IGNORED

How much should I expect to spend in order to buy a complete Jaguar?

Biff Burgertime

A friend of mine owns a gaming lounge and he's a really inspirational guy. The lounge started as a tiny, cramped, rented room a few years ago. Since then it evolved into larger rooms, and now it's in a giant building. He has networked computers and consoles for all the fancy new shit the kids play, arcade machines (including CoJag's Area 51), and some retro consoles. He does good stuff for the community like offering free gaming to kids that do well in school, stuff like that.

Whenever I go somewhere that has various retro consoles set up for freeplay (like PAX), I'm always disappointed that they only have the most popular consoles available. Fuck that, I have enough gamer friends so I can play NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation, etc at their houses if I wanted to. I want to play consoles that I never have before, consoles that would be a poor financial decision to buy myself... and there's no console that I want to play more than the Atari Jaguar.

I'm thinking of crowdfunding the purchase of a Jaguar for this gaming lounge. I'd like to buy the console with all necessary wires, 2 controllers, and a decent assortment of games: the main essentials, and some multiplayer games. I'm aware that certain games go for ridiculous prices, let's leave those out.

Two questions:

• How much should I expect to spend in order to buy what I described above?

• What kind of video output did the Jaguar mainly ship with, RF or AV? If RF, what do I need in order to get better video output? A CatBox/ScatBox/etc? Last I heard those were rare, what are my cheaper options?

-

Less important bonus question:

• I'm putting together a project of playing drums over a medley of retro game songs. The finished product will be roughly 2 hours long with a short break, and the first place I'll perform it will be at this gaming lounge. Are there any songs from Jaguar games that you'd recommend I check out to see if they're worth including? Songs that might be good to play drums over. If you aren't a drummer, up tempo stuff usually works best.

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime

Tempest 2000 has great music, there’s even a CD of it. Not sure about the drums, though.

Video output is S-Video or RGB via a dedicated cable or RF built-in. AFAIK Best Electronics carries the cables (as well as reasonably priced controllers). You don‘t need an extra box for either.

As for the games, an SD multicart is close to being ready to order.

Tempest 2000 is a must and can be made even better with rotary controllers (usually offered in this forum).

Alien vs. Predator is considered a highlight of the system, too, but might be harder to pick up for casual gamers wanting to get to know the system.

I like Rayman (who IIRC was launched on the Jaguar) and Championship Rally. Cybermorph was the pack-in. Super Burnout is a nice two-player splitscreen racer but not that spectacular graphically.

There‘s a new Asteroids-type game called Rebooteroids that‘s reportedly cool and many ports from the Atari ST (available in the AtariAge store).

Can‘t help you with the going rate, check EBay history and keep in mind that Jags don‘t run without a cart in the slot.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Less important bonus question:

• I'm putting together a project of playing drums over a medley of retro game songs. The finished product will be roughly 2 hours long with a short break, and the first place I'll perform it will be at this gaming lounge. Are there any songs from Jaguar games that you'd recommend I check out to see if they're worth including? Songs that might be good to play drums over. If you aren't a drummer, up tempo stuff usually works best.

Two games I would consider with wild / great music. Defender 2000 and Tempest 2000.

As for the value... the value of even the most basic Jaguar has gone wildly higher than I'd imagine. It seems totally absurd. It's nearly three times what it was last time I checked, so I can't really offer any advice. $300 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things... but still... you could get them all day long for $50 just a couple of years ago... now they're outrageous.

Are there any songs from Jaguar games that you'd recommend I check out to see if they're worth including? Songs that might be good to play drums over.

As said above, Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 have great music, and it's well-suited to drums.

Rayman has nice music too, but maybe not as drum-friendly:

There's also the theme song from Cannon Fodder:

• Like 2

I paid about 150 about a year ago on AtariAge marketplace. Like always it depends whether you need it right now or have time to bid on several auctions.

A console with 2 controllers, hookups and cybermorph has gone up a little since then to around $225 to $250. I've seen some go as high as the low $300 range unfortunately. I'd never pay $300 for such a setup myself but it seems there is enough people that will from what I've observed.

Here is a link to completed ebay auctions as of late:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/139971/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=atari+jaguar&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

A console with 2 controllers, hookups and cybermorph has gone up a little since then to around $225 to $250. I've seen some go as high as the low $300 range unfortunately. I'd never pay $300 for such a setup myself but it seems there is enough people that will from what I've observed.

Here is a link to completed ebay auctions as of late:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/139971/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=atari+jaguar&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Just like I said: if you waited you could get a machine for less than 100$ and you can get cables, controllers and PSU from Best at reasonable prices. (controllers from 17$, PSU 15$, 10$ for an RF switch box and 24/35 for RGB/Composite cables).

You can occasionally find local deals on your Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for $100 or less for a complete console with connections. But for people who know what they have, expect to see prices of $200+ for loose or over $300 with a box. Even my local shops have been jacking up the prices on their consoles to $250 loose and $400 boxed.

The person above me that posted mentioned $100 or less for the console and then the individual parts are fairly cheap from there. I would stay away from any RF boxes, you can get custom made svideo/AV cables for $15-25 shipped and controllers can be $15-20 or so each. The power bricks are like $8-10 as well, and I want to say there are other plugs that are universal and will work with the Jag if you can;t find an original one,just can;t remember what other systems they are from (genesis model 1 or 2 maybe???)

I did not mean to recommend the RF box, just included it for completeness. The stuff from Best is usually NOS, so for 17 bucks you get an unused controller and for 15 bucks a "new" power brick. I do second buying the cables elsewhere, the original RGB cable is SCART, so probably not very useful in the US. Composite is cheaper but if the display device supports RGB that's the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Price will heavily depend on the console's actual condition (reseller wise), same with most titles. AVP for example, definitely ranges if it's a loose standalone cart, boxed, new etc. The Jaguar CD being most expensive and elusive. Generally prices on all retro video games will only increase as time goes on. 

Edited by Bubsy

I just paid $335 shipped (value-wise, as it was a trade where I gave a light sixer console and some 2600/7800 games and manuals) here on the Forums for a CIB Jaguar with all inserts, official composite connector, an extra controller and Tempest 2000 CIB. eBay prices are wild these days. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, LianneJaguar64 said:

I remember seeing Jaguars in box for £100 when I was looking for mine 5 or 6 years ago, now you can barely get an unboxed console for that :(

Yeah it's pretty wild! A Jaguar bundle sold today on eBay for $255 USD + shipping and included the console, power supply, RF switchbox, two controllers, Cybermorph cart + overlay and one overlay for Alien vs. Predator. Oh, and one of the controllers had a busted plug (piece of broken plastic). That's crazy.