IGNORED

Robot Zed PLAYABLE DEMO

Sprybug

Awesome smooth scroller with great music! :)

I like the Weapon the character has - very different than Mr Do or Berzerk.

I prefer interesting genre ports like this one and Gemintronic's Pacman that build on the classics with new concepts over exact clones.

Yeah, this one isn't an exact clone of any game actually. It take elements from other games like Kirby and Mega Man for sure, but add a rogue like element to it all and you get Robot Zed. :)

• Like 3

We'll be featuring Robot Zed LIVE on today's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Gorilla Force (2019 WIP) by ZackAttack and Jason D aka MayDay
- Wushu Masters (2019 WIP) by ZackAttack and Jason D aka MayDay
- Robot Zed (2019 WIP) by Chris Spry aka Sprybug
- Deepstone Catacomb (2019 WIP) by Mick Crocker aka mickmuse

1416597986_20190619-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.6d24efc480c21d6a21aa3a2f121dbad2.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  Just giving an update!  I figured out how to do Nibbles!  So, this is going to allow me to add some better play control by adding momentum moving left and right, so the controls aren't so touchy!  I need to start implementing nibbles because I am out of RAM, so I am going to split up what I can.  I have several variables that never go over 16, so I'm wasting valuable bits!  Not sure how much I'm going to be able to work on it the next month and a half because I got a big announcement.  I got a great new animation job at a studio in QUEBEC, CANADA.  I AM MOVING.  So I've been very busy working on my move, learning French, and working with them remotely in the meantime.  I plan on moving there next month.  I am so excited....and nervous!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sprybug said:

I got a great new animation job at a studio in QUEBEC, CANADA.  I AM MOVING.  So I've been very busy working on my move, learning French, and working with them remotely in the meantime.  I plan on moving there next month.  I am so excited....and nervous!

Congrats, dude! :) I take it you're on the other side of the border, since you mentioned Canada explicitly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

Congrats, dude! :) I take it you're on the other side of the border, since you mentioned Canada explicitly?

Actually, native Washingtonian and resident of Oregon for the last 11 years.  I lived in Vancouver, BC for a year when I went to VanArts.  Got my passport submitted and expedited, now just waiting for it to come in, and once that comes in send the ID to the studio so they can send me another ID to use with a Canadian government site to login with to get my work permit processed.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

Congrats on your new job, and good luck on your upcoming move!

As far as variables go, have you made use of the unnamed variable at $F5?  I discovered it while writing out a memory map for the DPC+ kernel.

You know, I completely forgot about the "extra variables" when you don't use certain features in Batari.  I took advantage of those in Zippy.  I'll see if I can find any spares that I can use to act as my level progress pointer to stop people from farming power ups by continuously spawning the same enemy over and over!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

Congratulations on the new job, sounds very exciting!  Does this mean you won't be able to attend this year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo?

..Al

Thanks.  I know you were debating it this year yourself.  Yeah, there is no way I'm going to be able to attend, I'll still be settling in to my new surroundings!  Gonna miss PRGE for sure though.  I attended it every year since 2012.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sprybug said:

Yeah, there is no way I'm going to be able to attend, I'll still be settling in to my new surroundings!  Gonna miss PRGE for sure though.  I attended it every year since 2012.

Congrats on the new job!  Sorry to hear that you won't be able to attend, but more important to keep first things, first. 

?Wow? every year since 2012...I'm jealous.  Love the game, can't wait to see/play the next release of the demo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprybug said:

Actually, native Washingtonian and resident of Oregon for the last 11 years.  I lived in Vancouver, BC for a year when I went to VanArts. 

Ah, so we don't have to send over the welcome basket with maple syrup, a toque, and an american to canadian dictionary. :P

Cool news, man. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Sprybug said:

Thanks.  I know you were debating it this year yourself.  Yeah, there is no way I'm going to be able to attend, I'll still be settling in to my new surroundings!  Gonna miss PRGE for sure though.  I attended it every year since 2012.

Yeah, lots of cool games coming out and several other homebrew authors will be in attendance, so I decided to go again this year.  The AtariAge booth will be slightly smaller (21' x 24' instead of 30' x 30'), but I'll still have well over 20 systems setup to demo new and upcoming games, and will have several new homebrews available for purchase at the show.  I'm going to try and get as much done as I can well ahead of the show (including printing, which is often one of the last things to get done, and a point of stress for me), as well as looking at alternate means of getting hardware to the show so I don't have to drive a cargo van 2,100 miles in each direction.

Sorry you won't be able to make it, but that's completely understandable given your circumstances.  And obviously you need to put all of that ahead of attending PRGE. Will be nice to have a new demo of Robot Zed available for people to play at the show, though!

..Al

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RevEng said:

Ah, so we don't have to send over the welcome basket with maple syrup, a toque, and an american to canadian dictionary. :P

Cool news, man. :thumbsup:

lol, no but I need to learn French, because it's the French-Canadian part of Canada, oui.

And don't forget poutine.  It's big in Quebec.  Will have an ample supply of that!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, lots of cool games coming out and several other homebrew authors will be in attendance, so I decided to go again this year.  The AtariAge booth will be slightly smaller (21' x 24' instead of 30' x 30'), but I'll still have well over 20 systems setup to demo new and upcoming games, and will have several new homebrews available for purchase at the show.  I'm going to try and get as much done as I can well ahead of the show (including printing, which is often one of the last things to get done, and a point of stress for me), as well as looking at alternate means of getting hardware to the show so I don't have to drive a cargo van 2,100 miles in each direction.

Sorry you won't be able to make it, but that's completely understandable given your circumstances.  And obviously you need to put all of that ahead of attending PRGE. Will be nice to have a new demo of Robot Zed available for people to play at the show, though!

..Al

I'm glad you are streamlining it, because for you and your wife, it was just a ridiculous amount of work.  Glad we could help break down your booth though at the end.  Yeah, I wish I could be there and I wish Zed would be done in time.  You will have a new demo for sure because as you've seen, the latest demo is out and it has a boss battle.  By PRGE point, I would like to have the updates to the engine for better controls, fine tuning, non-farming, and perhaps a better system of powering up using sprites instead of missiles.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sprybug said:

lol, no but I need to learn French, because it's the French-Canadian part of Canada, oui.

And don't forget poutine.  It's big in Quebec.  Will have an ample supply of that!

LOL, are they requiring you to learn French?  This would not surprise me in the least!

1 minute ago, Albert said:

LOL, are they requiring you to learn French?  This would not surprise me in the least!

Not a requirement, but preferred because that's the primary language, and I'd like to be able to speak their primary language living there. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sprybug said:

You will have a new demo for sure because as you've seen, the latest demo is out and it has a boss battle.  By PRGE point, I would like to have the updates to the engine for better controls, fine tuning, non-farming, and perhaps a better system of powering up using sprites instead of missiles.

Can't wait to see this!  :D

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:40 AM, Sprybug said:

Thanks guys.  Just giving an update!  I figured out how to do Nibbles!  So, this is going to allow me to add some better play control by adding momentum moving left and right, so the controls aren't so touchy!  I need to start implementing nibbles because I am out of RAM, so I am going to split up what I can.  I have several variables that never go over 16, so I'm wasting valuable bits!  Not sure how much I'm going to be able to work on it the next month and a half because I got a big announcement.  I got a great new animation job at a studio in QUEBEC, CANADA.  I AM MOVING.  So I've been very busy working on my move, learning French, and working with them remotely in the meantime.  I plan on moving there next month.  I am so excited....and nervous!

That's nice to hear you are coming up to Canada! I almost took a job in Montreal myself - great city. 

I was hoping to bump into you at PRGE but maybe next year!

Good luck at the new job. Your latest game looks super.

- David

Edited by djmips
  • Like 2