IGNORED

E3 2019: Xbox "Scarlett" Next-Gen Console Reveal Teased By Microsoft

So, so far the key aspects/selling points for the Next Generation platforms from Sony and MS are:

Backwards Compatibility

AMD Processors

8K support.

SSD for faster loading times.

Ray Tracing.

So it's going to be another generate of pointless arguments over which is more powerful (answer the PC ) and it will come down to which has the best exclusives to suit your tastes.

This was a generation where i had no interest in MS yet the previous generation saw me with a PS3 and 360, before that the classic Xbox was so much more to my tastes than the PS2.

PS4 VR did not tempt me.

Nor did the Pro or Scorpio.

I hated Uncharted 4 with a passion.

Sony own Demons Souls and Bloodborne was a Playstation exclusive.

But at this point very content to wait this round out...so far nothing from either camp to get me excited.

Got bored with GTA 5 on PS4 before completion so annoucement of a next gen only GTA 6 did nothing for me either.

• Like 1

You and I both agree on most if not all those points, but I never liked their consoles so I've used but never paid for one. Uncharted 4 was crap compared to the previous releases, and little Sony put out for PS4 didn't also hit the PC I wanted so it was a useless system I only held onto as long as I did for blu-ray and streaming, and I found a nicer samsung player to leave me free to (which I did) sell it. My 4 1/2 year old computer out does the current dying off generation so it should still handle the next with some level of mediocrity even if I wanted to play some of it. I'm passive but a fan on Switch, has games uniquely I like, or at least for portability sake, but I use it in spurts of a few days here and there, then a week to as long as a month off and that's that. This generation has blown ass compared to the PS3 era as far as interesting stuff goes and this is a wash rinse repeat of sorts by looks of things. Continuing with more style over substance.

Is it just me or did it also come off like they're trying to ape Nintendo some? Focusing on a game playing game box? Backwards compatibility on a handheld style level. A Nintendo controller level of magic fairydust long battery life (40 hours.) Good for them if that holds true at least.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing "has a disc drive" unless I missed it.

Also, it stated there will be "tiers". Scarlet is just the project name. They are releasing 2 models at 2 different price points according to the bottom of the article just like with the X and S. After getting a One S and dealing with Microsoft's lies about the hardware and anti-consumer policies, I can't support another xbox. The games have been bad and the next Halo doesn't look any better. Gears 5 looks just as bad as 4 was. They haven't learned anything and are repeating the same path as the One. Why take the one character that was the worst, most annoying part of that game and give her a game about "finding herself". I'd trade mine in, but I'm using it as a media player to save the PS4.

I will be buying a PS5. PSVR is fun. There are plenty of games and as long as Sony stays consumer friendly I'm ok.

• Like 1

The thing that baffles me is that both Sony and Microsoft are touting 8K graphics at 120 frames per second on their new consoles coming out next year, but where are the televisions to support those kind of stats? There's not many TVs on the market that can handle 8K at 120 fps, and the ones that can cost $1,500+. So are Sony and Microsoft both counting on their entire player base running out and spending $2,000 or more on a new system and a new TV to play it on? I don't think the majority of gamers have that kinda money to burn.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Xbox hardware can be funny at times. Most Xbone games a launch couldn't even run in full 1080p while that was something many PS3 games could do! Though to be fair both systems used the same media, Blu Ray... meaning that the Xbone games while having access to better hardware only had the same amount of space to work with as the PS3. Similar to the original Xbox compared to the 360... the hardware improved at a faster rate than the storage medium.

• Like 1

Loved being a classic Xbox owner.

Titles like Ninja Gaiden Black, OTOGI, Chronicles Of Riddick, Doom 3, Far Cry, Mech Assault, Halo and Half Life II were exactly what i wanted.

Bought the 360 initally for Mass Effect and a few other exclusives but despite completing all 3 Gears games, never that huge a fan.

Reach i found the far better Halo game than Halo 4, Alan Wake was simply fantastic.

But this generation it was Guerilla of all people who surprised me, after the mediocre launch PS4 Killzone title, they really pulled it out the bag with Horizon Zero Dawn..The Zoids game i had wanted since a kid effectively.

If Sony can get it's teams putting their talents towards starting new I.P's (both PS4 Infamous games were weaker than those on the PS3 i found and never been a Last Of Us fan, completed it but...yeah) they could reignite my interest yet.

I'd like to see Julian Gollop of original Xcom fame, bring his new title to console as well.

Xbox hardware can be funny at times. Most Xbone games a launch couldn't even run in full 1080p while that was something many PS3 games could do! Though to be fair both systems used the same media, Blu Ray... meaning that the Xbone games while having access to better hardware only had the same amount of space to work with as the PS3. Similar to the original Xbox compared to the 360... the hardware improved at a faster rate than the storage medium.

That did not make them a more enjoyable experience though...Lair was an early 1080P PS3 title and try as i might, i found the experience simply awful.

Super Stardust by comparison was a years old concept, just dressed up in rather lovely graphics and played like a dream.

After this generations 900P Vs 1080P nonsense, we could do with out another marketing war based on resolution gate between MS and Sony.

I suspect though this round MS will be viewing Goggle not Sony as the real threat and Sony working closer with MS as it has not the resources and in fast ructions in place to take Goggle head on in the manner MS has and that of course assumes the technology Goggle is promising customers for it's streaming based console works as promised.

Just how many ISP providers are there in the USA alone?

If this is fully backwards compatible with retail discs for the original Xbox, count me in.

Media speculation is that it will be full emulation, avoiding the annoying legal hassles and added work necessary to bring original Xbox and Xbox 360 content to the Xbox One. Microsoft though was a bit vague so nobody should hold their breath about it.

I could easily see it just being full Xbox One backwards compatibility, with the Xbox One's limited (But very well done) selection of 360 titles and the small original Xbox lineup being how they plan to get away with describing that it has support for four generations of Xbox software.

Edited by Atariboy

8k......lol. Maybe non checkerboard 4k. Lets start there first.

Yep...

With every new generation of hardware that gets a reveal..out come the soap on a rope technical claims.

Harking back to Atari and the infamous 850 million pixels a second animation speed claims on Jaguar at this rate .

So it's going to be another generate of pointless arguments over which is more powerful (answer the PC ) and it will come down to which has the best exclusives to suit your tastes.

Yes, but how do you think console makers *get* those exclusives a lot of the time?

The argument over power isn't pointless, and answering "the PC" is a non-sequitur - it's like two people debating whether a Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Xterra has better off-road capabilities and someone inserting themselves into the conversation with "nevermind, I'd take a Ferrari over either one!" Ummm, who cares? That's missing the point of the debate completely. I'm a PC guy myself, but this is one way PC guys make a bad name for themselves on the internet.

Game developers have a long history of developing for the most powerful console first and then porting to the others if they feel it's worth it. And buyers have a long history of buying consoles they *perceive* to be the best value, of which power is a part. Not the only part, but it certainly had a hand in the PS4's trouncing of the Xbox One in this generation, with the PS4 being both more powerful and lower priced at launch. And that further encourages developers to develop for the more powerful console.

If you're not going to compete on power - e.g. Nintendo - then you had better be doing something significantly different, and have your own stable of first party games that will reliably sell systems. Neither Sony nor MS really have that stable of games; both of them have to rely on outside developers.

It does sound this time like both the Xbox and PS5 will have similar specs, but we don't really know enough about them yet. Last time around it was the same deal; it only became apparent when people saw the actual model numbers of the components in each system that the PS4 was significantly more powerful. And that happened pretty close to launch. Of course developers would have known about that long before, which also helped give the PS4 its head start.

• Like 2

On Inside Xbox, this Microsoft bigwig says backwards compatibility will even encompass accessories on the next-gen Xbox platform.

Would be nice to see artificial obsolescence lifted for expensive accessories like arcade sticks and steering wheels.

Edited by Atariboy

On Inside Xbox, this Microsoft bigwig says backwards compatibility will even encompass accessories on the next-gen Xbox platform.

Would be nice to see artificial obsolescence lifted for expensive accessories like arcade sticks and steering wheels.

I'll believe it when it supports my XB360 rock band stuff.

@Spacecadet:How do i think console developers get those exclusives?

By paying for them is the simple answer.

Even if it's limited time exclusivity on something like DLC, it's a tactic that is commonly used these days.

The most powerful hardware gets developers coming to you argument does not always work out.

Sure, you'll often hear people slagging a platform saying how difficult it is to code for or how underpowered it is, compared to what they were expecting and now they are moving onto a newer platform as that offers so much more..

Console wise alone i could go back to the Jaguar era with ATD saying contractual obligations meant they were late starting Playstation and Saturn development, Imagitec Design saying they were moving Freelancer 2120 from Jaguar CD to the much more capable Playstation..but there were also examples like Hideo Kojima saying how dissapointed he was with power of Playstation 2..yet he stuck with it, rather than moving to Xbox or Game Cube as Konami knew the Playstation II would have the massive installed user base.

Jez San after praising the Dreamcast hardware, throwing a hissy fit over Red Dog, abandoning it...

Oddworld developer slagging off Playstation 2 and moving to Xbox..

Jeremy Heath Smith of Core Design saying a lot of his teams found the Sega Saturn to be more powerful than the Playstation, yet Core cancelled Saturn development in favour of Playstation as again that had the user base the Saturn did not.

It's no good developing the best looking game on console, if you have a limited user base on it.

As for console owners arguing which is the most powerful system. ..

Given that consoles these days are lower end PC hardware (The PS3 killed the days of exotic, custom made chip sets in consoles), it really is a pointless debate as due to the differences in formats, the PC market is always going to out gun the console market.

MS killed off the original Classic Xbox as it was by their own admission too expensive to produce.

A PC owner can upgrade their system with newer Graphics cards, more RAM, faster CPU etc, console owners are limited to now waiting for upgraded models like the PS4 Pro.

If you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming, you go the PC route, but take the extra cost and loose some of the simplicity that comes with a console.

I heard that too and do hope it's true. One of my biggest pet peeves with the Xbone was it not supporting 360 accessories at all--not even the USB ones.

Makes me wonder if they will simply be sticking with the Xbone controller design for the next system instead of evolving to a redesign like they have in the past.

• Like 3

Fanatec made an announcement that their Xbox One wheels will work with the Nextbox so I assume this means it's for Xbox One peripherals only. Good news for people that spent $500-$2000 on a wheel and pedals set from them.

I'm betting that backwards compatibility, for both games and peripherals, will be anything that works right now with the XB1. No where has it been stated that BC is going to be complete with everything MS has ever made.

That would be a viable proposition.

Look after your existing user base and make Scarrlet an attractive upgrade proposition.

Not sure how much brand loyalty still exists in today's marketplace where the user pays in effect for a service and the box under the TV is merely the delivery device, but it would be a pretty safe bet, no? That a good few Xbox 360 owners went for Playstation 4 this time around..

I've seen comments from staunch Halo fans, dissapointed by Halo 5, that Halo 6 is already tempting them back into the M.S fold after getting out and moving to Sony this time around.

I've seen comments from staunch Halo fans, dissapointed by Halo 5, that Halo 6 is already tempting them back into the M.S fold after getting out and moving to Sony this time around.

I was one. I doubt it's enough. Halo Infinite does not look appealing. They keep doing the same song and dance with every new Halo and they get progressively worse. Unless they get get rid of the new story with Cortana being evil/esports focused multiplayer...same with Gears of War. They need to get rid of the Kait story line and JD. They killed off Anya who was one of the better(if not best) female characters. Kait is just annoying. I have no plans on buying an Anaconda.

Even with backwards compatibility....I have to have the desire to keep my former library. Other than Ori/Halo Wars 2 there really aren't any games I'd miss or just keep the One S for. My 360 library is massive compared to the One's and I'd rather play that on it.

This is just me though. I'm just been burned by Microsoft too many times now to believe anything they say.

There is still a chance developers will stay with Sony if the customer base moves to the 5. Backwards compatibility will mean all those exclusives carry over making the PS5's library massive to start with. Xbox is in the same boat it's in now. Better hardware with a small library of inferior games. The only way I see Xbox making it is by leveraging all their studios and coming out of the gate HARD with better exclusives and more of them. But, like the One, they've already made a bad decision with this dual release nonsense.

Again though, take it with a grain of salt as I'm a burned former xbox user.

• Like 1

I have an Xbox 360 controller adapter for Xbone. The Xbone pad is fine except the D pad always breaks if you use it to play games. I'm on my third pad, and now I exclusively use the 360 pad for D pad games.

Yes, it's confirmed Scarlett has a disc drive. Matt Booty said so in his Eurogamer interview.

The back compatibility only supports the games currently compatible with the Xbone, not the full library.

Edited by DJ Clae

I retired from Halo after finishing 4 on the 360, which i found a rather sterile experience.

343 to be commended for what they got from the hardware, but game itself left me cold.

I would honestly have no idea where the series is, story wise as during my time with Halo i had been buying the books, animated shows, graphic novels etc, but Halo Wars had humanity encountering the Flood prior to events on Halo or alongside Halo and are those events even cannon?

No idea what happened in Halo Wars II..

All i know on Halo 5 was humanity seemed to bounce back from near extinction pretty damn quick with that huge spaceship infinity and the game was focused on spartan teams that came after Master Chief and the old woman responsible for most of the Spartan programme was now rogue and ...

Pffff. .yeah.

The Halo 6 trailer explained little..just another case of Master Chief adrift (Halo 4 started as such did it not), suit systems shut down (Halo 3 opening?) And recovered and power restored just in time to fight...

Halo has outlived it's Sony counterparts. .Resistance:Fall Of Man retired on PS3 and spin off on Vita and Killzone..Guerilla thankfully having moved onto Horizon Zero Dawn

Never got into Forza on Classic Xbox (and grew tired of Gran T.on the original Playstation), i grew wise to the Fable bull#hit by end of Fable II, Crackdown..again 2 titles were enough for myself.

A friend of mine who messaged me raving about Halo 6 a few days ago, seemed quite taken aback when i mentioned it was coming to Xbox 1 as well, as he had been labouring under the impression it was built from ground up for the new hardware.

Gears i found peaked with II..loved the experience, completed 3 as it was free with Gold, but it felt like treading water..hated new look for 4, not sure where series can go as they never developed space travel did they? and the major population centers wiped out during various wars etc.

Who exactly is left for either MS or Sony to pump out exclusives in big numbers?

Rare are a shadow of their former selves, MS killed ensemble..

Sony closed studio behind Club Drive and Motorstorm. .

Bungie are now Multi Platform and whilst i bought Destiny and stuck with it for a while, zero interest in the sequel.

Bizzare Creations sadly long gone.

The teams from the classic Xbox era sadly seem no more