IGNORED

Using incognito with u1mb/fjc firmware

Bikerbob

I would like to have a thread to be able to discuss the uses and choices for the incognito.

For example. What OS's do or have you used with success or were a waist or pointless. Have you found software that required the original colleen os? Regular xl/xe for everything? Etc.

Have you put your favorite cartridges in the basic rom slot? What about OSS languages. .. I would like to use them.. but they are not basic 8k roms correct? I therefore do not think you could do it with the side loader as well?

What setups on a cf card are you using?

Hope to hear from users.

James

• Like 1

OSS ROMs are not flat 8K carts: correct. As such, they cannot be launched from the loader. However, ebiguy has patched all four OSS programming carts so they may be flashed to and run from the SIDE cart. This isn't especially relevant to Incognito since the cartridge slot is available for use anyway (by original OSS carts, for example; the prime reason for the patched OSS ROMs was to overcome the blockage of the cart port by SIDE on an XL/XE), but it should still work (one would continue to use the Incognito's internal hard disk and use the SIDE cart solely for the purpose of the patched OSS ROMs).

Software which requires a 400/800 OS is fairly well documented and the OS dependencies will be as per normal.

• Like 2

OSS ROMs are not flat 8K carts: correct. As such, they cannot be launched from the loader. However, ebiguy has patched all four OSS programming carts so they may be flashed to and run from the SIDE cart. This isn't especially relevant to Incognito since the cartridge slot is available for use anyway (by original OSS carts, for example; the prime reason for the patched OSS ROMs was to overcome the blockage of the cart port by SIDE on an XL/XE), but it should still work (one would continue to use the Incognito's internal hard disk and use the SIDE cart solely for the purpose of the patched OSS ROMs).

Software which requires a 400/800 OS is fairly well documented and the OS dependencies will be as per normal.

Ok.. so that last line about the Side and the cart slot.. for me on the 800.. I find these patched roms.. and they can be used in the SIDE portion of the ingcog? or I need both a SIDE2 .. which I have and the incog on the HDD? Side2 in the 800 is not going to work well?? Or am I still trying to figure out Who's on first Jon?

James

Ok.. so that last line about the Side and the cart slot.. for me on the 800.. I find these patched roms.. and they can be used in the SIDE portion of the ingcog? or I need both a SIDE2 .. which I have and the incog on the HDD? Side2 in the 800 is not going to work well?? Or am I still trying to figure out Who's on first Jon?

By 'flashed to and run from the SIDE cart', I'm referring specifically to the flash ROM on the SIDE cartridge, not to a hard disk partition. One might exploit the flash ROM of the SIDE2 in these circumstances purely for convenience; patched OSS ROMs already exist for AtariMax carts, and if you have UNO, Ultimate Cart, AVG, you don't need to patch anything at all. Even if you do have a suitable multi-cart, one advantage of the SIDE2 solution is that the OSS cart - once configured - boots 100 per cent of the time just like a real OSS cart, without the need for manual selection via a boot menu.

This is primarily intended for SIDE2 owners who wish to overcome cartridge port contention on XL/XE machines, but as I say: there's no reason why it shouldn't work with the Incognito as well.

As for the patched ROMs themselves: they're not released yet and will be made available when I publish the U1MB/Incognito/SIDE firmware update.

• Like 2

Have you put your favorite cartridges in the basic rom slot? What about OSS languages. .. I would like to use them.. but they are not basic 8k roms correct? I therefore do not think you could do it with the side loader as well?

Altirra Basic and Deluxe Invaders are my two most used programs in the 8K slots. The other slots have Atari Basic and Assembler/Editor.

• Like 1