IGNORED

Nintendo Direct recap from E3 2019

digdugnate

I dunno, I think I'm going in the opposite direction from everyone else. The longer the switch is out, the LESS I want one. All of the games look like some version of a game from Nintendo that I already own but haven't played yet.

Here's a bulleted list for those that don't want to read the article

• I'm too old for Pokémon and always have been, but I do own some of the early games and have always intended to play them (but haven't)
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - I missed this on the Gamecube and still haven't tracked it down. I'd like to of course, but backlog blah blah
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - I loved this on Gameboy, but I already have a substantial backlog of Zelda games (including BOTW)
  • MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3 - probably the most interesting game on the list (for me) but how long until it gets backported to XBone or PS4?
  • Fire Emblem - I own some games from this series, but I've never gotten around to playing one
  • Animal Crossing - I tried this in a previous generation and decided this series is just not for me
  • ASTRAL CHAIN - I don't know what this one is. Could be interesting, I'll have to look it up.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I just couldn't care less about this series. It might as well be another sports title. Sure I bet it is fun, but I don't "game" like this.
  • BOTW 2 - see Link's Awakening above
  • No More Heroes 3 - I want this, but I still haven't finished 2
  • Like 1

I dunno, I think I'm going in the opposite direction from everyone else. The longer the switch is out, the LESS I want one. All of the games look like some version of a game from Nintendo that I already own but haven't played yet.

Here's a bulleted list for those that don't want to read the article

• I'm too old for Pokémon and always have been, but I do own some of the early games and have always intended to play them (but haven't)
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - I missed this on the Gamecube and still haven't tracked it down. I'd like to of course, but backlog blah blah
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - I loved this on Gameboy, but I already have a substantial backlog of Zelda games (including BOTW)
  • MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3 - probably the most interesting game on the list (for me) but how long until it gets backported to XBone or PS4?
  • Fire Emblem - I own some games from this series, but I've never gotten around to playing one
  • Animal Crossing - I tried this in a previous generation and decided this series is just not for me
  • ASTRAL CHAIN - I don't know what this one is. Could be interesting, I'll have to look it up.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I just couldn't care less about this series. It might as well be another sports title. Sure I bet it is fun, but I don't "game" like this.
  • BOTW 2 - see Link's Awakening above
  • No More Heroes 3 - I want this, but I still haven't finished 2

thanks! it's a long tl;dr list, i realized, lol. I'll go along with this and add my thoughts :)

* We're all big Pokemon nerds here. Nintendo is gonna get us for one Sword/Shield pack and then an additional game (wife, son, me).

* I'm not interested in the slightest in Luigi's Mansion, though it looks neat :) I didn't realize there was a second one!

* I'm on the fence about Link's Awakening. I had it on GB and i finally finished BotW a couple months ago.

* Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks like a lot of fun! I hope it's similar in gameplay to the now-defunct Marvel Heroes (Omega) MMO where it's Diablo-esque. It kinda looks like that.

* Fire Emblem - solid pass from me- i tried playing it on the 3DS and just couldn't get into the series though I really like tactical RPGs.

* Animal Crossing - my wife is bummed she has to wait till March! When it comes out I'll never see again. ;)

* Super Smash - meeeeeh! lol- i bought a copy in December, unlocked the characters, finished the RPG mode, traded it in to get my son Doom.

* BOTW 2 -- woohoo! it looks cool. i joked with my son that Nintendo will release it alongside its new Switch Pro and make it exclusive ;)

I'm interested in checking out Cadence of Hyrule, Rad if it comes out this summer, FFVIII, and the Mana collection if I decide I've lost my mind and want more JRPGs to play. Not sure yet about the Dark Crystal tactical RPG.

Gonna add my list as well, why not.

1. I don't really care for Pokémon either, although I'm not old (however, how old is too old for Pokémon? I'm 21). The universe just does nothing for me, it doesn't appeal me at all;

2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - for me one of the highlights of the Direct. Absolutely loved everything about this game, the spooky hotel, the exploration, combat with ghosts, different "weapons" to tackle different kinds of ghost. Awesome stuff;

3. Never played Link's Awakening. I'm really liking the art style in this reboot, so cute!! Combat and exploration look fun. Creating dungeons sounds really cool, hope we could share designs with friends;

4. Marvel Ultimate Alliance: The Black Order. I've been warming up to this title. With every new video I watch of this, the more I actually think I'll have plenty of fun with this game, and want to try it with friends who are into Marvel super heroes.

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Not gonna buy it. The in-game graphics looked absolutely horrendous the first time we saw it, ever since I don't think we've seen anything that has really excited me, even though I too enjoy tactical RPGs. Even now, the game coming out in 2 months, in the Direct they only showed anime cutscenes, no gameplay. Don't really know if they are showing gameplay at Treehouse?

6. Really enjoyed what I saw. I like the setting and the crafting/survival elements. The graphics are way better now, and hopefully even better next year!

7. Astral Chain. Saw raw gameplay in the Treehouse and actually thought it looked boring. Need to see more about that.

8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Bought the game at launch, played it a bunch. Banjo was a fucking awesome surprise, but I don't think I'm purchasing the DLC. Banjo in Smash is awesome because of what it represents.

9. BotW sequel completely hit me by surprise. Was not expecting that at all. Looks interesting, wonder if the story is gonna be too similar as the last one.

My personal highlight of the Direct: Luigi's Mansion 3, baby.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Edited by YoungGrumpyMan
  • Like 1

For me the highlights of this E3 were a couple games shown briefly during the clip reel at the end of Nintendo's Direct presentation: New Super Lucky's Tale and Alien: Isolation.

New Super Lucky's Tale is an enhanced version of Super Lucky's Tale for the Xbox One (previously an Xbox exclusive) remade from the ground up just for the Switch with new content, new levels, and a 360° camera. The original Super Lucky's Tale is without a doubt my all time favorite 3D platformer so I'm beyond thrilled to see an enhanced version coming to the Switch, and on a physical cartridge no less!

NdHmZ8n.jpg

As far as Alien: Isolation goes, well, if I had to pick a game to nominate for "best horror game of all time" this would certainly be the one. I'll be pre-ordering both New Super Lucky's Tale and Alien: Isolation as soon as pre-orders open up. :)

There's also the latest entry in my favorite first-person shooters series Doom: Eternal, a beautiful looking remake of my favorite Zelda game The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening , and Luigi's Mansion 3 (with the return of the awesomely adorable polterpup to boot!) that I plan to purchase day 1.

My wallet is crying, but I couldn't be happier with Nintendo's E3 this year! The two games that I so wanted to see ported to the Switch above all others, Super Lucky's Tale and Alien: Isolation, are both on the way and there's a heck of a lot more to look forward to as well! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

There's some stuff I might be more interested in the more I see of it, but the one thing I'm really excited about right now is the Panzer Dragoon remake.

WOW that looks gorgeous. I wasn't expecting the art to go full Moëbius like that. Day one for me, like just about every other Sega throwback on the Switch.

https://youtu.be/x5A963J4nvE

• Like 3

A little off topic, but here is a "Retro" update from E3 that I found on a Facebook group. MOAR bullets!

• Amico/Intellivision - 22 games (waiting on videos/announcements), 5 console colors
  • AtariVCS - Offering pre-orders at Walmart and Gamestop (no commentary, just listing it)
  • Limited Run - Switch - Turok + Turok 2 physical release (n64 games)
  • Limited Run - Star Wars Classics for PS4, starting with Bounty Hunter, then star wars(nes), esb(nes), x-wing, rebel assault 1+2, tie fighter, dark forces, jedi knight (df2), shadow of empire, jedi knight 2, jedi knight academy, pod-racer, racer revenge
  • Limited Run - Sega CD Classics remastered - Corpse Killer + Double Switch
  • Konami - Contra Anniversary Collection released
  • Switch – Collection of Mana, tons of Final Fantasy stuff announced
  • TurboGrafx16 mini (made by Konami), no price/date
  • Arcade1up - TMNT machine 2 games
  • Arcade1up - Marvel v Capcom
  • Arcade1up - Head to Head cocktail tables with Namco or Street Fighter
  • Sega Mini – game play footage, someone said best mini ever even better than snes
  • MyArcade has a handheld ($80) that you can plug in NES and famicom carts
  • Like 1

Basically going by what I saw September is going to be a painful month. I want Dragon Quest and have been avoiding the deepening discounts on Steam for it on Switch, yet also Zelda is out within that same week as is Ni no Kuni which I never got around to on PS3. I don't see how I'd ever find time for all three around life and releases after, so odds are if I had to cut one i'll never play Ni no Kuni and it would be a trick trying to pull those two other beasts off.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looks more like a return to the original with one large mansion (hotel in this case) with some older mechanics involved. I may want this, but I had and really ended up disliking #2 Dark Moon a lot as it was so disjointed, confusing in places, and just not very fun to me, even the bosses while not hard were just annoying so if it was more like that I'd avoid it.

The BIG win here for me is the Mana blowout! The fact they kept it quiet so long and wham Collection of Mana appears, instantly basically was stunning. I almost clicked it through, but I found that on the last few days of August this year a PHYSICAL release will arrive at Gamestop/Walmart at retail for the same price, so I'm waiting on it. I've wanted that since it popped up in Japan entirely unreadable. Yet they also go ahead and do a full gameplay and 3D update to SD3 as Trials of Mana which is also coming out next year, I'd buy that, definitely. Mana was always a great franchise but the earlier releases set a bar the later never hit.

Shame but understandable about Animal Crossing, that game got stale too, but that one looks amazing being able to start at a deserted island and not have anything but your hands to craft and entire town with, roads, plants, structures, and all that stuff to basically from the looks of it bait animals to move into your space. I like the idea as it adds creativity the old game didn't have beyond your own four walls.

The Smash info was boring to me until DQ popped up with the Hero and the puzzle piece to why MS cared -- Banjo popping up in the game too, that's cool. It won't make me buy it but it's nice for the fans.

And am I ever ready for the Zelda BOTW sequel that seems to continue the story of the original. I was on a I'm done with it trip on the very boring wash rinse repeat Zelda fell into as I was buying and going less into each successive title after Wind Waker, but BOTW I couldn't put down unless I saw the clock and made it so. As to the other clip reel stuff, no real comment, either the short blips or the bigger covered segements go, they seem nice but just not enough known to care.

Beyond that Panzer Dragoon is a must, stunning game on Saturn and it should truly amaze on Switch, and it gives me hope if does ok enough Sega puts up the direct sequel it had too as it was equally great if not better.

After that there's Doom Eternal, but I heard a rumor it's digital only, so if it is I'm not buying it on there but on Steam because if I'm paying up, I'll pay for a cross OS updated release in better performance condition and likely at a nice price cut on there with all those seasonal sales by the time I can get to it. Same will be said as much with also that Wolfenstein title too. I don't buy digital only at retail box prices let alone 1/2 releases with forced downloads as they might as well not exist at all.

• Like 2

I would love it if Sega would go all the way up to releasing PD Orta on Switch. That game was criminally under-appreciated, and its HD update on the Xbox One is too. (I'm pretty sure you need the original game to play it, which not many people have, so not many people have ever seen one of the most beautiful Xbox One games out there.)

I do really hope PD will be a physical game. I haven't been following most of Sega's re-releases on the Switch because I understand they're digital only in the US. I *might* break my no-download policy for PD, but I'd be a lot happier to have it on a cart.

Edited by spacecadet

Limited Run - Star Wars Classics for PS4, starting with Bounty Hunter, then star wars(nes), esb(nes), x-wing, rebel assault 1+2, tie fighter, dark forces, jedi knight (df2), shadow of empire, jedi knight 2, jedi knight academy, pod-racer, racer revenge

All of that should be on one disc. If they break it up into multiple releases that would be bullshit.

It's LRG, companies like that thrive on bullshit as that's how they stay profitable. :D You do individual releases, number them, set a moderate to moderately annoying price, limit the stock, and drive all the collectors in general nuts but couple that with Star Wars fans it'll get downright ugly if they follow their standard model of operation.

I would love it if Sega would go all the way up to releasing PD Orta on Switch. That game was criminally under-appreciated, and its HD update on the Xbox One is too. (I'm pretty sure you need the original game to play it, which not many people have, so not many people have ever seen one of the most beautiful Xbox One games out there.)

You can use the original disc or buy the download version for ten bucks.

I agree that it would be nice if Orta was available on other platforms.

Regarding the LRG Star Wars games...

I received an email today from them with a big list of the games announced at E3, and the only Star Wars ones that specifically says PS4 are Bounty Hunter & Racer Revenge. The rest all say their original respective platforms. Here is the Star Wars portion of the list.

Star Wars (NES, Game Boy)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS4)

Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)

Star Wars Episode I: Racer (PC, N64)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (NES, Game Boy)

Star Wars: Jedi Knight (PC)

Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)

Star Wars: Racer Revenge (PS4)

Star Wars: Rebel Assault (PC)

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (PC, N64)

Star Wars: TIE Fighter (PC)

Star Wars: X-Wing (PC)

Could LRG be doing physical versions for NES, GB, N64, and PC, rather than all of them for PS4?

Unless they're going to dive into digital release packages for the sake of a larger audience, I think it's fairly implied by their history they would be making new cartridges for the old systems. The fact they have the Ep1 Racer has PC/N64 makes me believe this more so because there would be no reason otherwise really to mention that, same with Shadows too.

I'd love a new links awakening. I think that was my favorite Zelda ever, even over the snes link to the past one. Never liked the 3d ones.

I guess I'm different than the majority of this crowd, in that I love pokemon, but... After that abortion pikachu/evo game, I doubt I'll pick up any future titles. I might if I got to play with it first, but in my area, switch is basically dead, so the likelihood of me finding someone with a switch, and some future pokemon game, is basically zero.

Unless they put the campaign back into ssb, I just don't see the point of getting it.

If super luckys tail is really a thing, I'll definitely get that title though, that and rare replay are the only reason I miss the Xbox one.

Most the other titles aren't really my flavor, but there's still a ton coming out this year I'm looking forward to.

Could LRG be doing physical versions for NES, GB, N64, and PC, rather than all of them for PS4?

Yes, they're not PS4 titles. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and Racer Revenge are only happening because they're part of Sony's PS2 Classics line on the PS4.

I was excited when I first saw it, thinking that X-Wing and TIE Fighter were coming to a console.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, they're not PS4 titles. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter and Racer Revenge are only happening because they're part of Sony's PS2 Classics line on the PS4.

I was excited when I first saw it, thinking that X-Wing and TIE Fighter were coming to a console.

my thinking on console versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter would be 'how would it work on a controller?' the originals had tons of keyboard commands.

• Like 1

Yeah, that would be an issue.

Hopefully if it ever came to pass and they managed to shoehorn everything in, they'd also support an optional USB keyboard and mouse at least (Microsoft has made it an option and I think Sony has been allowing it since the PS2 days, albeit rarely taken advantage of).