IGNORED

1050 Won't Format Disks? "ERROR- 173"

A while back I was given an Atari 800xl with a 1050 floppy drive. The drive had a bad 0 track sensor that had to be replaced, and internally at least one capacitor was replaced. Overall, the drive loads disks (at least 2 of the 3 that I have) and is rather quiet compared to the Youtube videos that I've seen of this model (the pitch is much lower, and sounds more like an Apple II drive than an Atari). The drive did format a disk once, but now every time that I attempt to format a disk, the drive seems to go through the motions of formatting, but ends with "ERROR- 173". I have tried both double sided double density and single sided single density disks with the same result. The disk I'm booting from is marked XE TERM DX 5076 and looks for an XM-301 modem upon boot. Upon failing to find the modem (not surprising since I don't have one), it boots to Atari DOS 2.5. I've used options I (format disk) and P (format single) with the same result. Any ideas?

I might have figured it out. The drive just formatted a double-sided double density disk successfully and wrote DOS files to it. Apparently, it just didn't like the disks I was using. Don't know why, my Apple II is fine with them, but as long as it works, I'm good. Now I just need a way to write software (other than Atari DOS) from the net with it.

How did you set the track zero sensor? what is the drive rpm? did you clean the drive heads?

173 is bad disk or cannot format

Trial and error I'm afraid. No idea what the drive rpm is, and I don't think I have the software to tell me. And yes, I did clean the drive heads.

Like Umberto I suspect the speed is wrongly set, too slow...The clue being how the sound is described...

A wrongly set speed would also result in no formatting etc..

How do I adjust the speed? That might explain why disks that work with my //e won't work on my Atari.

Also, would the drive speed also explain why the drive doesn't work with Atariwriter? When the drive is on it gives me a red border around the boot screen and stays there. I tried turning the drive on after boot, but get an I/O error, same if I change the device number.

http://www.page6.org/archive/issue_25/page_54.htm

Re drive speed and how to adjust..

Software, only thing I can find easily...Needs BASIC and OSB so translator disk if you have XL

And a decent one from Atari, does not say speed but says if it is ok amongst other tings..

And lastly, disk magic which has a speed indicator allowing an adjust in real time..

Speed-O-Disk (b).atr

1050 Disk Diagnostics (1983)(Atari).atr

Disk Magic (Blakmagic Software) (1984).atr

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

1 R=25
2 FOR I=203 TO 207:READ J:POKE I,J:NEXT I:DATA 104,32,83,228,96
3 GOSUB 9
4 P1=PEEK(18):P2=PEEK(19):P3=PEEK(20)
5 FOR I=1 TO R:GOSUB 9:NEXT I
6 Q1=PEEK(18):Q2=PEEK(19):Q3=PEEK(20)
7 B=P1*65536+P2*256+P3:D=Q1*65536+Q2*256+Q3
8 ? 3600*R/(D-B);" RPM":GOTO 3
9 POKE 769,1:POKE 770,82:POKE 772,0:POKE773,6:POKE 778,1:POKE 779,0:J=USR(203):RETURN
  • Like 3

Hi Nukey, I ran the bas listing under Altirra and was getting much higher readings 339rpm rather than around 288rpm..Drive set to a generic 288 drive,,Can't easily run it with a real drive emulation with making a DOS disk etc..

Problem?

Just checking..

I did, the speed went up ;) 368rpm...

Using other speed test stuff the generic 288 drives emulated under altirra show 288..

I just wondered if there wasa reason for the speed difference...(will recheck that I had nothing fancy set which would be odd as I disable all the speed ups so I can test as a vanilla machine..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I did, the speed went up ;) 368rpm...

I observed it going down, not up, but in any case, you need accurate sector timing and NTSC for readings to be accurate, as far as I can tell. I get 288RPM with NTSC, generic (288RPM) emulation, accurate sector timing enabled.

Ah yes, must check that, thanks Jon, was getting 288 on those bits of software I posted..

As an OS man, would running an injected BAS program make any difference?

On Altirra I have bas files as an association and also d&d them on to Altirra depending on the way I'm using Altirra. You can't do that when there's a firmware emulated drive (which is a small pain)..But would is the way the bas file is being ran under Altirra be any different to loading DOS, going to BASIC and running it that way?

I have no idea. :)

Ahhh Logic. Hey Jonathan Whats news? Haven't fixed my Rapidus Yet and still no Side 2 to test the U1m software you sent me, But that is changing, beings I went back to work after a 8 month lay-off.

Original OP, the 1050 diag disk that Mclaneinc posted, if you can burn it to a real disk, is the best bet to get RPM. It is actually measures in ms for one complete revolution of a physical disk. It will also help you set your track zero sensor among other test. If you cant get it onto a real disk then Nukey Shay's basic listing will do the same thing.

I'm confused...why are we running a drive speed checking routine in an emulator? The OP is trying to verify the speed of an actual 1050.

Well surely if the emulator is very compatible it will run just like a real machine...As the emulated drives report 288 on other software I posted I wondered why the basic routine posted was different...

Can't see how that is confusing...Confirming compatibility on an emulator are exactly the sort of tests that must be done.

Yeah I know its a real machine he's using but why would that make a difference if the emulation is right? Altirra is pretty damn accurate, I just ran the code to see what it came up with..Hardly odd?

I believe its called beta testing :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hey Jonathan Whats news? Haven't fixed my Rapidus Yet and still no Side 2 to test the U1m software you sent me, But that is changing, beings I went back to work after a 8 month lay-off.

Congratulations on the employment news. :) I'm still detailing the firmware documentation here and am stuck in the 'is this ready for release?' phase at the moment. :) Haven't heard anything good or bad about the firmware in some time (aside from some very complimentary feedback from tf_hh via email regarding the 1088XEL build), so I assume everything basically works.

I believe its called beta testing :)

So what are your conclusions of your tests?

• Like 1

Software, only thing I can find easily...Needs BASIC and OSB so translator disk if you have XL

And a decent one from Atari, does not say speed but says if it is ok amongst other tings..

And lastly, disk magic which has a speed indicator allowing an adjust in real time..

How do I get a copy of these disks? I don't have the means to interface the drive or the Atari with a modern computer to create one myself. As such, I've tried adjusting the drive blindly, but now it won't read anything and all I get is boot errors. I tried adjusting it counterclockwise to speed it up, only to see my drive eventually slow to a near stop. Then twisted it the other way and the drive sped up but gives me nothing but boot errors. Now it sounds more like an Atari drive, but it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me the value of the potentiometer at optimum? Maybe I can adjust this thing with a multimeter?

How do I get a copy of these disks? I don't have the means to interface the drive or the Atari with a modern computer to create one myself. As such, I've tried adjusting the drive blindly, but now it won't read anything and all I get is boot errors. I tried adjusting it counterclockwise to speed it up, only to see my drive eventually slow to a near stop. Then twisted it the other way and the drive sped up but gives me nothing but boot errors. Now it sounds more like an Atari drive, but it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me the value of the potentiometer at optimum? Maybe I can adjust this thing with a multimeter?

MyAtari on Ebay, B&C computervision is his regular website, has official Atari 1050 diagnostic disk. look him up on Ebay or call him directly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1050-Diagnostic-Disk-CPS-800-XL-XE-1050-Atari-NEW/130888382779?hash=item1e798e393b:g:QxYAAOxyXWdQ4zp8

Or I could send you a real disk

Cool I didn't have 2 of those disks. thanks

MyAtari on Ebay, B&C computervision is his regular website, has official Atari 1050 diagnostic disk. look him up on Ebay or call him directly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1050-Diagnostic-Disk-CPS-800-XL-XE-1050-Atari-NEW/130888382779?hash=item1e798e393b:g:QxYAAOxyXWdQ4zp8

Or I could send you a real disk

If you could, that would be very much appreciated.

How do I get a copy of these disks?

You can have someone snail mail you one, but we would

need to know your general location on the globe for that.

Volunteers in your general region would then contact you

via PM system to get your mailing address.

I don't have the means to interface the drive or the Atari with a modern computer to create one myself.

Wrong thought process, it doesn't work like that. A modern

computer can not make these disks. Save for one Double

Density format that requires a Double Density capable

Atari disk drive, and the stock 1050 isn't that drive.

It will need modifications such as US Doubler or Happy

in order to be useful in using AtariDsk for file transfers

between PC and Atari system using PC written floppies.

https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#ataridsk

You will need to use some kind or form of SIO2PC and

a good working Atari system with good working drive

in order to make stock 1050 capable disks at your place.

And right now you have no good working drive to do

that with as the first and largest obstacle to deal

with. You then also need the SIO2PC device in order

to get the files onto the Atari system.

As such, I've tried adjusting the drive blindly, but now it won't read anything and all I get is boot errors. I tried adjusting it counterclockwise to speed it up, only to see my drive eventually slow to a near stop. Then twisted it the other way and the drive sped up but gives me nothing but boot errors. Now it sounds more like an Atari drive, but it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me the value of the potentiometer at optimum? Maybe I can adjust this thing with a multimeter?

Multimeter method will not work. But the BASIC program

offered by Nukey Shay will since you have BASIC built

in and can enter it manually and run it each time you

need this program until you have a working drive that

can save it to disk.

You will have to boot with DOS in order to save the

BASIC rpm program back to disk as well.

So what did you clean the heads with? Were they dirty?