IGNORED

1050 Won't Format Disks? "ERROR- 173"

So what are your conclusions of your tests?

That I wished I had not bothered :)

I just throw every thing at Altirra , no real rhyme or reason, its just a thing I do..I just found it odd there was a speed difference but at the end of he day as long as the real drive is fine it matters not :)

Seriously, I have no idea why its different, the same software in the thread shows 288....The BASIC, is different..In the grand scheme of things it matters not :)

Its not like i was saying that Nukeys stuff was wrong, it was just a silly question :)

Lets lighten up, already just dealt with a grouch elsewhere...I'm only good for 1 a day :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

The program I posted does NOT require DOS. Your computer will search the drive for DOS if you try to boot normally, tho (leading to nothing but boot errors)...so the trick is to turn the drive on *after* the turning on the computer. You will still need to use a formatted disk for testing the speed, however.

• Like 2

The program I posted does NOT require DOS. Your computer will search the drive for DOS if you try to boot normally, tho (leading to nothing but boot errors)...so the trick is to turn the drive on *after* the turning on the computer. You will still need to use a formatted disk for testing the speed, however.

I have to run to work now, but I wanted to say thank you. I'll be testing your program after I get home. I have two formatted disks with DOS on them, so hopefully, that will work.

I'll give it a shot Nukey, as said it was more a spur of the moment "lets see what this does" thing..

Certainly not a jibe at your coding :)

The reason I mentioned dos is that if you use a fully emulated drive under Altirra its on from the get go so you can't paste the basic in and then run it and turn a drive on, the only way around that I could see was to make a dos dis, save the basic to a file and RUN it from BASIC. If you don't use and a fully emulated drive in ALtirra you can turn the drive off to paste the code in or just load a BAS file directly..

To be honest after typing all that I can see why you asked why I bothered under emulation :)

If that's directed specifically at me, I'm not sure how I can be any more affable without sending flowers.

No...Not about you, Martin in truth, we just had a run in re a mod on Spookts machine...Don't need the grief ;) Kind of hoped we were past all that...

I'll think about the flowers tho... :)

That I wished I had not bothered :)

I just throw every thing at Altirra , no real rhyme or reason, its just a thing I do..I just found it odd there was a speed difference but at the end of he day as long as the real drive is fine it matters not :)

Seriously, I have no idea why its different, the same software in the thread shows 288....The BASIC, is different..In the grand scheme of things it matters not :)

Its not like i was saying that Nukeys stuff was wrong, it was just a silly question :)

Lets lighten up, already just dealt with a grouch elsewhere...I'm only good for 1 a day :)

My guess would be something relying on a tightly times VBI process? Maybe if things are slightly off, a deferred VBI gets skipped? Different version of BASIC or inaccurate timing I could see cause this?

Thank you so much! My drive is back, and I don't think I'm going to mess with it again unless there is a problem. Again, thank you!

My guess would be something relying on a tightly times VBI process? Maybe if things are slightly off, a deferred VBI gets skipped? Different version of BASIC or inaccurate timing I could see cause this?

I bow to your knowledge Stephen, as said, I just saw a difference and asked if people knew why :)

The program just reads sectors and counts the RTC clock ticks elapsed while doing so. The RTC runs in the primary VBI, so I would think the prerequisites are a) the correct number of clock ticks per second (established by the PAL/NTSC setting) and b) accurate sector timing. Perhaps the program's author can correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

Just updated my profile with my general location. Sorry, it took me so long to figure that out.

Also, I cleaned the head with 99% alcohol and a q-tip since it always worked with my Apple //e.

okay cool. California is in the United States, so you know anyone there should be able to help. As they said in The Frisco Kid one of my favorite under-rated movies starring people who were not yet famous (the other being Hollywood Knights):

Avram: Where is San Francisco?

Rabbi sending him there: Near New York.

Of course, later there was this:

Avram: I'm from Poland.

Tommy: Is that near Pittsburgh?
Avram: No, that's near Czechoslovakia.
Anyway, I live in Ohio, which, unfortunately is not near California. I am also away on a trip and will not be back until next week. However, if no one else has been able to help by then, I'd be happy to send you some disks with whatever you need on them. (someone did that for me when I was starting, and I'd love to "pay it forward".
-Todd

If that's directed specifically at me, I'm not sure how I can be any more affable without sending flowers.

I've always wanted to ask, and now seems as good a time as any (especially since I am starting my third beer), can you explain your avatar? It feels just a little intimidating.

Maybe another time, we can talk about the origins of "Flashjazzcat"?

Thanks!

Thank you, always handy...

Maybe you can test in Altirra? :grin:

Sorry, I know you are having a bad day, but I couldn't resist.

FWIW, Phaeron has done such an AWESOME job on Altirra, I would expect it to work the same too.

Cheers!

-Todd

• Like 1

I've always wanted to ask, and now seems as good a time as any (especially since I am starting my third beer), can you explain your avatar? It feels just a little intimidating.

Maybe another time, we can talk about the origins of "Flashjazzcat"?

The avatar is Rik Mayall flicking the vees to camera. He was a comedian and someone I greatly admire.

The name, meanwhile, references Rik's 'Blackadder' character Lord Flasheart, as well as the fact I am a jazz guitar player and a person who likes cats. Doubtless one is familiar with the term 'jazz cat'.

• Like 3

Rik is doing whats known in the UK as "flicking the V's" - an insult really

he was a comic genius who is sorely missed but brought happiness to millions :)

he departed far too soon.

i'd always expected that Rik would be one of a group of comics/stars who'd "live forever". By that I mean (somehow) they'd be around long after I'd departed.

Sad fact of life is many, many of my idols were taken all too soon:

Rik Mayall (56), Kenneth Williams (66), Frankie Howerd (75), David Bowie (69), Glen Frey (68), Jon Lord (71).

Rik was a true comic genius, and the town where I live (Redditch) was used as the setting of one of his early-80s mockumentaries:

Kevin Turvey - The Man Behind The Green Door

even these days (37 yrs later) and after approx 100 viewings, i still see funny stuff i don't remember seeing before. utter brilliance.

hard to find a funnier half-hour anywhere:

Edited by Guest

Lol.....Throw me Blackadder, The young ones or Bottom and I was happy for the night, didn't realise it was the BA characters (although with the Rik avatar its obvious), I just presumed it was because of your love of jazz, hence Jazzcat a known phrase to lovers of jazz, a term from the 60's?

If it makes you laugh it can't be bad for the world..

If the sight of Rik is intimidating, I can only paraphrase the great man himself: 'Don't worry: it's the same for everyone'. :)

...didn't realise it was the BA characters (although with the Rik avatar its obvious), I just presumed it was because of your love of jazz, hence Jazzcat a known phrase to lovers of jazz, a term from the 60's?

Yes: 'jazz cat' refers to the phrase from the Sixties, as I pointed out. The 'Flash' part references Rik's Blackadder character, although it also pertains to my efforts to invest my guitar playing with the level of 'flash' reminiscent of my other hero, George Benson.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2