IGNORED

Is Battlesphere considered part of the official library?

swlovinist

Just wanted to ask the opinions of Jaguar fans on this one. Recently I acquired the original Battlesphere. I wanted to know if people here consider this a professional 3rd party release that is not part of the official releases or if it is considered part of the set. I would like to do a future video want to classify it correctly. Thanks!

Edited by swlovinist

I have a re-production of Gold. It's a reasonably fun game, though I feel it's definitely one of those titles meant to be enjoyed with a friend. Otherwise, there are more exciting games to play by yourself (Alien vs. Predator, Tempest 2000, Ruiner Pinball, Flashback, Attack of the Mutant Penguins, and so on). Would love to link-play this someday, just for the experience.

Just wanted to ask the opinions of Jaguar fans on this one. Recently I acquired the original Battlesphere. I wanted to know if people here consider this a professional 3rd party release that is not part of the official releases or if it is considered part of the set. I would like to do a future video want to classify it correctly. Thanks!

In my opinion, seeing as how it came out well after the system's demise, I wouldn't consider it an "official release" really.

How as ICD Aircars sold?

I believe it was mail order only. It did not come in a box. It was just a box insert shrinkwrapped with a cartridge and manual. It was released in 1997. Despite being a late and limited release, without complete packaging, it was a licensed release so some might consider it a part of a complete collection.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Here's a similar thread where I was asking about the 6 Tekegames titles sold post JTS but pre Hasbro.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245413-post-jts-pre-hasbro-releases/

Towers II

Iron Soldier 2 (CD)

World Tour Racing (CD)

Zero 5

Iron Solder 2 (Cart & CD)

Breakout 2000

Seems most consider them offical, albeit after Atari's main life, bc they were available at EB.

Looks like Air Cars was also released in this limbo time.

• Like 1

Here's a similar thread where I was asking about the 6 Tekegames titles sold post JTS but pre Hasbro.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245413-post-jts-pre-hasbro-releases/

Towers II

Iron Soldier 2 (CD)

World Tour Racing (CD)

Zero 5

Iron Solder 2 (Cart & CD)

Breakout 2000

Seems most consider them offical, albeit after Atari's main life, bc they were available at EB.

Looks like Air Cars was also released in this limbo time.

Those Telegames releases were available at EB? I haven't seen or heard that before, I mean, if so that changes perspective on Battlesphere and ICD Aircars.

Those Telegames releases were available at EB? I haven't seen or heard that before, I mean, if so that changes perspective on Battlesphere and ICD Aircars.

Per Austin & the Telegames image posted within that thread by madman, looks like it. Brick & mortar available.

Believe ICD AC was mail only?

How was BS ordered, online only & mail in? 2000 is that weird timeframe where online purchases hadn't gone mainstream but nerds like us used it.

• Like 2

Per Austin & the Telegames image posted within that thread by madman, looks like it. Brick & mortar available.

Believe ICD AC was mail only?

How was BS ordered, online only & mail in? 2000 is that weird timeframe where online purchases hadn't gone mainstream but nerds like us used it.

Sold via email / mailing list. I might still have my confirmation emails. Should check.

I unfortunately can't find my email for original BS. Here's the original email for BS:Gold from 4/2/2002 (with some names/addresses removed):

Dear BattleSphere Gold Customer:

Good News! Your name has come up on the reservations list to receive your copy of BattleSphere Gold! To complete the transaction you must read the following carefully, and complete the required steps. Failing to do so will delay processing of your order. Please read all steps before acting on them. This is very important.

Step 1: Take $159.95 (the cost of One BattleSphere Gold Cartridge with JUGS and DEMO CD included)

Step 2: a) If you live inside the U.S. Add $4.00 for shipping

b) If you live inside Canada, add $6.00 for shipping

c) If you live in any other country, add $10.00 for shipping

d) If you live on another planet, contact us directly.

Step 3: If you are paying with PayPal and choose to pay with a Credit Card, please Add $4.50.

If you pay with a PayPal direct cash transfer, there is no charge.

All PayPal users send to this email address (thunderbird).

Step 4: If you are paying with a Money Order or Cashier's Check then address the funds to:

Douglas Engel

Then Mail it to:

Douglas Engel

P.O. Box

USA

Step 5: Please include with your payment your shipping address!!! (Paypal users indicate if the address provided by PayPal is correct, and add a different address to your message.)

Step 6: Please send confirmation when you have sent your payment to this email address (thunderbird). (Paypal sends notice of this type automatically)

Step 7: Wait for your BattleSphere Gold to arrive!!!!

Thanks for your Patience!!!

- The ScatoLOGIC Team

Definitely sold from a mailing list in 2000. I had one of the first run.

Same here, but wasn't that "mailing list" through r.g.v.a or r.g.v.c? Thought we declared interest or were made aware of how to order the game directly through 4Play there.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, Battlesphere was released after Atari gave up on Jaguar and was not sold through regular channels, thus making it "homebrew".

Aircars, while barely making it before Atari gave up on Jaguar, is debateable since it really never was sold through regular channels.

However, wikipedias list of official jaguar releases is correct imho. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_Jaguar_games)

With that said, Battlesphere is certainly a decent game, and is certainly better than the "homebrew" label might imply. If it had been available at a reasonable price ($70-$80), I'd say it is worth buying. However, the current ebay prices, even the spanish replicas, is blatantly overrating the game...

Thanks for confirming guys. Awesome you had the Email Stephen.

Same here, but wasn't that "mailing list" through r.g.v.a or r.g.v.c? Thought we declared interest or were made aware of how to order the game directly through 4Play there.

This was my next question. How were buyers made aware of the Email and mailing list?

This is still hitting later BBS days, but believe AA had been around as a site for a bit. Not sure about forum.

With a $160 price tag, the timeframe, and having to be in the know to order via email or snail mail... I'm also leaning towards not official set.

Edited by Jagosaurus
  • Like 1