IGNORED

Vectrex lightpen with buttons

rastislav

Hi guys!

Let me share with you my latest build!

It is, what I believe is a first lightpen with buttons for Vectrex which realy looks like pen! I know that some guy has made one few years ago, but it was made I think with 3D printed case with a bit weird design in my opinion with all the respect to the maker.

Short story behind this is, that I've bought my first Vectrex about year ago and I thought that I could try to make a lightpen for it, which I have by using the known guide from Playvectrex.

When finished I found the usage by drawing with one hand and controlling by other a bit clumsy but I said to myself - OK, it is like it is, anyway I am not an artist and didn't wanted to use it much.

But than few weeks later, new video from Vectrex Roli came out, in which he was talking about Vectrex controllers and said that "there is no lightpen with buttons, but maybe somebody will make one someday", which turned a light in my head and I thought that maybe I could be that "someone". :-)

The rest is a history - I made a prototype which worked well, so I made a first s.n.001 which is already in possession of Vectrex Roli since I think he deserves it as an author of an idea.

On these pictures is the second one I've made. So feel free to comment and ask any questions. :-)

Thank you,

Rastislav

post-62149-0-62811900-1560111318_thumb.jpg

post-62149-0-21510900-1560111362_thumb.jpg

post-62149-0-98062600-1560111382_thumb.jpg

post-62149-0-45509600-1560111412_thumb.jpg

post-62149-0-49226800-1560111444_thumb.jpg

post-62149-0-29508000-1560111480_thumb.jpg

Edited by rastislav
  • Like 7

Would be interested in one :)

Just to note, one of the original lightpen prototypes from 1983 (which I own) was a combined unit with the buttons on, so it's only fitting that eventually the idea is realised...!

Interesting, can you please attach a picture of this prototype?

Hi guys!

Would realy like to make happy all of you, but I am quite bussy and I am software developer not hardware builder so to build these things manually takes much more time for me than to skilled builders.

However I would like to build at least about 10 peaces, but can't promiss any dates, will see how things will go during summer holiday, maybe Ill find a time to make a few.

I will put this one pictured here on ebay auction to give all equal chance to get it, will let you know when it'll be listed.

The most annoying thing on building lightpens is moddifying the joystick connectors to fit Vectrex - its hard to make the cut so that it looks same every time and it does not look very well.

I have got an idea to build a "Vectrex joystick cutter" either as some kind of pliers with which you could cut connector in single move, or as some kind of mold in which you would stick the connector and make cuts with knife or drill along the edges or gaps/slots. If I had such a tool I could make pens faster, so here is my offer: if somebody makes the VeciJoyCutter I will trade the lightpen for it! ;-)

Hi guys!

Pen is now listed on Ebay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163736348999

Took me a bit longer to list it, but Vectrexroli has been very kind to warn me about a drawback of the lightpen, that blocking both ports might be a problem for users using multicarts with software menus so I have built and included in the offer also the Y joystick splitter so joystick can be connected in parallel with the pen.

In future builds I will probably rather integrate the connector for joystick into the larger box (instead little box on the cables splitting point) so the there is less mess with the cables.

So wish you the happy bidding!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

I have used summer holidays to design 2 modifications of the "RZ Pen" (the lightpen with buttons) for users which would like to use lightpen together with multicart requiring direction control for menu navigation: 

1. The "RZ Pen-B" - with integrated direction buttons.

2. The "RZ Pen-C" - with integrated connector in which you can plug your existing controller to navigate through the menu.

See the 5th picture with side-by-side comparison of all 3 versions.

What do you think about it? Positive of the C version is that you can leave plugged the pen and the controller all the time weather you use the pen or not. Where do you think is better to put the connector? I have put it on the left side, but can be put on the right as well... 

The B version can even be used as a controller for playing games by some masochists :-D

I have also attached a picture of prepared pen shell for left-handed users, so you can see the Vectrex logo while holding it in left hand. ?

IMG_20190901_201458285.jpg

IMG_20190901_202252431.jpg

IMG_20190901_201613704.jpg

IMG_20190901_201227057.jpg

IMG_20190901_201949590.jpg

IMG_20190901_202458392.jpg

• Like 4

Hi guys, I have made a list of you interested in buying a lightpen and I will start making and shipping them to those still interested, just pls tell me again which version of the lightpen would you like (and if you like the version with the connector, on which side you prefer to have it) and if you like righ or left handed (difference is only on which side of the buttons is the Vectrex logo). The prices are: 100$ for A version, 125$ for C version and 150$ for B version. Shipping worldwide is free. 

2 hours ago, rastislav said:

Hi guys, I have made a list of you interested in buying a lightpen and I will start making and shipping them to those still interested, just pls tell me again which version of the lightpen would you like (and if you like the version with the connector, on which side you prefer to have it) and if you like righ or left handed (difference is only on which side of the buttons is the Vectrex logo). The prices are: 100$ for A version, 125$ for C version and 150$ for B version. Shipping worldwide is free. 

I'd like to order one of the "RZ Pen-B".

µP

Edited by Microprofessor
mistyped

8 hours ago, rastislav said:

Hey Rastislav! Please put me down for a Lightpen version B, right handed! Please let me know how I can send you payment - are the prices in USD? (Asking from Canada)

Thanks!

~ Polaris