IGNORED

THE OFFICIAL GAME GENIE THREAD! CODES/HOW TO USE IT/ETC. Any system.

Hey folks!

I don't know if we ever really had an official thread for the GAME GENIE, created by Galoob (1990) for multiple game systems (NES, GENESIS, SUPER NES, GAME BOY, etc.).. but we do now!

This interesting little device I first played on the NES. Weird looking thing; I thought it kind of resembled a thong.

131035.jpg

Then you plugged the NES cartridge in the Game Genie like so:

NESGameGenie2.png

And you plugged the end by the words GAME GENIE into the NES like this:

1776_7_4.jpg

And this screen would pop up when you turned on the NES:

game-genie-pd.png

With the NES Game Genie you could enter 3 codes with one game, up to 8 letters per code. Most codes were either 6 or 8 letters IIRC. On this screen you moved the hand icon around to move between the letters, and press the button to select that letter and add it to the line. Some games required a "Master Code" in order to make any codes work for that game (thus leaving you only two useful codes to input). You were able to substitute letters with certain other ones that would change a value somewhere in the game.

Sometime later I'll find the NES book and put down the rules on code-making on the Game Genie.. or someone else can do that.

Of course, this is just the NES tip of the iceberg.. all the other systems that had a Game Genie device are fair game here, too!

• Like 2

Here's the NES booklet:

nintendo-nes-game-genie-book.jpg

And additional code booklets:

51K05zg%2BPFL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

But I can't find actual scans of the part that tells you how to make your own codes, as of yet. So I'll just go into what I've read on the NES Game Genie subject:

There are 2 groups of letters:

A P Z L G I T Y

E O X U K S V N

Binary representation for each:

A=0000, P=0001, Z=0010, L=0011, G=0100, I=0101, T=0110, Y=0111

E=1000, O=1001, X=1010, U=1011, K=1100, S=1101, V=1110, N=1111

You can change an existing 8-digit code to a 6-digit code by getting rid of the last 2 numbers of the 8-digit code. Like:

GXVAAASA becomes GXVAAA.

You may be able to enhance the code by changing the 3rd letter.

If the third letter is "E", change it to "A".
If the third letter is "K", change it to "G".
If the third letter is "O", change it to "P".
If the third letter is "X", change it to "Z".
If the third letter is "U", change it to "L".
If the third letter is "S", change it to "I".
If the third letter is "V", change it to "T".
If the third letter is "N", change it to "Y".

That's a start, at least. I could go into much greater detail (and I probably will, or someone else is welcome to) but it's more than I want to think about for now.

• Like 1

One of my favorite codes I made for any system was for ART OF FIGHTING for the Genesis. I can't remember the code-- I swear I have it written down somewhere-- but if you managed to throw your opponent, the fight was basically over. A thrown opponent floated in midair and did nothing but sit in their stance. You could go up and pummel them (or their legs, anyway) to your heart's content!

More GG codes I invented:

For DJ Boy on the Genesis, SHFA-MAWA made it so you didn't have to collect dropped coins from enemies-- they would automatically be added to your total! DWMT-JADR gave you an insanely long life bar, and HHFA-MAWY gave you $960 for each coin.

One code I made for Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (great game BTW) that tweaked Mickey's jumping ability, made it so Mickey would defy gravity until you let go of the jump button or hit your head on a ceiling!

HCRA-BAXO for Sonic The Hedgehog gave you an insane amount of rings on a single ring pickup!

I currently have a NES and Genesis Game Genies... I did have an SNES one but I sold it. It completely wiped my save of Super Metroid when all I wanted was to refill my missiles without having to backtrack to one of the refill stations or farm for them, right before the final boss. I did start over months later and beat the game normally...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the main screen for the Genesis Game Genie:

Game_Genie_(Program).png

Here you can fill in FIVE lines of codes.  Each line has 8 characters (You can't change 8 to 6 like the NES).  The tables of characters:

1) A E J N T Y 2 6

2) B F K P V Z 3 7

3) C G L R W 0 4 8

4) D H M S X 1 5 9

You can change slot 8 with anything from table 1 or 3.  Slot 7 can only be changed with another character from its column (2, 3, 4, 5).  Slot 3 can be any character.  Slot 2 can only be changed with another character from its column (E, F, G, H).  Slot 5 can be anything from its row or 2 rows above or below it.  Slot 4 can be changed to a character 4 spaces away in the same row.  You can add 2 or subtract 2 characters in sequence from the last slot.  You can use the last 2 characters in a code and move forward 2 characters for each-- so 99TA-CCGN would become 99TA-CCJR.

I found that code for ART OF FIGHTING: AWRT-AA5W makes it so you don't react when you're hit, and when you go up close and throw the enemy they float in midair and don't attack!  I'll do a video of it someday, and perhaps of other cool Game Genie tricks.

7 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Aaaaah. Good ol' Game Genie. When I needed help that I can't play due to being stuck. It was there to help me Russ. 8^)

Anthony..

I felt it was necessary to have a thread of this awesome cheat device.  Yeah, there were ways to make the game harder with the GG instead of way easier, but who really wanted that?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, BILLYonaire said:

Does anyone have scans of the official codebooks and updates for any or all of the Game Genies? I'm not talking about text, but the actual pages from the books.

I have a few books; I could probably make some scans and post them.

• Like 1

I could probably add some scans for the NES codebook if someone needs it. Also, nice thread! The Game Genie deserves one. My favorite has to be the Gameboy one with the little mini code book with its compartment and the clever tricks it used to get around the Gameboy's security.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...