Sign in to follow this  
envytomdead2

Retron 3 s-video /RetroTink vs Retron 3 s-video / cooldigital s-video to hd

I recently got a RetroTink. I have been running my retron 3 s-video out to the RetroTink and I have to say my genesis and master system games looked really good. Just for kicks I decided to try the cooldigital to compare and I must say I think the cooldigital might look better. The other benefit of the cooldigital is I am able to run the nes side out to the s-video and some how that looks really good. The retron 3 only outputs composite for the nes, however running it through s-video into this scaler makes it look better than anything I have gotten out of the RetroTink for the NES.

How's the latency with the cooldigital converter?

its not bad, RetroTink is a little bit better there. I would mention that if you are using original hardware the RetroTink wins on all counts. My guess is that Retron 3 s-video output must be pretty good. The cooldigital stuff is very much garbage in/garbage out. I think the latency comes from the 240p to 480I jump. So maybe the better signal helps with the latency.

I think I am going to recant my statement a bit. The nes is pretty equal. With some things looking better on one and others looking better on the other. I may actually like the s-video better on the RetroTink before I was trying to line doubled and it looked bad so I would have to use that smooth filter but without line doubling it looks great and is closer to correct aspect ratio.

That being said the cooldigital was $38 with cables vs RetroTink $104 without.

Ultimately I am pretty impressed with the retron 3 as a sega genesis with s-video. If the master system games didn't have those minor graphical issues. I may not have ordered the retrovision cables and just used that as my sega for the flat screen. Edited by envytomdead2