IGNORED

Atari ST 32Mbit games / diagnostics cartridge

I posted this on AF a little while ago and thought i'd share it here. I designed a switch-based multicart to try P Putnik's cartridge game conversions on a real ST, it has 32 128k banks and uses a single 27c322 16-bit EPROM. Cartridge images need to be exactly 128k and byte-swapped

stcart2.jpg

As far as I can see, all of the games work fine on my machine (Atari STE with 4mb RAM).

stmulti2.jpg

Works fine as a test cart too, I added all the diagnostics and utility cartridge images i could find.

stcart.jpg

• Like 2

Cool! :)

So, does the ST still boot to a desktop and the selected ROM image is accessible as a drive letter?

No, nothing that fancy :) You select the ROM image you want using the dipswitches on the board, then power on the ST. It just acts like a single ROM cartridge until you power down and select a different image with the switches.

Most of games what I converted for cartridge is AUTO run or boot run. So, it will start from cartridge automatically after reset. There is one, what needs to start from Desktop - Star Raiders.

Cartridge port using not regular file access system - you can not access files on it with usual file access commands/way.

And correction - must be not exact 128 KB, may be less :) And may put couple short games in 1 slot - then selection appears after reset.

where can I find info on how to prepare a ROM for a cartridge? I'd love to make a variation of PLATOTERM in this form.

-Thom

http://atari.8bitchip.info/cartST.html

Of course, only shorter games, SW may fit. But with efficient packing, + not including title music for instance, many can fit. Even some 2 floppy games like Great Giana Sisters .

• Like 1

Cart will not look as GEMDOS drive, as is said above.

But you can make PRG with integrated RSC - that even saves some bytes on total size.

And when there is RSC, it can not work in pure AUTO run mode - GEM/AES must be initialized before program start.

So, user will need to put pseudo drive c: (small c) on Desktop, and there may start it with doubleclick. Not too elegant.

Maybe better is to make it as ACC - then can autostart practically - well , another headache session with poor API :)

• 1 year later...

Hi bought this card to give it a look, it works fine and i'm wondering if it can also emulate the spectre128 card...

did anyone tested with a 128k apple rom? i'm waiting for a 27c322 eprom to try myself.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, Vulcanman said:

Hi TGB1718,

Thanks for the diagram. The board also has 7 resistors,  2 x 3 legged diodes and an ON/OFF switch.

The dip switches all appear to be serviceable, so I'll check the resistance from each switch to the corresponding address line and go from there.

Regards

I thought there should be pullup resistors, but the photo's didn't show any

Hi TGB1718,

the pull up resistors are on the underside of the board, under the dip switches.

IMG_20211105_172311_1.thumb.jpg.98dffe2959625de7a23e39d2a3a4c1db.jpg

So I've con checked from the switches to the address pins (switch 1 to A20, switch 2 to A19 etc) and they are all good. The only thing I can think of now is there is an internal fault with the chip causing pin 32 (A20) to be held high whether switch 1 is off or on.

Unfortunately I don't have an eprom programmer that can handle 42 pin chips.

Regards