IGNORED

Atari 2600 Controller Painting

Indcsion

I'd advise against painting them. There are a lot of variables when it comes to painting plastics. Especially those that will be handled often. Gold or metallic paints are even worse. Some paints won't dry properly, some rub off easily. It's just too much of a gamble in my opinion.

• Like 1

Whether to not you decide to paint the controller is up to you, but as RamrodHare stated the results may not be good or just not as good as you thought it would be.

What you have to ask yourself before proceeding is are you prepared for that possibility and would you be happy using the Joystick if that was the case? If not the I would not proceed, I have not customised a 2600 controller but if you are going to proceed then...

a) If you do sand it first I suggest using a very fine grade like wet & dry to ensure the paint can cover any marks.

b) If model paints are still oil based they may be the best to use as some aerosol paints may have solvents that could attack the plastic.

c) If possible practice on a old dead Joystick first, preferable one of the same type and age and thus probably the same plastic composition.

Funny; I was discussing this subject with my cousin last week since he paints and solders and he was interested in side projects for some cash.

We were discussing painting CX40 joysticks to match the various color schemes of the different Atari computers. All gray - like the "rare" official XEGS versions - to match the ST and XE lines; the "tan" color - or whatever that color is, cream-ish? - of the XLs on the sides [but leave the top black]; and the "beige" of the 400/800s...

Which reminds me... the first person who I ever saw do custom paint jobs to [Atari] computers and equipment was Jay Pierstorff in his Atari computer store - called "Computer Safari" -in nearby Woodland, CA. He'd custom paint STs, especially with a "safari" motif [zebra stripes]... I wish I had pics of them.