IGNORED

Jaguar HSC_SEASON 11_ROUND 8

post-38373-0-34056300-1560173724_thumb.jpg

Jaguar HSC__SEASON 11__ROUND 8

(Round Over Sunday 6/23/19)  ROUND COMPLETE

large_1089_Jaguar_TotalCarnage_Box.jpg

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:

Total Carnage

-Start a game of Total Carnage with default settings and lives.  Continues are allowed. Play until you get a game over and snap a picture of your score.  Please add your score in text so I can copy and paste it.   Thank you!

If you are not familiar with the Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282235-jaguar-hsc-season-11-rules-regs-and-scoring/  It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. icon_smile.gif

Total Carnage Scores:

1. Nuclear Pacman        457,669   +10

2. doctor_shred            443,087   +8

3. travistouchdown       230,123    +6

4. Hyper_Eye                59 ,708   +4

5. Machine                    11,090   +2

6. Darrin9999                11,000   +1

7. jblenkle                      3,864   +1

The Current Jaguar HSC Rankings: 

1. doctor_shred               64 Points

2. Major Havoc 2049        46 Points

3. Machine                      41 Points

4. Nuclear Pacman           36 Points

5. masematte                  19 Points

6. travistouchdown           17 Points

7. PFG 9000                     14 Points

8. Punisher 5.0                  8 Points

9. jblenkle                         6 Points

10. Darrin9999                  5 Points

11. CyranoJ                       4 Points

12. Hyper_Eye                   4 Points

13. roadrunner                  2 Points

This game crashed on me about 8 times which was really starting to piss me off. Cleaned the cart and going to give it another play through this weekend. The cart did have some dirt on the contacts (how i have no idea) so hopefully that was it. Actually had a higher score; was on the second level with the jets flying by but then the game crashed. Oh well, having fun and using the keypad is the way to go! It's rough on the overlay, i pushed the one i used out on the edges several times, you almost need a thicker one for this game...might try and make something custom from a thicker piece of plastic.

post-38373-0-34307400-1560342427_thumb.jpg

I've literally only just got this from Carl at Songbird. Mad game that needs a pro-controller to make the most of it. Good fun though.

See; i used to feel that way; but there is no great way to control it with the pro controller either. The shoulder buttons help but it's still awkward.

Having much better luck using the 360 degree fire with the number pad this time around.

Of course I screwed up my initials for high score club. I played a quick little game to re-familiarize with the game (NUK) and then a full game after, actually got the best score I ever had. Yeah, the controls on this game suck no matter the controller, I really wish Songbird would have coded some different control schemes into it. The way the SNES did it was perfect, or even making a second controller act as firing. Oh well, no way to change it now. Still a great game and I really like this version.

I've seen lots of people over the years praise the pro-controller for this game, but I find the scheme to be un-intuitive for the most part. Saying that, it is still an improvement over the standard controller. Since the game utilizes the keypad for an 8-way firing scheme, it actually makes it confusing for the 6-button support up top. You see, the top buttons (Z,Y,X) all shoot down (7,8,9 on the keypad), which I have never been able to get used to, I still get confused even now, so I don't use them. I do use the shoulder buttons to shoot left/right, those are the only buttons that make ergonomic sense to me.

I try to play through most of the game with the shoulder buttons, this allows me constant access to the C button (bombs) when I need it. I can't use the keypad all the time, it hurts my thumb, and also makes it very difficult to hit the C button. 

Something interesting, and I know I've pointed it out before, if you look at my screenshot here, underneath HIGH SCORES you'll see the flamethrower and the jetpack sprites. The Jetpack is not in this game. It would normally show up on the airbase raid where you have to blow up all the fighter planes. It allows you to hover over all those damn mines on that stage.

TotalCarnage1.JPG

• Like 1

total.thumb.jpg.4af9a86c6dd12805ca750b4db9f613de.jpg

I love this kinda game, brings back NES memories of playing Heavy Barrel with a friend. Good times! I just can't get the hang of firing....oh well, I may want to go back to this one and play it some more. Good game, but crazy difficult(or at least crazy number of enemies flying at ya!)....

Been away from home for last three weeks(and will be for the next 2 weeks)..... so I bought a Jaguar to take with me traveling, but it is DOA.  :(

I did buy a spare Jag cpu board when they were on Ebay a few years back. Wanted to save it, at least I have a back up to use...

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

Yeah the mine hit box must be huge. Also, it doesn't help that laying bombs isn't super responsive either, plus there are certain times the game doesn't let you drop a bomb at all, like when you have the rapid-bomb powerup going off. It's been awhile since I've played Arcade Total Carnage, but in this you don't get a shield while you have the rapid-bomb layer. I know you get shielded in Smash TV with the same powerup. 

I can't quite figure out the scoring on this version, dare I say you actually score more points overall if you use the Weasel Warp at the beginning of the game, and then the Orcus Warp shortly after. I'm almost convinced you score more points with the bonus points those give you, rather than travelling through the game on foot.

Well, I think I've perfected my control method with the Pro-Controller. Basically, it's a 3 direction shooting method. I start with Captain Carnage shooting up or down, by holding the B button all the time. If you press either shoulder button to shoot left/right it will temporarily override what the B button is doing.

So, that means when I let go of the shoulder button, it instantly reverts back to shooting the direction I was shooting with the B button. This method requires that you are always holding in the B button. Although it's not true 8-way shooting, it's easier on my thumbs, and allows for constant access to the C button which is necessary to drop bombs (which give temporary invincibility, the real secret to the game).

Anyway, I've played through this at least 5 times since I posted my high score and have not topped it yet. Still trying to figure out the quirks with the scoring. I think it just comes down to making sure you take every single warp, which can be tough if you start the screen scrolling in the wrong direction. That can cause you to miss some bonus warps. If you get the 180 keys to the Pleasure Domes, well I don't want to spoil it, but it's not a lucrative scoring opportunity.

• Like 1

Yeah i certainly got much deeper into this game than i ever have before.  It certainly is a flawed port; from the game crashing randomly to the lack of an ideal control scheme.  That being said it's loads of fun.  I had a friend over yesterday and we just about beat it with two player which was a blast.  I've become pretty used to using the keypad as the multi directional shot; and am finding it to work pretty well.

I tried to update the HSC lead post twice; and was given an error message both times.  I'll try again this afternoon; and will post the new round once i can finalize the scores from this round.  Hopefully this isn't a repeat issue because its very time consuming to update/calculate everything manually.   So needless to say it was frustrating when all my work was erased.