settings memory, remote-controlled, PAL or NTSC, and to ANY monitor.

U,S, $90 on ebay (+ shipping, used). I actually got the HD and the HD/+ and I later found a mint VP-50pro on a sweet deal, which is a total overkill for this application).

ONLY way to get better than this, and towards a COMPLETE, TOTAL CRT elimination package is moving onto the FRAMEISTER, which will deliver the very best 240p screenplay you can, and will bring the best that can be extracted out of the Atari's true video output.

Cheers!

• Like 3

I'm getting best composite output so far on my unmodded PAL 800XL that probably wants a recap at some point and the S-VIDEO output looking at too

Using RetroTink2X 3.2 pcb and very latest firmware theirs a few modes that work the best I've seen

CVBS, Composite Retro mode for NTSC and PAL

Composite Video mode

Changes in the new firmware

https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/retrotink-2x-new-firmware/

Here's the DVDO iScan HD/+ having breakfast with Flick-term (fed from the 800, with essentially stock video output):

attachicon.gif0BA327DF-4EA5-495D-A33B-CA3DA548BE91.jpeg

attachicon.gifEA02A1BF-1CDE-477E-B543-65409FD24C08.jpeg

attachicon.gif38AD2473-249C-4A94-8E00-7D2B85C2E84C.jpeg

Talk about TOTAL control of almost every single key aspect of the source image, including the ability to successfully display Atari's image size at ANY arbitrary edge-offset, any aspect ratio, any frame-locking rate, per individual-input settings memory, remote-controlled, PAL or NTSC, and to ANY monitor.

U,S, $90 on ebay (+ shipping, used). I actually got the HD and the HD/+ and I later found a mint VP-50pro on a sweet deal, which is a total overkill for this application).

ONLY way to get better than this, and towards a COMPLETE, TOTAL CRT elimination package is moving onto the FRAMEISTER, which will deliver the very best 240p screenplay you can, and will bring the best that can be extracted out of the Atari's true video output.

Cheers!

Well them there pictures ('scuse the grammar) sure makes me seriously consider one of these devices!

Remember, this thread is about a $20 widget. You get what you pay for and all that, but if you have no other way to connect your old composite or S-video device to an HDMI port for casual use, it does the job.

Like most of you, I have plenty of CRTs (three in my 8-Bit Attic alone, one more downstairs, and two in storage in the garage. We are not the real target audience for this thing. If I used my modern LEDs exclusively for retrogaming and -computing, sure I'd buy a Frameister or something, but fortuately that is not the case.

• Like 3

Ya, i've got a couple CRT tv's and a real nice 42" lcd just for gaming. But none of them are handy, so my retro computers don't get used much. Now this device let's me cheaply hook up to my pc monitor where I spend most of my time anyway. I can set the Atari right in front of me at typing level, instead of up on a dresser or down on the floor. My 800xl will get much more use this way.

• Like 3

I wouldn't recommend a Frameister to anybody it's a massively over hyped product that's defunct and at £/$400 + without the accessories

You get a pretty picture but with considerable latency delay too

The reason i put the RetroTink2X 3.2 out their because it's a balanced price too performance product around £/$100 mark with considerable less latency

I think for people who have a CRT display it's the best solution clearly providing the set isn't half knackered with old age yet

If you can service and repair them that's a bonus most repair services won't touch them that's assuming they have the parts/tubes/in stock and service manual in print

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 1

I’m always game for trying new converters. Last night I searched eBay and found a DVDO converter listed for sale and bought one of the available units. When it arrives I will compare it to my Framemeister.

Two weekends ago I picked up a 42” Panasonic plasma TV that has three S-Video inputs from a local thrift store. The image shown by that TV has become my gold standard of sharpness and clarity. Framemeister output is a close second. I’ve tried various converter boxes from Amazon like the one mentioned here (and there and there and there). They are all distant third place runners when considering only image quality display. I don’t mean to say they are bad or awful. For $20-$30 they are great for giving you a usable image you wouldn’t hesitate to show your friends.

• Like 1

Im always game for trying new converters. Last night I searched eBay and found a DVDO converter listed for sale and bought one of the available units. When it arrives I will compare it to my Framemeister.

Two weekends ago I picked up a 42 Panasonic plasma TV that has three S-Video inputs from a local thrift store. The image shown by that TV has become my gold standard of sharpness and clarity. Framemeister output is a close second. Ive tried various converter boxes from Amazon like the one mentioned here (and there and there and there). They are all distant third place runners when considering only image quality display. I dont mean to say they are bad or awful. For $20-$30 they are great for giving you a usable image you wouldnt hesitate to show your friends.

Nice!!!

...There´s someone providing valid input about products that they can afford or they simply use!!! :-)

Which model did you buy?

In any case, here's an excellent primer on this subject (as well as a sound approach to effectively mitigate or eliminate legacy CRTs):

https://youtu.be/lHoOKLWIMKU

Good still pictures can be delivered in several ways... but when motion kicks in, lights go off for the vast majority of these "solutions"... Only THEN we can see who's who...

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

Nice!!!

...There´s someone providing valid input about products that they can afford or they simply use!!! :-)

Which model did you buy?

In any case, here's an excellent primer on this subject (as well as a sound approach to effectively mitigate or eliminate legacy CRTs):

Good still pictures can be delivered in several ways... but when motion kicks in, lights go off for the vast majority of these "solutions"... Only THEN we can see who's who...

Cheers!

BTW, here's is My-Life-in-Gaming's main sound theme, from Matthew McCheskey:

Talk about a totally underrated piece of sound work, with plenty of depth and a special retro-like notes... Whoa!

Edited by Faicuai

Be careful with recommending Ambery... they discontinued the good converter and replaced it with one that doesn't work with the 8-bits.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/279294-ambery-s-video-to-hdmi-converter-scaler/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4269493

• Like 2