Coming soon, more experiments with HyperXF 4 partitions on 1 physical floppy (well 3,5 inch stiffie :) ) and QMEG.

I upgraded my internal floppy PCB from Zaxon with a WesternDigital 1772 and removed the jumper to enable the HyperXF ROM .

( PCB has stock and HyperXF ROM but HyperXF is disabled by jumper because of the WD1770 not being able to work with it)

I'm still learning a lot on U1MB, Spartados X , HyperXF, QMEG.

Todo : install TrackDisplay and swap buttons

Waiting on : 1030XEfm badge

Edited by Lastic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastic said:

Coming soon, more experiments with HyperXF 4 partitions on 1 physical floppy (well 3,5 inch stiffie :) ) and QMEG.

I'll be very interested in seeing QMEG in action. Although it's in one of my U1MB OS slots, I've not taken the time to understand what all it's good for (which I'm sure is a lot).

QMEG gives a lot benefits for me. As I installed QMEG, I loved it, and actually I don't use original XL-OS. I think QMEG is compatible with about 99% of software.
Most important advantages for me:
- cold reset (Shift+Reset)
- reversed Option key behavior for Basic
- built in turbo routines for SIO2SD and FDD
- built in sector copier
- built in freezer
- mapping any drive number as D1 for booting from any drive

2 minutes ago, Mq. said:

QMEG gives a lot benefits for me.

Yes: it's certainly feature-packed. But since Lastic's machine already has U1MB installed, several features in the list are already handled by the device firmware, and completely independently of whichever OS is in use at the time:

• Cold Reset (Select+Reset, if activated, and CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE+RESET for a 'BIOS level' reboot)
  • BASIC may be forced OFF by default (with any OS, providing the PBI BIOS is enabled)
  • Hias' high-speed driver (exactly the same as the driver found in his patched high-speed OS, but with SIO2BT and PCLink support) is built into the firmware and works with any PBI-aware OS
  • The system may be booted from any drive number attached to a SIDE HDD partition, and D1: and the boot drive number may be swapped (i.e. IO on one directed to the other, providing both are partitions)

No built-in sector copier or freezer, though. :) But the comparison is interesting.

Back in the day, embedding DEVICE-dependent functionally into OS (e.g. Q-Meg 4.04) may have been perfectly sound... but in today's "brave" world of PBI-based BIOS extensions, etc., such embedding no longer sounds cool, or even needed (I would definitely agree).

Having said this, I have to say I like Q-Meg 4.04 very much, and it is (in fact) my go-to OS to boot games, demos, etc. It bridges the past and present of XL/XE SW evolution, pretty well, indeed. There are some important considerations, though, in terms of advantages and also disadvantages:

1. At its very core, it is still an XL-load OS. You can see this, clearly, by just running Avery's AcidOS Timing tests, and you will notice that interrupt-servicing timings are essentially IDENTICAL as an XL-OS (this is going much deeper into the OS).
  2. OS-based tape-loading and International Character set have been completely stripped off from its originating OS-load.
  3. You CANNOT drive SIO-attached devices at Pokey divisors lower than 6. You max out at 6, if supported by your SIO chain. Here is where PBI-HSIO support in BIOS blows Q-Meg out of the water, by being able to dive down to Divisor 0, if supported by SIO chain.
  4. It is definitely capable of booting titles that XL/XE OS-loads actually choke at. I have seen this, repeatedly, in controlled comparisons.
  5. It offers the possibility (among other features) to turn off KEY-click (CTRL-4) and to control DMA at will (CTRL-6). This is WONDERFUL, indeed.
  6. Q-Meg 4.04 is fully PBI-aware (prior versions were not). v4.04 is THE version to have, nothing else. For this reason, you can still use Q-Meg with PBI-HSIO from Bios, as mentioned in #3 (!)
  7. It comes with a SLoOoOoW FP pack, and with a proprietary computation of ROM-checksums. However, this can be cured, and you can upgrade FP-pack to much better version (my daily-driver load of Q-Meg 4.04FP does precisely this).
  8. User-interface communication and details are cryptic, at best. However, after learning and memorizing a bit, it does become pretty functional.

Just my 0.02c

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

Just a minor update, thanks to the info that @Mq. has provided, I'm still playing around with multi-disk games written to partitions on D1:

Awaiting feedback from Drakon on my 1030XEfm badge , but in the meantime an Exacto knife has aided in succesfull surgery.

1600680166_BadgeRemoved.thumb.JPG.4db388536381c364f1b8a8ff55c26113.JPG

Still need to figure out the necessary connections for the TrackDisplay and decide where I will place it.

I also was thinking of having swap buttons 3D printed similar to the Help,Start,Select,Option,Reset keys but smaller in size of course.

What do you guys & girls think ?